Ferry service from Tampa - Cuba - Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We already have twice weekly ferries from Galveston to Cozumel in the $350 range (during the school yr/wks, for 4 - 5 nights) called Carnival Cruise Lines, Royal Carribbean Cruise, & next Disney Cruise Line (a little more expensive), but they all should be a lot more comfy than the ferry boats.

Years ago, my mom and dad tried to set it up where they could cruise to Cozumel, stay for a couple of weeks, and then cruise home, but the cruise lines would not let them do it.

a little, as i understand it, trivia about the legality of usa citizens travelling to cuba. we cannot be prosecuted for crimes committed outside of the usa. so if you were to fly from canada or mex to cuba you could not be charged with a crime. here are the sticky parts - when you return and are asked if you were in cuba be sure to answer honestly. if you lie to authorites you can be charged for that. also be aware that if you get into any messes down there, there is little that our state dept can do for you. also if they want to hassle you for hours at the airport upon your return, they can probably do that too.

a little, as i understand it, trivia about the legality of usa citizens travelling to cuba. we cannot be prosecuted for crimes committed outside of the usa. .

100% Not True.

SEVERAL instances of where you can be arrested and prosecuted for crimes you commit outside the US. I'm sure there other examples other than this.

Go read 18 U.S.C. §§ 1591, 2421, 2422, and 2423. Travel to another country to illegally have sex with a child in "underage sex trade" is now prosecutable in this country upon your return. (AS IT SHOULD BE!)

Another example. example, if you're on a US FLAGGED vessel, the USCG can arrest/prosecute you for crimes on it when in international waters.

Here is Title 14, USC 89. Basically where the US Coast Guard derives its authority.

Title 14, USC 89
(a) The Coast Guard may make inquiries, examinations, inspections, searches, seizures, and arrests upon the high seas and waters over which the United States has jurisdiction, for the prevention, detection, and suppression of violations of laws of the United States. For such purposes, commissioned, warrant, and petty officers may at any time go on board of any vessel subject to the jurisdiction, or to the operation of any law, of the United States, address inquiries to those on board, examine the ship’s documents and papers, and examine, inspect, and search the vessel and use all necessary force to compel compliance. When from such inquiries, examination, inspection, or search it appears that a breach of the laws of the United States rendering a person liable to arrest is being, or has been committed, by any person, such person shall be arrested or, if escaping to shore, shall be immediately pursued and arrested on shore, or other lawful and appropriate action shall be taken; or, if it shall appear that a breach of the laws of the United States has been committed so as to render such vessel, or the merchandise, or any part thereof, on board of, or brought into the United States by, such vessel, liable to forfeiture, or so as to render such vessel liable to a fine or penalty and if necessary to secure such fine or penalty, such vessel or such merchandise, or both, shall be seized.
(b) The officers of the Coast Guard insofar as they are engaged, pursuant to the authority contained in this section, in enforcing any law of the United States shall:
(1) be deemed to be acting as agents of the particular executive department or independent establishment charged with the administration of the particular law; and
(2) be subject to all the rules and regulations promulgated by such department or independent establishment with respect to the enforcement of that law.

(c) The provisions of this section are in addition to any powers conferred by law upon such officers, and not in limitation of any powers conferred by law upon such officers, or any other officers of the United States.

Are you sure? Last I heard, folks who went to Cuba had to go somewhere else first, and they would put a removable page in your passport to stamp that you had to take out before you came home. I thought the recent loosening of the rules were for family members of Cuban residents only.

According to the US State Dept website on travel to Cuba, traveling to a 3rd country

Cuba Travel Requirements on http://travel.state.gov

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS, TRAVEL TRANSACTION LIMITATIONS: The Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the U.S. Department of the Treasury and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

Being that I have made seven road trips to Cozumel in the past six years I could certainly enjoy kicking back watching the ocean view and making the short drive across the Yucatan to the car ferry south of Playa.

I just bought my vehicle import sticker and insurance last night for an upcoming trip the end of May. Cruising 600 miles instead of driving 1,500 miles in 36 hours from Brownsville would be a nice change of pace.

Cleary the two hour plane ride from Houston is the fastest and easiest but there are just some things that are too heavy, bulky or just aren't allowed on a plane.

a little, as i understand it, trivia about the legality of usa citizens travelling to cuba. we cannot be prosecuted for crimes committed outside of the usa. so if you were to fly from canada or mex to cuba you could not be charged with a crime. here are the sticky parts - when you return and are asked if you were in cuba be sure to answer honestly. if you lie to authorites you can be charged for that. also be aware that if you get into any messes down there, there is little that our state dept can do for you. also if they want to hassle you for hours at the airport upon your return, they can probably do that too.
DAN and Dive Alert cannot cover you in Cuba either. They might be able to come evacuate you if you can wait.

DAN and Dive Alert cannot cover you in Cuba either. They might be able to come evacuate you if you can wait.

Actually about no US health insurance will cover you in Cuba. (remember US companies can't spend money in Cuba. that includes health companies)

Because of this, Cuba requires people to purchase health insurance for their stay when they enter the company.

I guess they got tired of being "stiffed" by people not paying their bills. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom