Female divers using BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone! I am going to try my dive buddies out sometime this summer. If I like it, which I expect that I will, my hopes are to have a system by this fall or next spring, savings pennies as I speak. :D

Of course, then comes the big questions, which system, etc., etc., but I think there are lots of posts out there on SB to check out.

BTW, I ended up crossing my straps, too. For those of us with narrow shoulders, it helps a lot.

TSandM -- would you be willing to go back to your Libra in order to let someone else try your BP/W? Enquiring Minds Need to Know!

Peter Guy, are you the guy or the horse in the pic?

i mean.. that's confusing, man

:wink:

Finally convince my wife to switch.. She loves the BP/W.

Jury is still out on the long hose, although she is getting better with it..

Peter Guy:
TSandM -- would you be willing to go back to your Libra in order to let someone else try your BP/W? Enquiring Minds Need to Know!

Wow, we were wondering how long you would hold out...:D

A lot of women are too short for the BP (it was designed for a 6 foot man, after all). A lot of bigger women can make a standard BP work just fine, but if you're on the shorter side, you may run into trouble with your trim (head down). Dive Rite offers the solution to this problem -- The short backplate of the XS/SM Transpac has made A LOT of women happy. Try it and you'll understand. There are some companies out there that produce a short BP, but I understand they can be hard to get your pretty little hands on.

scubapolly:
I tried out several BP/W, and never found one that I thought was comfortable. It wasn't the plate, it was the harness that I found uncomfortable because I could keep the webbing from compressing in places that made my whole arm go numb. I went with a TransPac an love it. If I had to do it over again I might do the Trans Plate instead, but overall I'm happy with it.

Try it and see if you like it.

I love my TransPac as well, though I'd probably consider a TransPlate too. I went with the TransPac because it was more inexpensive, and extremely comfortable, but I imagine you could trick out the Transplate to be the exact same way.

Only complaint with the Transpac is the lack of pockets. I have a short torso, thus having a weightbelt interferes with any BCD or BP/W, so the integrated weight pockets on my Transpac are the only ones I have. I've figured out a way to strap a fanny pack under it to hold lenses though, so that works pretty well.

Adjusting my buoyancy with the rear inflate system (Transpac is sort of a BP/wing, sort of not because the 'plate' is hard plastic) took me 1.5 dives. The girl who worked at my dive shop dove the Halcyon BP/wing and adores it and I know many other women that dive a real BP/wing, love it, and have no difficulties with it. Try them (I'd also recommend trying the Transpac), and if you like them, dive with them. The exclusively reason I started with the Transpac and was looking at the BP/wings was because normal BCDs were really squeezing me when inflated, and now I can have mine full to the point of bursting and not feel a thing.

TSandM -- would you be willing to go back to your Libra in order to let someone else try your BP/W?

For you, sweetheart, anything . . . for anybody else, I'd ask Bob if I could borrow one of his :)

TSandM:
For you, sweetheart, anything . . . for anybody else, I'd ask Bob if I could borrow one of his :)
Peter has a standing invitation to use one of my BP/W rigs anytime he wants (thought he knew that) ... heck, he's even got his choice of wings ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom