Fellow Diver OOA Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HumanFish..... I agree with you. There's far more involved in being a DM than just a tour guide. Again, what's the point in going through all the training in becoming one if it's just to point out things of interest. If that's the case, then as familiar as I am with some dive sites, this should qualify me to be called a DM because I too can point out things of interest. If not so? Then why not so?

Alternative view is whats the point of anyone going through dive training, rescue skills and drills when you have an underwater nanny to do it for you.

String:
Alternative view is whats the point of anyone going through dive training, rescue skills and drills when you have an underwater nanny to do it for you.

OK, that's pretty funny now.

In this particular incident then YOU would have acted as the "underwater nanny" to the LOA diver and *rescued* him, despite the fact that he has been recently trained, is not *out* of air, is right next to his buddy with plenty of air for both, abandoned your own buddy, and saved the day.

You would have gladly done this, without a second thought about the role of the DM, who you paid your hard earned cash to. You wouldn't be upset that they didn't take some responsibility for their paying customers, including their obligation to you, as a skilled diver, to not put you in charge of being the "underwater nanny" to the unskilled divers the operator has brought along for the tour.

I think you've made your point clear. Kudos to you for not expecting more from your DM. I'm sure the DM on your next dive will be happy to know that you are along to help out, so they can do less....

Standard practice in diving is to help someone in trouble. Its something all divers are trained for so i cant see the issue. Why should you expect more from a tour guide than that?
Fortunately we dont dive with DMs here so dont normally get the issue but i dare say i'll come across a boat with one when im in the usa in june. Hopefully they'll give me a nice site brief and if in the water, lead it nicely. Thats all i ask and all i want.

Somehow I'd guess that if an accident had occured in this case, the DM would be the first and foremost person brought to the carpet to account for their actions.

Playing duck and hide with one's resposibilities doesn't release them. While local laws may not bind them, I'd expect actionfrom certifying agencies.

This is also one reason I plan on eventually doing the DM course, inspite of not having any personal desire to be a DM, but for my own protection (IMO too many unreliable DMs in the ocean).

MoonWrasse:
Somehow I'd guess that if an accident had occured in this case, the DM would be the first and foremost person brought to the carpet to account for their actions.

Playing duck and hide with one's resposibilities doesn't release them. While local laws may not bind them, I'd expect actionfrom certifying agencies.

This is also one reason I plan on eventually doing the DM course, inspite of not having any personal desire to be a DM, but for my own protection (IMO too many unreliable DMs in the ocean).

Your logic is inverted. You don't do the DM course for your own protection, at least not in the legal sense. By doing the DM course, in many countries, you become more responsible.
Most non-US resident DMs and instructors that I know will never flash their cards or comment on their qualifications when diving in the US or some other places - they only show their Advanced card.

No, my logic is not inverted. The sole reason I plan on doing the DM is for my own safety. I'm assuming that a decent DM program will have me doing more than step-N-fetchit activities :wink:

As per only flashing the AOW card, that I do understand and likely will also practice.

MoonWrasse:

I find this fixation on placing blame and punishing people quite facinating.

What ever happened to "Someone needs help, so you help them"?

Terry

Web Monkey:
I find this fixation on placing blame and punishing people quite facinating.

What ever happened to "Someone needs help, so you help them"?

Terry

I don't know how you managed to read that into my post, but to clarify my position, I agree with your statement 'What ever happened to "Someone needs help, so you help them"?'.

To elaborate on that, of all the people in a guided group UW who is likely best trained to identify and administer aid, is the DM.

Back
Top Bottom