FG/Stetson Bank/High Island Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We had a great time on the Fling. The water was calm and the viz excellent. I did not care for the Flower Gardens West and East Bank however, we really enjoyed Stetson bank and High Island Platform. I have some pix posted in my gallery. There is one pix of a large fish that I have yet to identify that we saw at Stetson Bank. Not a professional photographer here but I think the pictures came out ok. The crew on the fling were very nice. It worked out that the boat was not full so my divebuddy and I got our own cabin. I could not imagine sleeping in the small cabin that slept four, I am happy that it worked out, I am a very light sleeper and would have been miserable in a cabin full of people.

I hear ya about Stetson, it's really the highlight. I really want a trip through my dive shop next year that only does Stetson. I have to guarantee 30 people though.
What did the fish look like that you can not identify? I saw one once that kind of looked like a large Tuna, never really got a clear ID on it. I looked at your gallery but wasn't sure which one you could not identify. Was it in there?

Let me know when you plan on going next year. I have about six people I can get together. The pix I am having a hard time ID'ng the fish is marked stsnbnk2 there are a couple of pix of the fish in the gallery. There is another one on the bottom of the first page on the left hand side. The only time we will not be able to go to Stetson is in April of next year as we will be diving in Thialand...

Oh well that's it I am planning that Stetson trip for April next year! I am going to make you choose Thailand or the Flower Gardens!!!!!! :wink: Yeah I looked through all of your pictures and could not find the fish I was looking for. I am not very good at the fish ID stuff. I am still workring on "birding" to keep up with my dad. I will keep you on my list for contact for a Stetson trip next year, maybe in June?

Thanks guys! Yes, found a better place to dive. After the FG trip we flew to Fort Lauderdale for the weekend. We got an excellent deal it only cost 562.00 total for two people including airfare and hotel. Could not pass that one up. Now, I am trying to think where to go next. Maybe Athens....who knows. maybe we will take a quick platform trip (depending on the price). Living in Texas sucks for diving...I want to move to Florida! where I can dive everyday......Let me know if ya'll plan on any trips rather local or out of state we are always ready to go....

SteveDiver:
Let me know when you plan on going next year. I have about six people I can get together. The pix I am having a hard time ID'ng the fish is marked stsnbnk2 there are a couple of pix of the fish in the gallery. There is another one on the bottom of the first page on the left hand side. The only time we will not be able to go to Stetson is in April of next year as we will be diving in Thialand...

Steve,

Seems like the water is holding pretty good out there. I was out on the
Sea Searcher two weeks ago. Also excellent trip. We're going back out the evening of Sept. 16. By the way, your fish is a French Angel. I saw two of the largest ever my last trip out.

Regards,

Yep, definitely a French Angelfish...
I'm disappointed you didn't enjoy the Flower Gardens... I have always found them to be extraordinary. Perhaps there's been a Red Tide event or some other strange happening there - Usually they're positively covered with interesting and wonderful critters. Don't give up on 'em yet. :)
Rick

SteveDiver:
... Now, I am trying to think where to go next. Maybe Athens....who knows. ....

You'll probably enjoy that less than the FG. They have alot of restrictions to protect their ancient sites. If you do want to go to Greece, look at Cyprus, Rhodes and Santorini (Thera). The diving looks best there. I've been there, but not in the water. You'll have so much fun on land that you'll be happy regardless of how the dives go.

You might also want to look into Malta and Croatia.

I just returned from Bonaire and am Texas land locked until my Oct 1-2 FG trip. I hope it goes better than yours did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom