fever blisters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trisha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone had a problem with getting fever blisters while diving? I had a bad case after my second day of Open Water Diver, using mask, snorkle and regulator. Then after they healed up, I had another outbreak when swimming at the local Y, using mask and snorkle.
Funny thing is, I had been practicing with my mask and snorkle for a month before, no problems. And I haven't had an outbreak since, either in chlorine or diving in the lake.
The existing threads don't seem to address this, though it may be an alergic reaction. Another diver loaned some of a commercial defogger, which I have since removed and replaced with another brand.
Some websites mentioned sun blisters. We did spend all morning at the shore's edge, and even with sunblock I had a mild burn.
Or, as a friend suggested, it could be stress. (Me, nervous? You becha!)
But I'd hate to go on a trip and then be shore-bound over something I could fix.
Thanks in advance for any tips.

are all caused by a retro-virus known as Herpes Simplex. The retro-virus "hides" in your spinal cord and when it becomes active, seems to follow along your nerves usually ending up in lesions where there are a high number of nerves (e.g. sensitive areas). When the outbreak is around the mouth area, its called cold sores or fever blisters, around the waist and torso its called shingles, and in the gential area, well its just herpes. You can also have an outbreak in your eyes -- which is very disrsuptive and can cause blindness.

This virus is pretty 'weak' outside of the body and is usually passed by direct contact. Generally cold sores are passed on by someone with an active outbreak kissing the recipient. But in theory could be passed on by dirty linens -- like sharing a towel.

Luckily, it appears that where you get infected determines "where" it hides in your spinal cord which dictates where the outbreaks will re-occur. In otherwords, its unlikely that you can get shingles from a kiss.

All of that being said, researchers don't know exactly WHAT causes an outbreak, however, exposure to sun and wind seem to stimulate an outbreak as does stress. I don't think its likely to be salt water, chlorine, or the equipment. I remember reading that Vitamin P is thought to stimulate it as well -- found in 'significant' quantiities in peanuts.

The good news is as you relax, your stress level will decrease. If you use lots of sunscreen and stay out of the sun as much as possible and relax, you should have fewer outbreaks.

For all of the above reasons, you should be extra careful during the first 3-4 days of the outbreak as this is when they virus is most present at the site of the lesions. Kissing another person or even touching your lips and then rubbing your eyes could cause another infection.

Because it hides in the spinal cord, retro viruses like herpes are currently impossible to eliminate -- too much collateral damage. There are treatments that are thought to shorten the outbreak. I have tried a number of different treatments - Carmax, campho-phinique, and the like. So far, blistex cream seems to work the best for me and keeps the lips moist during healing so they don't crack and bleed. Luckily the frequency and severity of outbreaks have decreased as I have aged (as coroborated by research).

DISCLAIMER: I am not a medical professional, this is just an area in which I have done some research.

Before you begin to consider the info/advice you are receiving here, I'd recommend that you read the first post at the top of this forum, "Attn: Please Read!" Many non-health professionals participate here.

For obvious reasons it is not possible to render a definitive diagnosis, but your report does at least appear consistent with cold sores/fever blisters, and the herpesvirus herpes simplex is the pathogen responsible for them.

This virus has the ability to sit dormant, hiding from the body's immune system inside of nerve cells, and the vast majority of the population in fact has such latent infections.

As a point of clarification, the herpesvirus causing cold sores does not hide in the spinal column--it hides in the nerve roots of cranial nerve cells that enervate the lips.

The virus can be reactivated by such situations as fevers, exposure to the sun, stress, menstruation, trauma to the lips & mouth, infectious illnesses like colds, or for no apparent reason.

As you can see, scuba could involve a number of these, such as sun, rubbing of the lips by the regulator/snorkel mouth piece & stress. It is in the affected diver's best interests to minimize such precipitants.

Do be aware that you are infectious slightly before & during attacks and should avoid sharing scuba gear that goes into the mouth, kissing, sharing towels, etc. if you are having or sense an impending outbreak.

During an outbreak such OTC products as Carmex, Campho-phenique & Blistex may provide some slight symptomatic relief, but really do nothing to suppress the viral activity, and are not frontline medicine. If you get regular or severe attacks, you may wish to speak to a dermatologist. If you have herpes simplex, such products as Zovirax & Valtrex often provide very substantial benefit.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Shingles and Chicken Pox are caused by Herpes zoster.
Fever Blisters are usually Herpes simplex type 1, but can be Herpes simplex type 2.
Genital Herpes is usually Herpes simplex type 2, but can be Herpes simplex type 1.
E.

Thanks for the replies, guys!
A bit of clarification -- I've gotten fever blisters off and on since childhood. It has always meant either, "Wow, that was a bad cold!" or "Heads up, you're about to have a cold."
No sniffles this time, just the worst outbreak I have ever had. Chapstick Medicated Cold Sore Therapy kept my upper lip numb for several days as it healed up, then did the same a week later on the lower left lip.
I can't believe women pay for collagen treatments!

As a sufferer of the Simplex variety I recently asked my doc if there were any new developments he recommended. He immediately said "Valtrex," which I new was advertised for genital herpes. He said it often works effectively for the cold sore variety. I have now had the opportunity to use it a couple of times and it has helped significantly, but taken earlier the better. I hate those damn things, painful and seem to take forever to heal. Valtrex saves the day, at least for me.

Bill.

Doc V's advice is excellent. In addition, the risk of Herpes simplex reactivation, resulting in a "cold sore" or "fever blister," can be significantly reduced by taking an antiviral prophylactically. If you regularly develop an outbreak after diving, consider asking your physician for a prescription for Zovirax, Famvir, or Valtrex to take prior to diving. Some patients experience an outbreak after cessation of prophylactic therapy.

The above is offered as general information only and is not intended as specific medical advice for any individual. Consult your physician before acting on anything posted above.

Epinephelus once bubbled...
Shingles and Chicken Pox are caused by Herpes zoster.
Fever Blisters are usually Herpes simplex type 1, but can be Herpes simplex type 2.
Genital Herpes is usually Herpes simplex type 2, but can be Herpes simplex type 1.
E.

I was under the impression that the medical community had decided that they all were basically the same virus?

P.S. I thought I was MOSTLY correct with what I said, but apologize if I misstated anything material.

As for treatment, I am generally anti-meds. I have tried the relatively new ointment that came out (Valtrex?) a couple of times. It seems to me that it lessened the outbreak, but as DocVingo mentioned, I almost always got another outbreak immediately afterwards. Not that two tries is a statistically signficant sample, I decided I would rather deal with the one medium cold sore than two 'minor' cold sores. Obviously it probably differs person to person and time to time.

As I said, I am not a medical professional. So ignore everything I said.

Trisha Uselton once bubbled...
Thanks for the replies, guys!
A bit of clarification -- I've gotten fever blisters off and on since childhood. It has always meant either, "Wow, that was a bad cold!" or "Heads up, you're about to have a cold."
No sniffles this time, just the worst outbreak I have ever had. Chapstick Medicated Cold Sore Therapy kept my upper lip numb for several days as it healed up, then did the same a week later on the lower left lip.
I can't believe women pay for collagen treatments!

Trisha,

I am in this same boat with you with regards to having these things show up since you were a kid and them being a warning or sign that I had a pretty good cold or virus. Infact, have one right now from that scenerio... I love when people share their illness.

I also tend to get them when I wear my body down, even having fun, or have been working on something that is stressful and don't give it an opportunity to rest.

For treatment, I've tried medicated in both the prescription and on prescription form. The one thing I've found the best is Blistex. I carry a small tube around all the time (I tend have bad luck with big ones) and when I feel it coming on, I dab a lil on as I feel the tingle reoccur. I've even managed to not even have them show up visible.

Back
Top Bottom