Fin recommendation (light weight)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scbababe:
Hi... Well, I'm not a weak swimmer but I vote for the Volos, I have a pair and I love them.. It also has to do with her kick, and if she has strong legs. Because when I do beach dives I wear my jet fins and they're great too...

Volos look like nice fins, but I've seen too many of them break at their weak points on the "hinge". I talked to one Aussie who told me they were his third pair! Sorry, but at those prices.....

Allison Finch:
Volos look like nice fins, but I've seen too many of them break at their weak points on the "hinge". I talked to one Aussie who told me they were his third pair! Sorry, but at those prices.....
Any chance that they warranty them?

KrisB:
Any chance that they warranty them?

On other posts here on Scubaboard, I've read that the breakage problem existed on earlier versions for the original Volo, but not the last version of the original Volo and not on the Volo Power, the model currently sold. I've also read that they can be replaced under warranty.

FYI: The cheapest I've price I've seen for the Volo Powers is $105.95. I bought mine for $107.95 -- much more than Aeris Velocity's (my wife's) at $54.95.

- Phil

I'd say Mares Volos. I have weak ankles and these are really easy to kick.
They also work well in kicks other than the flutter (like frog kicking) which some of the "jet" style fins don't

illumiGeek:
I have been taking a non-diving friend snorkling quite a lot lately (she's even thinking about getting certified). I've been loaning her a set of old jet type fins I had, and she has been doing pretty well with those. But she is not a strong swimmer and I've been thinking she might do better with something lighter weight & easier to kick.

She prefers to wear booties, so full foot fins are out (I personally use Oceanic Caribe fins and absolutely love them).

I was looking at the Aeris Velocity, or maybe something even smaller and lighter like the Dacor Tracker?

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Aloha, iG

I bought the full foot Aeris V's a while back, hopped in the water, and hated them at first. I didn't feel like they were propelling me. I was so used to a heavier, stiffer fin, they felt like nothing on my foot, no transfer of stress up the leg. It turns out they just felt much better than I was used to, and in fact provide great propulsion.
I went out and bought the pocket model as well for local, cold water diving. I’d highly recommend them.

Not sure why you'd rule out full foot fins. They are usually lighter than the adjustable variety, which is better for someone who's not a strong swimmer. The heel cup helps deliver more power to the fin and takes some of the stress off the top of the instep. For some folks, the open toe pocket helps minmize toe cramps too.

I've been diving with Cressi Rondines full foot fins since the 1970's with a bootie, Just use a bootie or a neoprene sock and fit the fin while wearing the bootie or sock. I really like the Aeris Velocity full foot fin which replaced the Rondines.

Cast another vote for the Aeries Velocity. I have open-heel fins and find them to be the best I have tried so far, and are probably the better choice for snorkeling over jet fins. (Have not tried the Volo, so can't comment).

Scubamax

Back
Top Bottom