Filling your own air tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divrdown

Reaction score
I have heard that you can buy compressors to fill your own tanks. I have never done this before so have no idea how to do this. Has anyone used compressors to fill their own tanks? How hard is it? What about these online stores where you can get air from? Has anyone tried filling their air from an online store? Lastly i have heard about a contraption that lets you fill your own air through your computer. Does anyone know anything about this?

Maybe you want to go look in the "Compressors, Boosters and Blending Systems" forum, also under "Equipment" like this forum. Lots of answers to your questions there.

You may also want to take a "gas blender" class to learn how to do it properly.

...Lastly i have heard about a contraption that lets you fill your own air through your computer. Does anyone know anything about this?

That one is an urban legend-there is no such device in real life. It was a spoof from local dive shops to get back at losing business to internet stores. It begs the question, "who will fill my tanks when the LDS goes out of business?" To which a lot of people say, "I have my own compressor, I don't need you for anything."

EtherFill 5000 enables gas fills over the Internet

i have heard that you can buy compressors to fill your own tanks. I have never done this before so have no idea how to do this. Has anyone used compressors to fill their own tanks? How hard is it? What about these online stores where you can get air from? Has anyone tried filling their air from an online store? Lastly i have heard about a contraption that lets you fill your own air through your computer. Does anyone know anything about this?

i would guess that you are relativly new to diving. I do have my own compressor to fill my tanks. 4k should buy a good one for your use. That said some of the other more hush hush technologies may be better suited to discussion in the privacy of your local dive shop. There are those who use try to use/aquire technologies such as those you refer to with out regard to the high bandwidth of thier isp connections and end up filling thier tanks to rapidly. Untill turbo bandwidth regulators get more bugs worked out of them i would stick with the lds to perform your tank filling operations.

Good luck

The problem with the etherFill 5000 is that even though you can oxygen clean the connections, the way it was built, it is poor for oxygen service. There are way too many bends that the high speed gas particles smack into and create heat. And we all know heat and 02 are bad.

I'm a DIY guy and placed small sections of pipe and changed over to a wireless router to try to make the etherfill a bit more oxygen friendly. The only issue I found with the wireless router is if you fill deep hypoxic mixes @ 1 ATA, you have a good chance of blacking out. I learned the hard way because I had another window open on my PC and it happens to contain adult material and my wife caught me passed out red handed or something else handed... So best bet is to use a travel wireless gas when filling hypoxic wireless mixes.

If you are in a remote location, you have no choice. If you have nearby dive shops, it will be cheaper to go to the shop

For the best value I recommend you use the online fill through your computer,the adapter is available through ebay for $250

is not technology wonderfull??????

sorry about my post but
1. just felt in the mood that day.
2. could remember myself when i started (the year of electrolung)
3. it was a thread that just couldnt start a war over fine points

divrdown your'e thread was a breath of fresh air

dennis are you (SS)

I have heard that you can buy compressors to fill your own tanks. I have never done this before so have no idea how to do this. Has anyone used compressors to fill their own tanks? How hard is it? What about these online stores where you can get air from? Has anyone tried filling their air from an online store? Lastly i have heard about a contraption that lets you fill your own air through your computer. Does anyone know anything about this?

Not only are you a troll, but you are a bad one. It took you over a year for this troll to fully pan out. Some of us here on ScubaBoard require a much better attempt at trolling if this thread is going to turn into the fun you expect. Hey, we know you can do better. Why not just ask if scuba store visual inspections are a legal requirement. Cheers.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Back
Top Bottom