fight with girlfriend over dive safety.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neonstingray

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just had a fight with my girlfriend because she says I pressure her too much about the dive planning and safety procedures she goes through. To start, I've been certified for the past 7 years (naui adv past 5 years), but have only done about 15 dives total. I'm 20 and she's 19. I recently got her interested though, especially since she lives in puerto rico. I live in phily which is why my diving opportunities are limited even though I adore it. The beginning of the summer she got her padi open water cert with her mom, then later went diving twice with me while I was down there.

Now she and her mom are doing the advanced cert and she just came back from their second day of open water diving. When I asked how deep they went she said 100 feet. I was instantly a little concerned, since this is definitely below the depth of a padi advanced ow checkout, and because they didn't have computers either. She said they were at that depth for less than 10 min and did 2 safety stops, but I still asked her whether they had planned to go that deep, whether they had checked the tables personally before-hand for that depth (versus relying on the instructor), and whether they had accounted for ongassing at the slightly shallower depths than 100 feet.

She said yes to all this, and then started getting upset that I always ask her these kinds of questions after her dives. She said I really look like I don't have confidence in her, and that I'm the experienced diver who always knows whats best. I told her before though that one of the reasons I was excited for her was because since she lives in a great dive spot she'd quickly get much more experience than I have. And during the argument I said even if she was the greatest diver to have ever lived, in the midst of my meager experience I think I'd still be justified in asking her how safe she was being. But then she countered that by saying there are a bunch of things we do in our lives like driving a car that are considerably dangerous without asking each other things such as did we buckle our seat belts, or did we look both ways before crossing the street. I guess I don't really know which argument is more valid.

I said though, disregarding who's right or wrong, I don't see why her answering my questions is that much to ask if even just to put me at ease. I guess I've resigned myself to being the kind of person who doesn't want to screw over their life not by staying away from any activity or experiance that could be dangerous, but by experiencing them while stressing the most out of the safety, even if it becomes excessive. Especially after reading so many of those 'lessons for life' articles in rodale's, I've become aware of not the fact that anything can go wrong, but just how many things there are on the list of any things that could go wrong. Furthermore, the incident in which my instructor's instructor ended his life by going alone into a cave and never being seen again constantly reminds me that even your instructor can't be your ultimate life-line.

I've always been fascinated by tech. diving (hoping to pursue it someday so I can enjoy some nice wreck dives up here on the jersey coast :D ) and I try to never forget that one foundation rule to remind that the ocean can sometimes be merciless even to experience or cauion - 'Anyone can die at anytime, for any reason.' I guess I try to hold onto that idea even for simple rec. dives. Maybe I am being too excessive though. Of course, I suppose there's no way to know which one of us really is right, or whether its more of a compromise. So I thought I'd just get this out here and see what you guys thought.

BTW, minds are good at being biased towards their own story, so I probably have left out something my girlfriend would call very relevant. Just a disclaimer :wink:

Thanks,
Austin

Rule #1: The female is always right.

Rule #2: If the female is wrong, see rule #1.

:D

Welcome to Scuba Board!

I think you are right, but the commercial recreational dive world works against you. :wink:

PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc., are biased towards telling newer divers "No, it is really safe, don't worry about it, your instructor is an expert, stick with him/her and you'll be fine, etc. etc."

The more experience and education you have, the more safety conscious you become. Heck, I got grief yesterday at Pan Aqua here in NYC... I just got back from Grand Turk, and I had been letting Oasis Divers handle my equipment rather than doing my own set-up (they have *very* experienced and conscientious DMs), and unfortunately my SP Air2 had gotten trashed. The owners of Pan Aqua turned WHITE when I admitted I had been lazy about set-up... these are people with thousands and thousands of dives. I felt like a little kid getting a lecture.. I actually blushed.

So, yeah, I can see the whole interaction btwn you and the GF playing out... maybe if you relate to her the attitudes of the more/most experienced divers here on SB?

camshaft:
Hey guys,
I just had a fight with my girlfriend because she says I pressure her too much about the dive planning and safety procedures she goes through. To start, I've been certified for the past 7 years (naui adv past 5 years), but have only done about 15 dives total. I'm 20 and she's 19. I recently got her interested though, especially since she lives in puerto rico. I live in phily which is why my diving opportunities are limited even though I adore it. The beginning of the summer she got her padi open water cert with her mom, then later went diving twice with me while I was down there.

Now she and her mom are doing the advanced cert and she just came back from their second day of open water diving. When I asked how deep they went she said 100 feet. I was instantly a little concerned, since this is definitely below the depth of a padi advanced ow checkout, and because they didn't have computers either. She said they were at that depth for less than 10 min and did 2 safety stops, but I still asked her whether they had planned to go that deep, whether they had checked the tables personally before-hand for that depth (versus relying on the instructor), and whether they had accounted for ongassing at the slightly shallower depths than 100 feet.

She said yes to all this, and then started getting upset that I always ask her these kinds of questions after her dives. She said I really look like I don't have confidence in her, and that I'm the experienced diver who always knows whats best. I told her before though that one of the reasons I was excited for her was because since she lives in a great dive spot she'd quickly get much more experience than I have. And during the argument I said even if she was the greatest diver to have ever lived, in the midst of my meager experience I think I'd still be justified in asking her how safe she was being. But then she countered that by saying there are a bunch of things we do in our lives like driving a car that are considerably dangerous without asking each other things such as did we buckle our seat belts, or did we look both ways before crossing the street. I guess I don't really know which argument is more valid.

I said though, disregarding who's right or wrong, I don't see why her answering my questions is that much to ask if even just to put me at ease. I guess I've resigned myself to being the kind of person who doesn't want to screw over their life not by staying away from any activity or experiance that could be dangerous, but by experiencing them while stressing the most out of the safety, even if it becomes excessive. Especially after reading so many of those 'lessons for life' articles in rodale's, I've become aware of not the fact that anything can go wrong, but just how many things there are on the list of any things that could go wrong. Furthermore, the incident in which my instructor's instructor ended his life by going alone into a cave and never being seen again constantly reminds me that even your instructor can't be your ultimate life-line.

I've always been fascinated by tech. diving (hoping to pursue it someday so I can enjoy some nice wreck dives up here on the jersey coast :D ) and I try to never forget that one foundation rule to remind that the ocean can sometimes be merciless even to experience or cauion - 'Anyone can die at anytime, for any reason.' I guess I try to hold onto that idea even for simple rec. dives. Maybe I am being too excessive though. Of course, I suppose there's no way to know which one of us really is right, or whether its more of a compromise. So I thought I'd just get this out here and see what you guys thought.

BTW, minds are good at being biased towards their own story, so I probably have left out something my girlfriend would call very relevant. Just a disclaimer :wink:

Thanks,
Austin

I can kinda understand why she's upset. SHE did the planning...SHE dove the dive, SHE got the training and now YOU want to come in at the end of the dive from 1000 miles away and critique.

"Wow 100 feet..thats deep and i know padi yada yada....i'm concerned..." That comes across to me as not trusting her.

It also sounds as if she was diving with an instructor. So you're questioning him/her as well. Not that an instructor can't kill you, but i can see why she's upset.

How would you feel if she calls you up and says "Tech diving???? You're really not ready for that....you should not even be thinking that way" Then procedes to give to a TECH 1 final exam over the phone?

Its great that your gf is interested and training in diving. But you've got to trust her a little. She is just as capable and knowledgeable as you. She's advanced OW so are you. And you've got 15 dives....not 1500. Trust her. And don't question her planning unless you're diving that plan.....

my 2 cents

Sounds like you need a marriage counselor, not advice about diving. FYI the "deep" dive in the PADI AOW course is to dive to a maximum of 100 ft., so sounds like they were following the book. And you don't have to have a computer to dive safely, as long as you follow the dive tables. This should be an opportunity to look at how you interact with her, and people in general, for that matter. Sounds like you are an open minded person (after all, you did ask for advice from us- a bunch of strangers). Just take this as a lesson in trying to first see the other person's side, and thoroughly researching the facts of your argument in advance. Best of luck in your diving.

camshaft:
Now she and her mom are doing the advanced cert and she just came back from their second day of open water diving. When I asked how deep they went she said 100 feet. I was instantly a little concerned, since this is definitely below the depth of a padi advanced ow checkout, and because they didn't have computers either.
Part of the Padi AOW is the "Deep Dive". Can't get around it, Deep and Navigation are the two firm requirements. You'll also find some rather experienced people here that don't have a high opinion of computers.

ScubaSixString:
I can kinda understand why she's upset. SHE did the planning...SHE dove the dive, SHE got the training and now YOU want to come in at the end of the dive from 1000 miles away and critique.

"Wow 100 feet..thats deep and i know padi yada yada....i'm concerned..." That comes across to me as not trusting her.

It also sounds as if she was diving with an instructor. So you're questioning him/her as well. Not that an instructor can't kill you, but i can see why she's upset.

How would you feel if she calls you up and says "Tech diving???? You're really not ready for that....you should not even be thinking that way" Then procedes to give to a TECH 1 final exam over the phone?

Its great that your gf is interested and training in diving. But you've got to trust her a little. She is just as capable and knowledgeable as you. She's advanced OW so are you. And you've got 15 dives....not 1500. Trust her. And don't question her planning unless you're diving that plan.....

my 2 cents

Hey scubasixstring,
I didn't indicate padi with the intent of making the usual digs at them. I hadn't thought of it coming out like that when I typed it.
I actually would be quite agreeable with my gf telling me I shouldn't even be thinking about tech diving at this point, as I feel the same way. If she whipped out a tech 1 exam on me off the top of her head though I think that'd actually be kinda hot; call me screwy :eyebrow:
But most importantly, when you said not to question her planning unless I'm diving that plan, I'm guessing you mean because in that situation its a question of my own life? If that's the case then If I really care about her life shouldn't I be concerned enough with her diving as if I was actually following the same dive?

Thanks guys,
Austin

Camshaft,

There is wise counsel in all the previous replies. After 24 years of marriage I've learned that sometimes it's best to bite your tongue and accentuate the positives. You are lucky your girlfriend shares your passion for diving. In your position I would roll with the punches, and save your fuss-potting for when you are seriously worried about your girlfriend's safety. :)

Paul m

mark99:
Sounds like you need a marriage counselor, not advice about diving. FYI the "deep" dive in the PADI AOW course is to dive to a maximum of 100 ft., so sounds like they were following the book. And you don't have to have a computer to dive safely, as long as you follow the dive tables. This should be an opportunity to look at how you interact with her, and people in general, for that matter. Sounds like you are an open minded person (after all, you did ask for advice from us- a bunch of strangers). Just take this as a lesson in trying to first see the other person's side, and thoroughly researching the facts of your argument in advance. Best of luck in your diving.

LOL marriage counselor? We're just teenagers.

Halthron:
Part of the Padi AOW is the "Deep Dive". Can't get around it, Deep and Navigation are the two firm requirements. You'll also find some rather experienced people here that don't have a high opinion of computers.

Hey Halthron, I didn't realize it was 100 feet. I thought it was about 80. And aren't the guys who don't think to highly of computers usually the ones who have run into problems by diving into some of the grey zones of the more liberal algorithms? I thought even padi tables were just a very conservative version of the old Haldane algorithm?

Anyway guys, thanks, I'll run with this,
Austin

Hey Prune fingers, I hear ya. Cool quote by the way, love that guy. Just reminded me of a favorite quote by him I'm sticking in my sig....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom