FG Trip Report for 5/28-30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Another great weekend diving in the Flower Gardens and Stetson Bank! We left the dock Friday night at 8:30 for a 3 day trip to the Flower Gardens and Stetson Bank aboard the M/V Spree and Gulf-Diving. The weather cooperated all day Saturday for dives
at the West Bank, a Rig and on East Bank. Seas were 1-2 feet and zero ( or very little) current. The Rig diving is just unbelievable and is not to be missed! It's like being in a giant aquarium. Great big sea turtles, tons of jack, angel fish, and beautiful soft corals. We saw two nurse sharks, oneon the West Bank and one on the East Bank. Lots of little blennies, juvenile trunk fish, eels, chub, parrot fish, butterfly fish and so much more on East Bank. This is really a great dive site and better than I remembered it in March. We got up and did another dive at East bank but this time by the drop off, absolutely the prettiest blue coral anywhere. One more dive at East Bank and then off to Stetson for the 3rd and 4th dive of the day on Sunday afternoon and night! Stetson bank is my favorite dive site and it did not dissapoint! Troy and I were the first two in at Stetson and when we got in saw a fish that resembled a shark but wasn't. I need to look it up but some said it may be a ling? The visibility was poor going down the mooring bouy but it opened up at about 65 to 85 feet. There were literally thousands of fish here! We saw two scorpion fish, Giant French Angels, schools of snapper and more. The highlight was coming bak over the wall and then being encircled by a ring of Crevalle Jack. There must have been 40 or more swirling around us. It was awesome. Lots of eels, and so many fish species I can not even begin to list them. The night came up and it was one I really wanted to do but the waves picked up from 3 to 5 feet. The ladders were coming up out of the water and I didn't want to risk getting back on the boat with little light and high seas. I opted out of the night dive and the bucking bronco ride. It was wild watching everyone come up the ladders, losing fins, getting bucked and more. The crew was amazing and all gear was recovered. We ended up cutting the trip short because the sea were forecasted at 5 to 8 feet on Monday. No one seemed upset because we had a phenomenal trip up until that point and we are all receiving vouchers as a discount on a future trip. It just has to be said the the Flower Gardens is a great adventure and we are really lucky to have this in our back yard. I am going back for sure on Labor Day weekend and may squeeze in another trip or two this summer when the Mantas and Whale Sharks are in town.

'Sounds wonderfull Debra !!! I've got do that trip sometime.

Dang another great FG trip missed.....I hope June 23-24 is as exciting as this one!!!

That could have been it, a Cobia or a lemon fish. The images I have seen are close but not right. This fish was all silver all over, rounded head, a funky curved fin on top, a small fin on the bottom. Might have been a tuna someone mentioned but did not have a distinct yellow stripe. Well, at least not that I noticed. We were the first ones in the water. That fish saw us and stopped, turned around immeditately and was GONE!!!! We might have been around 20 foot deep at that point. Thanks for the help....I wish I had taken my camera....:34:

Just to fill in on the night dive Deb missed after being overcome with good judgement.

The 2 green moray from the pm dive were out and about as was their spotted neighbor. What I believe was a purple mouth wanted no part of all that activity and was still holed up. An adult marbled grouper was doing his shallow rest stop at 75 ft. He tried to hide but it was Stetson. I could not relocate the very large adult spotted drums that were there in the pm.

With the seas kicking, my buddy & I started the ascent early (1000 psi) in case the ladders were a problem. We just spent the extra gas ot the rest stop. At one point, the DMs pulled one of the ropes and just had one ladder working. I think they were pretty busy. So we hung and collected the casualties. I rescued a fin and buddy rescued a light. When it was finally time to get out, I drew an easy low scoring 8 second ride. Buddy managed to time it perfectly wrong but held on for a top score.

I'd be happy if we could just do Stetson - and I'd gladly trade the day dive for night dive there,

Ladder rides are fun aren't they.

Debra,

If the fish was dorsoventrally elongated (like a tuna) it wasn't a cobia/ling (same thing just different names for the same fish). Ling look ALOT like a shark. The head reminds me of a remora/pilot fish/sucker fish just without the sucker.

TwoBit

Nope it wasn't that fish, Ling. It ws big and silver all over well over three feet long and at least 1 foot tall in the body. I will keep looking. Then again it was a very quick sighting so I may have missed a detail or two or three.

Debraw:
Another great weekend diving in the Flower Gardens and Stetson Bank! We left the dock Friday night at 8:30 for a 3 day trip to the Flower Gardens and Stetson Bank aboard the M/V Spree and Gulf-Diving. The weather cooperated all day Saturday for dives
at the West Bank, a Rig and on East Bank. Seas were 1-2 feet and zero ( or very little) current. The Rig diving is just unbelievable and is not to be missed! It's like being in a giant aquarium. Great big sea turtles, tons of jack, angel fish, and beautiful soft corals. We saw two nurse sharks, oneon the West Bank and one on the East Bank. Lots of little blennies, juvenile trunk fish, eels, chub, parrot fish, butterfly fish and so much more on East Bank. This is really a great dive site and better than I remembered it in March. We got up and did another dive at East bank but this time by the drop off, absolutely the prettiest blue coral anywhere. One more dive at East Bank and then off to Stetson for the 3rd and 4th dive of the day on Sunday afternoon and night! Stetson bank is my favorite dive site and it did not dissapoint! Troy and I were the first two in at Stetson and when we got in saw a fish that resembled a shark but wasn't. I need to look it up but some said it may be a ling? The visibility was poor going down the mooring bouy but it opened up at about 65 to 85 feet. There were literally thousands of fish here! We saw two scorpion fish, Giant French Angels, schools of snapper and more. The highlight was coming bak over the wall and then being encircled by a ring of Crevalle Jack. There must have been 40 or more swirling around us. It was awesome. Lots of eels, and so many fish species I can not even begin to list them. The night came up and it was one I really wanted to do but the waves picked up from 3 to 5 feet. The ladders were coming up out of the water and I didn't want to risk getting back on the boat with little light and high seas. I opted out of the night dive and the bucking bronco ride. It was wild watching everyone come up the ladders, losing fins, getting bucked and more. The crew was amazing and all gear was recovered. We ended up cutting the trip short because the sea were forecasted at 5 to 8 feet on Monday. No one seemed upset because we had a phenomenal trip up until that point and we are all receiving vouchers as a discount on a future trip. It just has to be said the the Flower Gardens is a great adventure and we are really lucky to have this in our back yard. I am going back for sure on Labor Day weekend and may squeeze in another trip or two this summer when the Mantas and Whale Sharks are in town.

Thanks for the great report! I am headed out to FG this weekend (6/11 & 6/12) on the SeaSeacher II.

This will be my first FG trip and have heard plenty about it.
I am getting a little bit of "ladder ride" anxiety! The forecast is calling for 3-4 ft seas. Thanks to your report, I now have a better idea of what to expect. I am hoping to do the night dive, but I think you have a good point about not combining little light and high seas. I will certainly keep that in mind.

- MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom