Fin pocket size comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob9000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
With my recent desire to go to a rock boot type of over-boot with my dry suit, I looked at new fins since my size 13 feet would require a big foot pocket to accommodate a lace up boot with a more robust sole instead of a neoprene boot with a thin sole. Pocket size seemed to depend more upon width than anything. The boots I am using are the Bare Trek in XXL size (they also make a XXXL that was wider and longer - my foot tends to be a little smallish on the 13 side.

Below are the fins I either own or looked at...in order from largest foot pocket to smallest for a XL fin:

- Mares (the Quattro and X3) is the largest foot pocket of the group (but not necessarily over all fins on the market)
- Oceanic was next (V12)
- ScubaPro TwinJets
- Aqualung Caravelle (note - the Rocket might fit differently than their blade fins)
- Atomic Split Fins

The Mares and Oceanic seemed easy to take off once donned. The ScubaPro TwinJets were borderline. The Aqualung Caravelles were a handful to take off, and if I actually got the Atomic on all the way I don't think it would ever come off. The Atomic split fins have a long and narrow pocket - I think it would be difficult to fit any over-boot in to them.

You'll notice I didn't try the traditional ScubaPro jet fin - it wasn't in stock and I wasn't too interested in it, but I understand it accommodates boots fairly well. I also didn't try the Force Fin Pro, which I want but was not in stock with the Force Fin people or scuba.com. I also didn't try the Rocket, which if it is copying the ScubaPro might also have a large pocket.

I owned the TwinJets and Caravelles going in to this decision. I stopped using the TwinJets in favor of the Caravelles. I was reluctant to buy another split fin since I didn't like the TwinJets but was open to the Bio Fin XT or the Atomics. I didn't see Bio Fins in their largest size. I ended up buying the Mares Quattros. I will make an attempt at a Force Fin purchase some time down the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom