FINALLY... back in the water / ATX50 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an hour and half underwater with my new ATX50/DS4. The second stage is substantially lighter and smaller with bubble interference only slightly worse than the TX40 in the vertical position. Of course, it breaths like any Apeks adjustable reg -- like a dream.
In all, I would rate it excellant. I wouldn't get an ATX second stage for a backup as the weight savings wouldn't matter, IMO. Thus far, I don't believe it's vastly better than the TX50, so I'm not likely going to switch my deco regs to ATX50's. It will make a great primary reg and, so far, I give it a thumbs up.

:)

Mike

I like the ATX 50 better than the TX 50 solely because of the exhaust tee on the TX 50 will come off.

That must be some pretty wicked current down there, Divesherpa :D. Your account of having the exhuast T come off is a first for me. Mine hasn't wiggled in a 3 knot current. I wonder what's up with that. Do you take yours on and off a lot or something?

Mike

O.K., first off... my dives were cancelled this weekend (Everybody went to the Gran Prix)

So no deep dive report (Next week for sure)

Secondly I use the DST, with the 1/2" port and turret and Love it, I was going to invest in the DS4 for my primary and use the DST for my deco setup (will happen sooner or later, but not now)

Lastly between the Apeks and ScubaPro, you really can't go wrong either way. I like the apeks, that's why I bought it. But I can't say anything bad about the Mark25/s600 combo it's top notch. For me, I dive COLD water and SANDY beach entry's, I like the Apeks system for those two reasons. The environmental seal on the Apeks is excellent and easily replaced. Also, because I dive shore dives a lot, The apeks 2'nd stage can actually be taken "semi" apart underwater should some sand get in there.

My best advice is try em before you buy em.

I'll be back next week with a deep water report...

Originally posted by wheezy
The apeks 2'nd stage can actually be taken "semi" apart underwater should some sand in there.

wheezy-
I have heard about this before..how do ya do it? is it difficult?

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Just unscrew the faceplate.

Mike
ok - i can handle that if it was ever needed - but my ATX50/DS4 is -still_ back-ordered with simplyscuba - they said they'd contact APEKS to hurry their re-stock along...guess i just have to wait...

I haven't needed to take a reg apart underwater, but I have demonstrated it for students.

Good luck getting your reg.

Mike

wheezy,
thanks!

however...

I dive COLD water and SANDY beach entry's, I like the Apeks system for those two reasons

i dive in warm water though. after looking into the price again. i may have to go with MK16/S550 instead of MK25/S600. MK16/S550/R190 and DST/ATX50/ATX40 are in the same price range. what do you suggest?

Back
Top Bottom