Female solodivers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I solo dive, from time to time. Generally, I prefer diving with a buddy, especially for more challenging dives, but if I can't round up a buddy for the weekend, I don't have a problem with diving by myself. Although, usually I'm not truly solo diving...my boyfriend is usually waiting on the shore for me (I get lonely by myself LOL and it feels safer to have someone know that I'm in the water, and that know when I'm supposed to surface).

There are some really fun parts about solo diving, though; not having to worry about a buddy's safety and the freedom of being able to wander wherever I please and for as long as I want to. Heck, I could spend an entire dive following a fish around, and there would be no one there to laugh at me :D I also like solo diving when I want to spend an entire dive working on basic skills...I've spent an hour in the water and not left the general area of the 20 ft platform. Your average buddy (well, darn near most any buddy) would find that really, really boring.

As for equipment; I usually solo dive in my drysuit and doubles. If I'm wearing a wetsuit, I'll use a single tank, but carry an AL40 for redundancy. I usually carry a backup mask as well, along with a lift bag and reel and a backup bottom timer. Since I'm relatively inexperienced, I restrict my solo diving to dive sites that I'm extremely comfortable with and have dove numerous times before. Generally, my boyfriend will make me promise not to do anything particularly stupid, and when he's waiting on the shore, I usually limit my run time to about 30-45 minutes, 'cause he gets nervous if I'm gone too long.

hay girls - what were the first extra pieces of equipment you bought?
i'm just starting out thinking of going self reliant ( .. possibly solo ..) so aside from a mask - pony or twins?

Not a girl, as you well know diveChiq!! But I will throw my $0.02 in on this.

I think you've got to ask exactly what it is you want to do with your diving. If you're really into the solo thing, my suggestion would not be a pony bottle or twins - go sidemount with two 10 litre tanks. For problem resolution underwater, you simply can't beat being able to see and manipulate your equipment like you can with sidemount.

If you're wanting to do some fun, more team oriented technical dives with an odd bit of solo diving now and again then think about manifolded twins. But I don't think this is a serious contender for a solo rig - think back to your deco procedures course and how hard it can be to simply manipulate valves when task loaded. When solo, you have to correctly identify and resolve any problem that occurs behind your head - and get it right. We can do some problem solving exercises on a dive sometime, if you've not done them before.

Finally, if you want a bit of added redundancy on recreational dives then aslung pony if well worth considering.

The three configurations all have their merits for different reasons, but there's no one perfect setup for everything you might want to do!! You'll either need to compromise, or shell out lots of $$$s!!!

Once again not a girl either. Not sure why this question should be gender specific.

Anyhow..Side mount? Really Andy?

I dont think this is really a viable set up. Now I am no expert on side mount. Never even tried it, or even seen anyone else using it but Im guessing you will need a whole new kit and a whole new skill set.
The benefit of a sling over twins is of course weight and its easy to add a sling if your buddy decides not to dive, where if you go the side mount way its side mounts or nothing.

As for what else you need, back up mask, 2 SMBs, 2 cutting devices, 2 spools etc etc. For non deco dives I wouldnt worry about 2 bottom timers/ computers. If it fails abort the dive. have a 5 meter mark on your SMB spool. Its way cheaper and more reliable.

My suggestions would be doubles IF you intent going further down the "tech" route since you will more than likely be getting them anyway. Or a sling tank. Once again this can also be used in your tech diving as a deco cylinder.

My girlfriend has been known to dive solo!

Some would argue that she dives solo every time I take a camera on our dives!

From a mid-life bachelor crisis point of view, I would not dive solo so much if there was a hot dive buddy in my life. I would love to share my underwater adventures with a special someone, but no scruffy, wet suit peeing dude will ever keep me from solo diving :)

Anyhow..Side mount? Really Andy?

I dont think this is really a viable set up. Now I am no expert on side mount. Never even tried it, or even seen anyone else using it but Im guessing you will need a whole new kit and a whole new skill set.

It's perfectly viable - for someone who is a "dedicated solo diver" and only dives solo, it really is the best choice. For most people, who may solo a bit, it's not necessarily the best compromise - but then neither are manifolded twins for the mostly solo diver who does a bit of tech.

Whilst you can shell out for a system like the DR Nomad or the GG Armadillo, you can just dig out that old jacket style BC and modify that to suit with a few bits of bungee and some new reg/HP hoses. Yes, there are new skills - but they shouldn't be a real challenge, it's mostly gas management and always keeping an appropriate reserve.

I actually use a modified Petzl full body climbing harness for diving sidemount along with a few tweaks to my BP/W to stop myself from getting angel wings.

Everything that can go wrong with your gas supply is visible, no guesswork in trying to work out what is happening behind your head and no delay in resolving it.

Ah, sorry. I didnt realise Divechiq was considering only every doing solo diving. My bad.

Had she only been considering doing solo every now and then I would say twins are the way to go if you are heading down the tech route or a sling in most other situations.

As I said before I have never seen a side mount set up. I would think using a standard type BCmay cause problems as its designed to be inflated around a tank and with the tank not there it would be a bit strange.

Ah, sorry. I didnt realise Divechiq was considering only every doing solo diving. My bad.

Had she only been considering doing solo every now and then I would say twins are the way to go if you are heading down the tech route or a sling in most other situations.

As I said before I have never seen a side mount set up. I would think using a standard type BCmay cause problems as its designed to be inflated around a tank and with the tank not there it would be a bit strange.

i'm not really considering a lot of solo diving - more self reliant stuff first.
i dive with people on rebreathers and doubles and whilst i can handle doubles (very new at it - and still to finish my TDI Adv Deco), i think i'll start with a single tank and a pony.

i dive with an OMS bp/w and have the Drings all set up in the right place to me to side mount my pony. which is the next thing i think i'll get as when i say my pony, i mean the one i have been borrowing from a friend. and some regs and a pressure gauge (on a 6" hose).

Thanks Andy and Packhorse ( .. dude have we met?)

I think the pony is the best choice for you then. It means you dont have to change your gear configuration at all and since you are doing adv deco then there are new skills to learn.

I think Andy is right about side mounts being a good option for solo only divers but not the best option for you by a long way.

Not sure if we have met ot not. Maybe at the Lake or Global or something???
Keen to catch up for a dive if you want though. PM me or check out the buddy up forum at SODS.

I have been doing quite a bit out Gannet rock lately. Its really the jewel of the gulf at the moment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom