Female first time travelling solo, first dive trip. I think Cozumel is the way to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is kind of off-topic but I've just remembered something that I had forgotten, my Uncle once told me that during World War II soldiers going into combat were eligible for a free $10,000 life insurance policy from the US government - which was a lot of money back then. All they had to do was sign a form and list their beneficiaries but a number of guys didn't bother with the insurance because "nothing is going to happen to me!" It's hard to believe that they were so convinced of their own immortality as they headed into combat but I suppose it was denial or some other kind of defense mechanism.

If it's that much more expensive I'm recommending you go with DWM. Once you've dove Coz you'll be back especially if you live near enough to Toronto to fly direct so easily. Re a wetsuit you may want one but so you know I've never needed one but am a bit more cold tolerant than most because I'm Canadian & spend a fair bit of time outside in the winter. Water temps in Feb are usually 79-80 F at the surface & as low as 76 F at depth (based on my computer over the 18 years that I've had it). If in doubt rent one for at least your first day.

I will buy DAN on top of trip insurance. My math, for DWM $285 for 4 days and 1 night dive =$400 CAD. I don't know if that includes tax, doesn't say on their website. Would also need to rent a wetsuit on top of that I think, plus cab fare. For 4 days diving with Tres Pelicanos $325 diving plus $200 rental is $525 USD or $730 Canadian. So about a $330 difference between the two! Would you say the convenience of location is worth that much?

I'm not following your math, for instance, equip rental with tres pelicanos is $50 for 5 days, not $50 per day. Actually, it's $12 per day for everything but a wetsuit. Anyhow, DWM, 4 days plus night dive is $285. Tres P for the same thing would be $325 plus $48 for equip or approximately $375. Add $40 for taxi fare you'd need to pay with DWM, and DWM is $335 compared to $375. Not including other incidentals or the possibility that DWM doesn't charge tax, it's about $40 difference in US dollars. I've never been diving with either shop, but Tres P is a small shop and I like that and would pay $40 extra to dive with them, though the location of the airbnb room would also figure in. It may be easier to go with DWM and get a taxi from your airbnb room than to walk to the Tres P shop and have them get you to the marina. Not exactly sure where Tres P is, but I think the Colonial hotel is very close (a block or so from Tres P?) and Suites Bahia isn't too much further. Since I'm lazy and move slow, I'll put one more plug in for getting on a boat at the downtown pier. If you stayed at the Bahia, you'd walk about a block to get on the boat. No car rides. No early departure. Nice breakfast and plenty of time to go back to your room, grab your dry bag and get on the boat. Very easy and relaxing.

The ADO bus from CUN to Playa is cheap and easy. The terminal is close to the ferry to Cozumel, so if it saves you flight costs, it's not a bad option.

I've dove with DWM & TP but I only did a few days with DWM so I could re connect with a DM who used to work at another op I like many years ago. I've dove with TP the last 2 trips & started when Jorge left Blue Angel (Steve started TP by hiring some Blue Angel employees) to work for them. I have dove with Jorge for several years & we mesh well. That said I also dive with 5 or 6 other ops too just to stay in touch with certain people but as luck sometimes goes I meet many of them at Palancar Pier during SI's. When you've been to Coz as many times as I have you make friends & many move to different ops or start their own, and I like spending a bit of time with those friends.

The ADO bus from CUN to Playa is cheap and easy. The terminal is close to the ferry to Cozumel, so if it saves you flight costs, it's not a bad option.
Welcome to the party, but you're late. Yeah, the Ado bus is cheap & easy but she wouldn't save enough to pay for bus & ferry rides.

I will buy DAN on top of trip insurance. My math, for DWM $285 for 4 days and 1 night dive =$400 CAD. I don't know if that includes tax, doesn't say on their website. Would also need to rent a wetsuit on top of that I think, plus cab fare. For 4 days diving with Tres Pelicanos $325 diving plus $200 rental is $525 USD or $730 Canadian. So about a $330 difference between the two! Would you say the convenience of location is worth that much?
Yeah, I'm not accepting your math either. Let's stick to USD for the discussion since that's how they are priced. The Canadian dollar is down, I know, but you can figure that aside.

I'm sure you'd do fine with Tres Pelicans or Dive With Martin, both fine Ops, so let's compare similar package pricing...

TP: 4 - 2 tank morning trips for $280 + 1 tank night dive* for $47 = $327
---> 5 day equipment rental**: $50 = $377

DWM: 4 - 2 tank morning trips for $255 + 1 tank night dive* for $30 = $285
---> Free gear use** plus $10/round-trip for taxi x 5 = $50 = $335

* A one tank night dive is fun, but I like 2 tanks as it's better to do a twilight and experience the transition period, followed by a night tank preferably on the same site.
** TP price includes BCD, Regulator, Octopus and Gauges vs DWM also includes fins and mask (based on availability), but I'd certainly want to dive my own mask & fins at either Op to ensure fit. I guess you had to have those to train? I guess some tourists do show up without those, but that's just beyond me.
TP dive computers are pricey @ $10/day vs DWM doesn't have any, but many tourists don't bother. You wouldn't understand a rental computer anyway. Lights & suits are extra with both, but you only need a light for the night dive, and suits - well, that's complicated. Everyone pees in suits, but I guess they wash them well. I'd suggest you owning & taking your own, at least a long dive skin - to ensure fit, to protect against stings that do happen, to wear under a rental suit, etc.

Getting to & from the boat...
TP's office is close to many downtown hotels and the rides are free, a little cozy, but not uncomfortable. Getting to the office by 7:40am was a little challenging as my free breakfast buffet started late that week, but it worked ok. It's nice to use a boat docked at the marina with short rides to & from sites.
DWM: 7:30am boat boarding gets you to the sites before anyone else, but dang that is early - for me. You might be able to share taxi fares if you happen to meet someone who will ride with you to & from the same exact spot downtown, on time, etc. It'd be a little longer boat ride to the dive sites but no problem in nice weather. I do carry an pocket blanket in my backpack on any hike or ride and have used one once on a boat ride.
IF YOU ARE SET ON AIRNB, that's different - depends on where you stay. I like a full service hotel with 24 hour security.

So, apples vs oranges - but about the same. Pick the one you like.
Not exactly sure where Tres P is, but I think the Colonial hotel is very close (a block or so from Tres P?) and Suites Bahia isn't too much further.
Google maps work, but yeah - 2 or 3 blocks.

Since I'm lazy and move slow, I'll put one more plug in for getting on a boat at the downtown pier. If you stayed at the Bahia, you'd walk about a block to get on the boat. No car rides. No early departure. Nice breakfast and plenty of time to go back to your room, grab your dry bag and get on the boat.
Ok, that does not apply to either of these 2 Ops. :confused:

I think Don would be right on this one. She's done her certification dives plus 2 open water dives so far which implies not a lot of time learning ANY computer.

Plenty of people have been bent diving less than 80'. Being conservative is no guarantee of safety and the unexpected can strike no matter how safe you are trying to be. Suit yourself, but I am not diving without dive insurance.

Agreed ggunn. If one stays under too long at any depth they can get bent and of course a great deal depends on their physical condition, hydration level, level of fatigue, are they sick, have they been drinking the night before, etc. As such, my statement that I seldom dive deeper than 80' is meaningless. I mind my computer, always stay well within my safe range, dive only when I am healthy, get to bed early, and behave myself top side if I will be diving the next day. There are conservative dive computers and there are less conservative dive computers and everyone needs to remember the various algorythms the dive computers use and plug in an additional level of safety are all based on 18-25 year old Navy divers in top physical condition that created the dive tables in the 1st place. I'm not 20 and I'm not in the physical condition I was when I was 20. I dive conservative with all other factors being minded. As such, I don't feel a need to carry DAN insurance... My choice. Hope you never have to say, "Told 'ya so".

Back
Top Bottom