FG Trip Report for 5/28-30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Em_Dee:
Thanks for the great report! I am headed out to FG this weekend (6/11 & 6/12) on the SeaSeacher II.

This will be my first FG trip and have heard plenty about it.
I am getting a little bit of "ladder ride" anxiety! The forecast is calling for 3-4 ft seas. Thanks to your report, I now have a better idea of what to expect. I am hoping to do the night dive, but I think you have a good point about not combining little light and high seas. I will certainly keep that in mind.

- MD

Looks like you should expect seas in the 2 to 3 foot range. That's not bad.
http://facs.scripps.edu/surf/images/caanim.gif

Don't let the ladder scare you. I really believe it senses fear. Be cautious but don't be tentative. Get yourself prepared and wait for the ladder to look like it is settling down a bit. It's really not a cycle you can easily predict - it may be a 6th sense kind of thing. Study what it is doing while you are hanging at a rest stop (know your enemy).

Actually, with seas around 2 ft, it shouldn't be much more than a walk upstairs.

Enjoy. It's a shame to miss the night dive.

awap:
Looks like you should expect seas in the 2 to 3 foot range. That's not bad.
http://facs.scripps.edu/surf/images/caanim.gif

Don't let the ladder scare you. I really believe it senses fear. Be cautious but don't be tentative. Get yourself prepared and wait for the ladder to look like it is settling down a bit. It's really not a cycle you can easily predict - it may be a 6th sense kind of thing. Study what it is doing while you are hanging at a rest stop (know your enemy).

Actually, with seas around 2 ft, it shouldn't be much more than a walk upstairs.

Enjoy. It's a shame to miss the night dive.

Thanks for the link. I sure hope I get in all the dives as possible, including the night dive. It sounds like I will get some great diving experience. I am looking forward to it. I'll try to post a report ASAP next week.
-MD

I had two FG trips this spring cancelled because weather - I gave up. Your report makes me think I'll try one more time.

Thanks for the words!!

Mark

When you book a trip in Spring you have to really go into as if it is going to get cancelled. They rarely "make" I had one cancelled ( March 5-6) and then the second one I booked made March 19-20. I think all the one's in April cancelled. You have a better chance of going out in July and August. I have one booked for July and then one for September. Everytime I go I struggle with the bunks and camping style conditions, but once I hit the water on a Rig, East Bank or Stetson I remember why I am there. Excellent diving at one helluva a value.

Speaking of cancellations.....
We got word this morning that our FG trip for this weekend is a no go.
Your are 100% right, we should always book and expect a cancellation, it won't be such a let down that way. However, we will certainly try again.

We are consoling ourselves by planning our next trip!

Bummer. Tropical Depression Arlene took a bite out of the Gulf this weekend! Keep trying!

July and August will bring better seas anyway -- unless B, C, D, E, or F decide to pay a visit to the gulf.

Bummer! I'm booked for next weekend so I feel for ya. Everyone says it's a crap shoot - and the dice are loaded against us.

BTW Debra, what were the temps on your trip? I remember getting chilled in a 3mm last year, but can't remember if I went in May or June.

Water temp was about 75 degrees. I wore a 2 piece 3mm with beanie and gloves. Troy had a 3mm on and was cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom