Fills dry or in water bath?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh and one other thing, the cooling fins on the radiator are required because you are exchanging with air which has a low capacity for absorbing heat compared to water. I just filled my steel tanks in 30 minutes which is much faster than usual and the tanks measure 120 degrees f. In water a 40 degree delta with the amount of surface area as the tank has will transfer a significant amount of heat rather quickly. Those galvy tanks I use also have a low emisivity so their ability to radiate heat is pretty slow. Sinking it into water by conduction and convection is many times faster but of course it slows as the tank temperature gets closer to ambient. The galvy tanks only showed 85 degrees with my infrared temperature gauge. I had to put black tape on the tank to get a truer reading. That tells me that they suffer from slow cooling in air alone. White would be even worse.

On a light note, great dive today. My sweetie is really starting to look like a pro.

Why not go right to the source? Psi. Or Professional Scuba Inspectors, they certify individuals to inspect, clean, fill, and just about everything else involving tanks. I'll save you the time and provide the link. Then tell me if you still think the same way about wet filling your tanks. At the end of the day it is the person filling them that risks the most.

PSI-PCI - Filling Cylinders In Water - Time to Review

One question for y'all. The article linked above says:

cylinders, when filled at the industry recommended fill rate of 300-600 psig/min, do not get hot

I am interpreting that to mean that filling a 3500psi HP100 at 500 psi/min would take 7 minutes and that would be within the industry recommended guidelines? And that PSI says that my cylinder won't get hot if I do that? What is the definition of "hot"??

What is the definition of "hot"??

Any temperature above which I can't leave my hand leaning on the surface for an extended period of time. Of course that is just in the "Bob's Definition of Terms" manual.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom