Fiji water temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

I am going to Beqa, Fiji in September. I have read online that the water temperature is 24-26C (75-79F) at this time of year. Does it get colder at depth and so forth? (Probably the deepest diving I will do is to about 30m/100ft).

I am just trying to decide on what suit to bring. I have a 3mm full wetsuit and a 7mm semidry. I am planning to do 3-4 dives a day over six days (at least two of those will be over an hour each day) and was wondering if the 3mm would get a bit cold particularly if temperature at depth drops. If it is 24-26 consistently the 3mm should be fine. A 5mm would be perfect but I don't want to buy a new suit unnecessarily... Basically I can see I might get cold in a 3mm but a 7mm seems overkill.

I have a 2.5mm hooded vest, so perhaps that combined with the 3mm would be adequate?

I am already going to be overweight with my luggage so want to minimise my luggage weight as much as possible.

Anyway, any feed back would be appreciated. :) I know it all depends on cold tolerance (I would say I am average) but I have never dived in warm water so I am not sure how warm 24-26C feels like if you are doing multiple dives! :) Also I am big into photography so some dives I barely move, which does not help...

Cheers!

I am going to Fiji this week August 5th. I looked at my dive logs from a previous trip and found that the temp was 79 F. I am reading that it is about the same temp now or a degree or 2 cooler. The temps I recorded were for Sept. early Oct. A 3 mm is really not adequate. My wife and I were very cold in our 3 mm but did not take anything heavier so gutted it out. I am packing a 5 mm for this trip and adding a 3mm vest for insurance. I would advise nothing lighter than a 5mm.

In the Pacific I would regularly use a half mm for my morning dives and change to a 3mm for the afternoon dives. Mainly found the last dive of the day the coldest for me, but then 24 deg and I feel it. 7mm would be to much. There are times you can get yourself into a cold stream where the water temp drops quickly, but generally speaking you can get out of them as fast as you got into them.

Happy diving.

At those temps a 3mm suit should be fine. I was in Fiji in May and the water temp was 26-27 and I only dove with boardies with a rash vest.

We are headed to BLR Thursday. I will post dive details when we get back in about three weeks. Was here there in September 2006 and April 2007 did 3mm with no problem. I can not remember any thermoclines to depth of 100 ft. The weather was overcast with rain in 06. The 07 trip we had a couple divers get a little cool but no need to go to a 5mm. Dive log gave me min 76F at 50 feet in April 07 and 73F at 70 feet in September 06. Hope this helps.

Ok thanks for all the replies!

Those that were fine in 3mm, how many dives a day were you doing and for how long where you in the water each day (snorkelling/diving/swimming)? Also how would you rate your tolerance to the cold? I don't believe the cold would be a problem in a 3mm if I was only doing two dives a day, but I am looking at doing a fair few long dives during my trip as well as spending some time snorkelling.

If it is 22-23C (as you have gotten in Sept Hodge Podge) I will definitely bring the 7mm for multiple long dives a day...

Hi sas,
Take into account my 3mm is now somewhere between a 2 and 1mm it has done so many dives. Each day sometimes up to 5 if I did a night dive.
At least 45mins to 70mins each dive depending on depth, and that also included the odd hunt with a gun inbetween dives. Night dives the hood went on, and was usually quickly out of my suit if the wind was up.
On most of my dives I was using my camera.
My tolerance to the cold is poor. Am currently in the Illawarra and find the 15deg absolutely freeezzzzzing my titties off, and am wearing an expensive 5mm semi dry which is warm until the last ten minutes or so of the second dive. Will be picking up the dry suit in the next four weeks.

With you coming from 9deg temp, I doubt you will find it a problem.
DOn't forget the hibiscus leaves to use as a defogger.
They even work underwater.

Hmm ok then, thanks marinediva :)

I think I will bring my 3mm and my hooded 2.5mm vest (local forum seems to suggest the same too). That gives me 5.5 on my core. My gloves and booties are 5mm too (and I am not buying a new set just for this trip :wink:). I guess the air temperature will be warm too so that will help. It will be really nice for once not to have a thick wetsuit or drysuit on. :) (Only worn my 3mm once!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom