Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is anyone able to run these profiles through Add Helium's TruDive Planning software?

A wreck dive is essentially a square profile. Whatever TruDive claims to be doing, it won't change much to the deco obligations (*).
As a side note, the Trudive demo video shows settings which I assume are AH-approved:
GF30/85, Buhlman ZH16C (which is what I used in the plans above) and SP 1.2 and as:
diluent: 10/50
bottom gas: 10/35 (AL40!)
rich gas: 50% (AL40)
for a dive at 170 ft (at 5:00 in the video).

If I plug those parameters in the previous plans:
Dive 1 (30 min BT): 123 min
SI: 3 hr
Dive 2 (30 min BT): 136 min
SI: 1 hr
Dive 3 (15 min BT): 72 min

Total: 123 + 136 + 72 + 3*4.5 = 345
Still close from the max 400 l of a 2 l cylinder.

(*) If I understand the claims, it is essentially a way to plan your max dive time given your bailout and RMV (they use the MINIMUM RMV for planning BTW, as Sotis insists early in the video).

EDIT: to be fair, towards the end of the video (8:45), Sotis mentions that if you want to be conservative, you can use a 20% margin (!) - on the TTS - and redo the calculation with that. There is a totally mysterious statement about "good days" (by opposition to bad days, I suppose) toward the end (10:30)...

Edit 2: corrected ascent volume addition

I still don't know why rebreather divers don't want top ups,
It's a variation of the "I don't breathe" competition. Ever notice how people brag about how low their SAC is? Anyone who thinks that diving is not a competitive sport has to be a solo diver and even then, they brag about it here.

How hard is it to check the O2 pressure before the 3rd dive, and go "oh I only have 40 bar I better top it up"..
when I am finished diving I turn off my tanks. Just speculation but maybe Rob didn't turn on his O2.

Whole case is sad...

One of the things I (as a 29 year and almost 4,000 dives diver) have noticed is that many people who switch to CCR do so well before they are capable OC divers and then many of them go onto to doing very deep (more than 70 metres - 233 feet) dives very quickly, well before it seems they could possibly become totally proficient in the use of their CCR. CCR makes it too easy to "seem" that very deep dives are within every diver who wants capability.

I have lost a few friends because of this view as well as more who I was aquainted with. The training companies need to reassess this, but they won't as it would mean a loss of income.

(*) If I understand the claims, it is essentially a way to plan your max dive time given your bailout and RMV (they use the MINIMUM RMV for planning BTW, as Sotis insists early in the video).

planning min rmv is amazingly stupid, it's planning to die if ANYTHING goes wrong IMHO.

Everybody is jumping on Peter about his TruDive planning now? How many of you have really trained with him and have a leg to stand on? I am not saying there is no way that he could be at fault but I am saying that facts speak louder than some of this BS. Peter insists on using the minimum RMV for a good reason. Everything is planned on what the absolute least amount of BO gas is required. This is just used as a baseline and the individual can add the conservatism to that which they are comfortable with. The baseline remains but the amount of gas carried can vary from day to day as dive conditions warrant. It is not exactly rocket science but some of you are nothing but a lynching mob right now.

Well, you heard it from the epicenter itself (it is backed-up in the Wayback Machine BTW).
the site owner can request a take down from wayback just FYI

Diving a MCCR or HCCR requires that you shut of O2 between dives to prevent loss of gas. That is one plausible hypoxia scenario that has been hinted at.
But I don't know what flavor of revo they were using so just anther wild speculation...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom