Fills dry or in water bath?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flycaster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is your LDS filling tanks in the water to keep them cool or dry filling, taking a break to cool them down and topping off?

No water fills. Drop them off and come back 24 hours later. I prefer to not risk my tanks building condensation while being filled and my local shop is accommodating. What's the rush? Just fill it then come back and top it off.

The first dive shop I went to in 1962 was a part-time business and only open in the evenings. The owner was a plumber in real life and had a fill tank that circulated about 30 GPM/113 LPM from a small cooling tower. I haven't seen such an effective system since. I never knew what a "hot fill" was until going to another shop.

in cave country they are usually water fills. Personal fills are dry. The "break" required for them to cool off is well over an hour though, it's a LOT of metal that has to cool back down, especially with steel tanks

Our lds fills them dry and they usually overfill them a little so that they are full when they cool down

Exactly, usually 320 bar or 260ish

If I saw a shop wet filling, I would go to another dive shop.

I usually drop my tanks off and pick them up some days later. My LDS is usually on my way to and from where I'm diving. If I wait, they will overfill so that when it cools down I have a full fill.

If I saw a shop wet filling, I would go to another dive shop.

don't come up to cave country then, it's SOP up there. The difference there is that the tank monkeys blow the valve and fill whip off, fully connect and start filling, but the valve is usually above the water

Back
Top Bottom