Female divers using BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riff-raff

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi! I am currently using a SeaQuest Diva LX BC with weight integration for cold water diving. I am considering going to a BP/W as I feel so crowded in the Diva. Also, when I have the weight pouches in, the pockets are useless.

I mentioned to my LDS that I was considering going to a BP/W. The response I received was "I don't see why you would need that for your type of diving" (only recreational). The next response that I received was "you will be very uncomfortable with a metal plate, (it has no padding)". Then I heard "you will have to learn everything all over again (i.e. bouyancy, etc.)".

I have talked with a couple of male dive friends and they love their BP/W, though one dives both rec and tech and the other just rec. From what I have read here on SB, I can't see that any of the statements the person at the LDS said to be correct.

Looking for some advice from any other ladies who dive with a BP/W.

Thx.

I've dived nothing else for the last 12 years or so. THe only answer I can give in reply to your LDS's comments is "Bull****". You will love the freedom you have with the BP/W combo. They pack very small (and light) for travel, you can use any size wing you like (it "grows" with you, should you so decide), and bouyancy control is no more difficult with a BP/W than a jacket style BC. It may take a few dives for you to get accustomed to the nuances of a BP/W, but that is to be expected from any new BCD. WRT to the padding issue- I dive one in everything from a t shirt to a drysuit with 400G undergarment- you wont notice that it isnt there.

Good luck :)

In other words, they didn't want to sell one to you.

There are many recreational female divers here that use a BP/W. I'm sure they will chime in soon.

If you dive in Michigan you're probably diving with a drysuit or a very thick wetsuit. You exposure suit should provide plenty of padding. However, there are many people who use a BP/W in tropical waters and are still very comfortable.

If you have ever used a back inflate style BC then there isn't anything to learn. The only difference is the shape of the wing which could be either U or O shaped. With a U shaped bladder you can trap air on one side but, depending on the situation, this could be either an advantage or disadvantage. It's not a big issue and boils down to personal preference.

My GF has a SeaQuest Libra, and for the past year I was telling her how much I like my BPs (I have two) and that she should give it a try. She wanted to, but was very busy when diving (she's an instructor).

About three weeks ago she finally borrowed one of mine for a pool session where she checked out her new camera gear. She came back all grins and a big fan of the backplate after just that one pool dive. It was all the standard stuff you read about - the wide open feeling in front, the trim issues, the streamlining.

She now owns two. A SS for cold water, and a lightweight one for travel.

And don't worry about the comfort factor. It's much more adjustable than a standard BC (since nothing is stitched in place) and I uave used mine bareback (no exposure suit at all) in the Florida Keys without any discomfort at all.

riff-raff:
The response I received was "I don't see why you would need that for your type of diving" (only recreational).

well... a bp/wings is infinetely adjustable, and gets you a "custom fit" that
no BC can. no matter what your type of diving, that right there is an enormous
plus.

additionally, the bp/wing is much more streamlined that any BC, there's less
weight, drag, and consequently, less effort to move it through the water. again,
this benefit is there no matter what type of diving you are doing.

they are also indestructible, pretty much. they're simple, rugged, and don't
have many failure points. not having your boyancy device fail on you is a plus
no matter what type of diving you are doing.

The next response that I received was "you will be very uncomfortable with a metal plate, (it has no padding)".

this is actually laughable. bp/wings are about as comfortable as they come.
through a wetsuit, you can't even tell that there's metal back there.

this is such a non-issue it's not even funny.

Then I heard "you will have to learn everything all over again (i.e. bouyancy, etc.)".

and that's a good thing.

i wouldn't go so far as to say you'll have to learn everything all over again, but
i would say that diving with a bp/wings makes nailing your trim and bouyancy
so much easier than with a BC. BC's tend to get you vertical in the water,
with your feet down. bp/wings tend to get you flat in the water, with your
feet more horizontal. this is actually good, as it will help you kick silt on the
bottom and rototill the crap out of the bottom.

most people, by the way, take a dive or two tops to get used to their bp/wings

SeanQ:
In other words, they didn't want to sell one to you.

you got that right!

:wink:

My wife has dove a BP/W for years and loves it. Its clean up front... all good for the ladies. The weight of the BP moves weight from your middle (hips) to up above your lungs. Your trim will benifit as will the loss of weight on your pelvis make you more comfortable.

It will take a bit of getting use to. You will not float as high in the water on the surface... but after one dive you will learn to lean back into the unit like an easy chair.

Try one out... you wont go back.

I had a BP/W for cave diving, but I sold it yrs ago when I moved out of central Fl because I knew I'd not be in a cave again for a long, long time. I have been kicking myself for the last 3 years. I have a Diva for local diving (Mass) and Libra for travel to warm locales, but I still miss my old setup. I may get another one, come to think of it...

I do not ever recall being uncomfortable. Oh, and the buoyancy thing wouldn't exactly be rocket science for someone diving a Diva, either. You will probably LOVE getting rid of all that bc bulk!!!

I think your LDS is full of it. Maybe you can find someone more appropriate to give some profit to?

riff-raff:
Hi! I am currently using a SeaQuest Diva LX BC with weight integration for cold water diving. I am considering going to a BP/W as I feel so crowded in the Diva. Also, when I have the weight pouches in, the pockets are useless.

I mentioned to my LDS that I was considering going to a BP/W. The response I received was "I don't see why you would need that for your type of diving" (only recreational). The next response that I received was "you will be very uncomfortable with a metal plate, (it has no padding)". Then I heard "you will have to learn everything all over again (i.e. bouyancy, etc.)".

I have talked with a couple of male dive friends and they love their BP/W, though one dives both rec and tech and the other just rec. From what I have read here on SB, I can't see that any of the statements the person at the LDS said to be correct.

Looking for some advice from any other ladies who dive with a BP/W.

Thx.
Well, I'm not a lady, but my ex-wife (who's still my #1 dive buddy) switched from a Diva LX to a backplate/wing about two years ago and couldn't be happier. She is strictly a recreational diver ... and has no desire to be anything more than that.

None of what your LED staff person told you is based on fact. My ex found the BP to be far more comfortable than the Diva, and there was no "learning curve". She was very comfortable diving the backplate system from the very first dive. And she still is ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There are very comfortable BP/Ws on the market. Understand, many divers still look at the BP/W as a tech BC and the jacket type as recreational so it's quite common for an LDS to steer "recreational" divers toward the jacket BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom