Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks as if we will never know the cause unless the other diver who refused further treatment makes a statement.

So that rules out DCS. Sounds like a problem with the scuba units. If the instructor did something unwise, it is not so hard to believe that the former student would follow his lead. So it could have been a problem or mistake that was common to both divers... Not two independent failures... I would think is more likely.

I dont think you can say it totally rules out DCS......

The evening news just reported that his body was found at 220 feet.

I assume that Rob's equipment will be examined to see if they can determine a cause.

Has there been any indication that the surviving diver turned his equipment in to be examined by a competent agency/facility?

TC:
Not necessarily, a body below about 100' won't generate enough gas to overcome the pressure and become buoyant.
The FBI dive team leader says it will generate 17 lbs of lift as long as the skin (drysuit) remains intact. Assume a diver who was close enough to neutral to make it to the surface in the first place....

Sad news. I guess there must not have been many technical divers available to search if he was found only 300' from his last known location. I guess it goes to show how hard it is to deal with these depths.

How few divers, how briefly they can remain at 220', how tight the search pattern needs to be to find a diver in a black drysuit wearing a black rebreather and how incredibly long it takes before the same searcher can make a 2nd dive to 200'. Amazing that they succeeded, great job!

So that rules out DCS. Sounds like a problem with the scuba units. If the instructor did something unwise, it is not so hard to believe that the former student would follow his lead. So it could have been a problem or mistake that was common to both divers... Not two independent failures... I would think is more likely.

Gas embolism due to DCS could easily cause unconsciousness at the surface -- and the diver would likely have a minute or two when they felt okay before they were disabled.

Also if his BOV/DSV wasn't closed when he went unconscious his loop could have flooded and made him negative and pulled him under (although I'm not familiar with a Revo[*] enough to know how resistant they are to flooding like this).

[*] Assuming that was the unit he was diving

The FBI dive team leader says it will generate 17 lbs of lift as long as the skin (drysuit) remains intact. Assume a diver who was close enough to neutral to make it to the surface in the first place....
Yes, 17 pounds at the surface is about right. Now work out how much that is at over 200 ft. Arbitrary argument now, he was found at depth.

The body has been recovered(according to news sources). RIP Rob.

Back
Top Bottom