Filter Tower Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on rjack321's post you are only going to get you will only get about 200 dives from a filter. Seems like a pretty low cost to me.

Understood, and I'm good with that. My perception was that he was implying that I needed something more. $60 + gas for 20,000cf of gas is fine by me

There I've fixed it for you. Horizontal HP filters on a SA-6 who would have thought. LOL

I should add to avoid confusion that the green tubes are where two (2) sidewinder missiles fit
and the black tubes on the back of the frame are the where two (2) stainless moly sieve repack cartriges fit, just in case anyone gets confused with what goes where.
Seek and ye shall find.

HSM-SA-6-mil-spec-RAF

View attachment 618620

View attachment 618621[/url]

So, can filters be ran on there side, or is there a special design to those filters that makes them unique?

So, can filters be ran on there side, or is there a special design to those filters that makes them unique?

Its all about the detail. Unfortunatly you have bought a filter/separator and not a standard small filter so have lost the advantage of the SA-6 would have given you.
A bit late now but a simple 16 or 18 inch tower and mounted in between the engine and the pump shroud as the exhaust is well away from the tower would have been a better solution or alternative mount the small filter tower outboard of the frame and it dont poke out above the frame.

The mil spec SA-6 in the photo was a version I made for a specific application creating liquid air and producing a very dry -100 dewpoint HP air supply basically using standard filter towers. Just with better quality molecular sieve than the junk you are sold for scuba. Not sure I can say too much more on a open forum regarding the missile but to get back to your application you have two (2) separators on the frame already that with a NRV downstream and a standard short filter tower would have done the job better IMHO rather than that big (vertical mount only) filter separator

So I'm ignorant, take this with that in mind because I'm green. When you say no filtration are you taking into account that it's an oil less compressor? The Rix is supposed to produse grade E air exactly how it sits in the box. The only issue is that it's "wet", which is why I got the filter tower to remove any residual moisture.

The rix does have the 2 coalescers (or however you say that) on the side. They need to be bled every 10-15 min or so.

Are you saying that I need something more?

Out of the box your pump will:
Pump soaking wet gas
Has no provision to remove CO produced from the engine which is right there. (or any other exhaust source like a car in the driveway of the welding shop - gas engine exhaust has percent quantities of CO and you want single digit parts per million to be safe)
Has no provision to remove any volatiles, for instance petrol/gas fumes from refueling drips or the welding shop atmoshere

Yes it's oil-less, that doesnt mean its grade E no matter what the marketing says

Its all about the detail. Unfortunatly you have bought a filter/separator and not a standard small filter so have lost the advantage of the SA-6 would have given you.
A bit late now but a simple 16 or 18 inch tower and mounted in between the engine and the pump shroud as the exhaust is well away from the tower would have been a better solution or alternative mount the small filter tower outboard of the frame and it dont poke out above the frame.

The mil spec SA-6 in the photo was a version I made for a specific application creating liquid air and producing a very dry -100 dewpoint HP air supply basically using standard filter towers. Just with better quality molecular sieve than the junk you are sold for scuba. Not sure I can say too much more on a open forum regarding the missile but to get back to your application you have two (2) separators on the frame already that with a NRV downstream and a standard short filter tower would have done the job better IMHO rather than that big (vertical mount only) filter separator

I'll just have to keep it outside the unit. I do appreciate your input, I'll take all I can get.

Out of the box your pump will:
Pump soaking wet gas
Has no provision to remove CO produced from the engine which is right there. (or any other exhaust source like a car in the driveway of the welding shop - gas engine exhaust has percent quantities of CO and you want single digit parts per million to be safe)
Has no provision to remove any volatiles, for instance petrol/gas fumes from refueling drips or the welding shop atmoshere

Yes it's oil-less, that doesnt mean its grade E no matter what the marketing says

Ok, again I'm very green. I can't express that enough. I understand about the engine being right there. I'll need some type of snorkel / intake ran 10-15' away with filter on it that gives adequate enough to supply the intake. Plan was to take this outside and fill somewhere away from all the hussle and bussle of the shop, never in the shop, never around the shop.

Also get one of those visual indicators that does both CO and moisture to go after the filter but before the BPV

Put another way some filters you can mount horizontally (but not all) but separators in the main must be mounted vertically.

Again the detail drives the answer. First you need to call the "filters" Chemical dehydrator filter towers.
These generally are two types the first flow up the centre tube into the chemical the second type flow up the outside of the filter crtridge and then down from the top into the chemical cartridge.

The 2nd type are found on pretty much all the cheap compressor designs when the filter tower can also act as a cheap separator like the Bauer Triplex, P21 etc while the more expensive say Bauer P41 P61 would use the first flow option.

For the filter design I produced for the sidewinder the water condensate was removed by the two (2) small separators on the modified SA block. The HP gas then went straight into the first tower but met silica gel (not molecular sieve)

This absorbed any water droplets or condensed water vapour as the gas was still at 100% humidity at this point.
Then it meets Activated Alumina this again is very tolerant of liquid water and does not produce an exothermic reaction as straight molecular sieve would have done, After this Molecular sieve is used to adsorb the remaining water vapour and reduce the dewpoint. Small 15mm thick 7Mu poyester filter pads separated the various chemicals in the pack.

Put another way some filters you can mount horizontally (but not all) but separators in the main must be mounted vertically.

Again the detail drives the answer. First you need to call the "filters" Chemical dehydrator filter towers.
These generally are two types the first flow up the centre tube into the chemical the second type flow up the outside of the filter crtridge and then down from the top into the chemical cartridge.

The 2nd type are found on pretty much all the cheap compressor designs when the filter tower can also act as a cheap separator like the Bauer Triplex, P21 etc while the more expensive say Bauer P41 P61 would use the first flow option.

For the filter design I produced for the sidewinder the water condensate was removed by the two (2) small separators on the modified SA block. The HP gas then went straight into the first tower but met silica gel (not molecular sieve)
this absorbed any water droplets or condensed water vapour as the gas was still at 100% humidity at this point.
Then it meets Activated Alumina this again is very tolerant of liquid water and does not produce an exothermic reaction as straight molecular sieve would have done, After this Molecular sieve is used to adsorb the remaining water vapour and reduce the dewpoint. Small 15mm thick 7Mu poyester filter pads separated the various chemicals in the pack.

Well that answers that question. Mine is of the design of the latter, cheaper type...vertical only it is. I figured as much, just couldn't find a "why not" anywhere.

Thank you.

are you taking into account that it's an oil less compressor? The Rix is supposed to produse grade E air exactly how it sits in the box.

This is where we all need to be careful what we say and what we assume.

1. Its oil less. So what so are Rix methane compressors and you would'nt want to rig one of them up second hand for breathing air.

2. The Rix is supposed to produce grade E, Again care is needed in these assumptions Rix produce a number of compressors for a number of gases (including breathing air) we need to be careful here with assuming the generic term Rix.

You bought a compressor second hand and not for its original application or nesesarary with all the components that went with the originally build or known application.

I have had this problem before, we all know and use the term SA-6 myself included as its so well known but each specific appliction has a specific model number or build number for example the (SA-6) build model number for the sidewinder missile compressor in the photo goes with the catchy title of HSM1S3B-6EH-AQS

This is where we all need to be careful what we say and what we assume.

1. Its oil less. So what so are Rix methane compressors and you would'nt want to rig one of them up second hand for breathing air.

2. The Rix is supposed to produce grade E, Again care is needed in these assumptions Rix produce a number of compressors for a number of gases (including breathing air) we need to be careful here with assuming the generic term Rix.

You bought a compressor second hand and not for its original application or nesesarary with all the components that went with the originally build or known application.

I have had this problem before, we all know and use the term SA-6 myself included as its so well known but each specific appliction has a specific model number or build number for example the (SA-6) build model number for the sidewinder missile compressor in the photo goes with the catchy title of HSM1S3B-6EH-AQS

So what was it's original purpose and what parts are needed?

I know I need an intake, the filter tower, a check valve, fill whips, and a PMV set to 1800-2000 psi after the filter tower. Also plans to install a visual indicator with a color changing disk so I can leave the tower under pressure at all times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom