Filter Tower Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Good day all. I've been reading a ton about compressors, trying to find out if it matters which way the tower is installed? All the pictures I've seen have them straight up and down, but would it have any effect to mount at an angle? I can't find anything to confirm or deny. I understand best practice would just be to put it like every compressor filter tower out there, but I'm curious why?

Thanks.

Anybody know the answer? I looked a little more today and I can't find anything concrete either way.

Moisture has weight and is affected by gravity

they need to work standing up, thats how they are designed

I appreciate the responses, and I'm sure that's true. I was just trying to figure out why?

I appreciate the responses, and I'm sure that's true. I was just trying to figure out why?
because they are also condensers and water will collect at the base, if you lay it on its side that puddle is along the sidewall and not where its supposed to be.
also as your media saturates you want it to get wetter from the bottom up. if it gets wetter from the side up you are creating preferential flow paths through the now ineffective media

because they are also condensers and water will collect at the base, if you lay it on its side that puddle is along the sidewall and not where its supposed to be.
also as your media saturates you want it to get wetter from the bottom up. if it gets wetter from the side up you are creating preferential flow paths through the now ineffective media

Thank you, that makes the most sense. I mean, I know it seems logical to put them straight up, I've only ever seen them mounted that way, but was just curious as to why.

What rjack321 said. Be sure to have a PMV behind the stack too, improved the filter saturation time.

My tower is on it's way. Need to get it in hand and see what other pieces are needed. PMV, check valve, fill whip... just want to make sure I see what I need before I just go ordering a bunch of stuff.

Ok, can a tower be stored on it's side when not in use?

Truth be told my compressor is on it's way. It's coming in a nice little storage box that clips down on itself. I'd like to be able to fit and maybe mount the tower inside of the storage box and I think the 21" tower I ordered might be a hair to big (but I could be wrong, it might fit fine).

Attachments

• IMG_1535.jpg
    IMG_1535.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1536.jpg
    IMG_1536.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 121

Back
Top Bottom