Fiji water temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey - have you tried this wesbite that has realtime SST for Beqa Lagoon? I generally check it out every time I go to Beqa - seems to be a little cooler this year. I know a group that just returned from Beqa and they all wore 5mm (but then again they are softie Queenslanders!) I would think 3mm with maybe a titanium under rashy (even better with hood) would be OK...depends though on the quality and age of the neoprene and the seals and fit of the suit. I've never worn more than 4/3 mm in my 20 trips to Fiji. I just got back from North Sulawesi (July) and Sipadan (August) and with 29 degree C the water was just fine! But we did have some thermoclines where temperature 'plunged' to 26 or 27 (brrrr!). Funny how much difference a couple of degrees makes.

NOAA Coral Reef Watch Time Series Graphs

Just got back Saturday

Logged about 37 Dives
Lowest water temps I got was 77.6 at depth
Air temps were 82 to 79
Dove older 3mm
Most dived 3mm a few 5mm
Only had a couple get cold on SI between dives
Shark Dive felt cooler due to the lack of movement while watching

Saspotato - your idea of using your 3mm wetsuit plus hooded vest should be perfectly adequate. I am still in my 5mm in September - but I really feel the cold dreadfully.

Will definitely wanting to hear feedback on temps as I am heading there October 1st and haven't had a wetsuit on since 1989 I just wear a lycra when diving! I do have an older 1.5-2 mm wetuist though.

Have been there twice over the past few years... in March and in June and think I did wear my wetsuit the last day on my June trip.

Wonder if I need to rush out a buy a 3 mm... one of the resorts I will be staying at on Taveuni rents 5mm and the other by Beqa has 2.8 mm shorties for rent.

Last week I was diving Beqa in a 5mm and my wife was in a 5mm with a 3mm hooded vest. Water temp throughout the week was 75 degrees -- cold for a couple of Florida warm water wimps like us.

Hi!

Just finished my dives at Beqa... I wore my 3mm + 2mm hooded vest and was very comfortable on my dives (which were all 60mins from boat and then often followed by a shore dive of 90-110mins). Some dives I got a bit warm and I was never too cold. Though most people on the boat were in 3mm or 5mm, + vests/hoods and nearly all complained of the cold. A fair few had to often finish dives early because of the cold. Everyone except me in my group had a 7mm and were comfortable with one person still getting cold... The air temperature was cool on some days with cold winds and rain, which probably didn't help. Temperatures were a consistent 24-25C (75-77F) in the water. I had a windbreaker and a beanie for surface intervals and was very comfortable. Guess my cold tolerance is better than I thought!

Anyway, it was awesome diving there :) Planning to write up a trip report when I get home!

Last edited:
Anyone been to Fiji islands that can report water temps for the past couple of weeks? We are heading to Taveuni in a few days. I have a 4/3, my (then) wife will have a 3mm. Both with rash guards underneath that obviously don't do much. Thinking about getting her a hood possibly.

Looks like it might be up to 80 this year already!

NOAA Coral Reef Watch Time Series Graphs

Just to report back - i wore a 2mm shorty the entire time I was in Taveunii Fiji. Only once did I find myself getting cold and that was on a heavy drift dive where a lot of water was running by me and pulling heat away. Other than that, the 2mm was perfectly fine in the middle of Oct. My wife was wearing a 3/2 full suit and she was fine the whole time.

was there late july early august the water temp was 26-27c...expect it to dip a 1-2c by sept me thinks. I say take ur 3mm and if you still get cold possible rent a shorty on top. WIndbreaker or towel recommended on the boat as i did get the shivers on a few of the rainy days:)

didnt really get any colder at moderate depth. (20-25m)

goto say its absolutely stunning when its sunny...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom