Fellow Diver OOA Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

humanFish:
So because he and his buddy showed me his guage it would somehow have made me responsible for him/them? This is a serious question...as I am still somewhat baffled by the situation.

In a word. Yes. I have no idea if you were legally responsible, but that's really not the issue. For whatever reason, he assumed that you would know what to do and/or could help, and it wasn't the time to play "You're not my buddy, go away".

You should have immediately done a normal ascent together, along with a normal 15', 3 minute safety stop, while keeping an eye on him, ready to give him whichever reg you were trained to share, if he has problems.

Terry

"If someone wants attention above normal buddy pairing then they should pay extra to buddy with DM or dive with their own personal instructor or dm."

Are you not paying them (DM's) when you tip them? If not, then what's that (the tip) all about? It is rare when a group of divers on a dive charter are "ALL" of the same dive experience especially when traveling to some far distant land. I feel it is the Dive Master's responsibility to keep watch and insure the safe return of all divers. If they're not doing the job, then who? Typically the DM is familiar with the dive site and can show you points of interest (true), but also the hazards of the site if there are any. With your perspective on this issue, it would seem that one would want compensation for helping out a diver in trouble if they were not your buddy. Wouldn't that too be considered attention above normal buddy pairing that you suggest one pay for? When diving (and I feel most divers think this way), we make ourselves aware of not only ourselves and our dive buddy, but all divers within our sight. I feel the more dive experience one has, the more aware of other divers they become. Although, when diving in a new area our attention can be else where, like checking out some sea creature we're seeing for the first time. Hence, its nice to have A DM, another pair of eyes watching for signs of trouble from any diver, even from those that are confident in their diving abilities and feel that they can do it all by themselves. But they too can get into trouble and need help. I don't mean to be a hard butt here. So please, no one take offense. Diving is only as safe as WE make it, for ourselves and each other.

So I ask, does a DM really go through all their CPR, rescue and other training just to become a tour guide, sell things in the LDS, arrange some dive trips and help divers on and off the boat? Or is it to help create a safer diving environment to all (regardless of their level of experience) by overseeing the dive, being ready to commence a diver rescue operation if required and make for a great, safe dive outing? You answer.

JustDiveIt:
Are you not paying them (DM's) when you tip them? If not, then what's that (the tip) all about?

Tipping isnt common everywhere, certainly not in the med or other areas. As for what is a tip for, if you think they did their job well, ie guided a tour, found the interesting bits and so on then tip them. If they didnt, dont.

It is rare when a group of divers on a dive charter are "ALL" of the same dive experience especially when traveling to some far distant land. I feel it is the Dive Master's responsibility to keep watch and insure the safe return of all divers.

Thats the roll of the planning, organiser and sometimes the dive master in assigning the buddy pairs - you're supposed to operate as a pair and they should be assigned with that in mind. If the instructor/DM/anyone doesnt think someone is up to the dive with any of the pairing options available he should tell him, either buddy with him or inform him of the worry. Babysitting is the job of an instructor and not something that should be forced onto everyone by an overzealous DM.

If they're not doing the job, then who? Typically the DM is familiar with the dive site and can show you points of interest (true), but also the hazards of the site if there are any.

As i said, a good accurate dive brief for the site in question is part of their role as a guide.

With your perspective on this issue, it would seem that one would want compensation for helping out a diver in trouble if they were not your buddy.

Compensation culture at the moment is quite frankly, crap. Yes you try to look after each other under water however at the end of the day everyone is a responsible adult and should be able to weight up the risks/benefits for themselves. They should accept that before getting in the water. Looking to sue someone because it went wrong when the person wasnt expected to help you is crazy. You're in the water knowing the risks,if you need to pay someone to look after your safety in my view you arent qualified to dive. You either accept people will try and do their best or you dont get in.

Wouldn't that too be considered attention above normal buddy pairing that you suggest one pay for?

There are some things you expect off a buddy and some things you dont, you expect them to have been trained to a minimum standard and be aware of certain procedures and solutions and you hope theyd use them if needed. A rescue or instructor grade where you need to constantly nanny people about their air, adjust their buoyancy and generally hand hold is beyond that - if you need that pay for it.

Hence, its nice to have A DM, another pair of eyes watching for signs of trouble from any diver, even from those that are confident in their diving abilities and feel that they can do it all by themselves.

"nice" but not essential (see above). Thats not their job in my view, if i want yet another person there for my own personal protection id expect to have to pay them.

So I ask, does a DM really go through all their CPR, rescue and other training just to become a tour guide, sell things in the LDS, arrange some dive trips and help divers on and off the boat?

Quite often you or also as a stepping stone towards instructor grade.

If people EXPECT someone to act above the normal buddy level of attention then expect to pay for it. Otherwise you're demanding something from nothing.
Having a divemaster lurking around is no excuse for poor buddy procedures,pairings and dive conduct - they therefore shouldnt be used as a safety net excuse for one poor buddy practices go wrong.

Web Monkey:
In a word. Yes. I have no idea if you were legally responsible, but that's really not the issue. For whatever reason, he assumed that you would know what to do and/or could help, and it wasn't the time to play "You're not my buddy, go away".

You should have immediately done a normal ascent together, along with a normal 15', 3 minute safety stop, while keeping an eye on him, ready to give him whichever reg you were trained to share, if he has problems.

Terry

If a LOA diver comes up to me and it's not yet an emergency, the first question is "where's your buddy". I don't see why I should cut short my dive if the buddy is close by and it's not yet an emergency.
Now if there's no buddy and it's turning into an OOA then OK we go up after making sure my own buddy has seen what is happening.

miketsp:
If a LOA diver comes up to me and it's not yet an emergency, the first question is "where's your buddy". I don't see why I should cut short my dive if the buddy is close by and it's not yet an emergency.
Now if there's no buddy and it's turning into an OOA then OK we go up after making sure my own buddy has seen what is happening.

I'd never blow off someone who came to me for help, and I see no reason to turn the minor inconvienience into a potential disaster.

A diver who goes to someone else (not his buddy) and shows 650 Lbs left already has four immediate problems and one pending problem:
  • He's not with his buddy
  • He didn't go to his buddy for assistance, which may mean he knows his buddy is incapable of providing assistance.
  • He's low on air
  • He is unable or unwilling to ascend by himself (understandable when LOA)
  • He may run completely out of air before reaching the surface, panic and drown, or bolt and get DCS.
I'd much rather cut the dive short for my buddy and myself, and help out another diver than send him on his way and find that he got hurt or killed, or even just really scared.

Terry

miketsp:
Look back at the original post. There were only 4 divers in the water. The DM was the buddy for Humanfish. The other two divers were clearly inexperienced. The DM/ Humanfish's buddy was oblivious to what was going on 35' behind her as she continued to fin away.

In a situation like this, the appropriate thing to do is to gather up the other buddy and start an ascent. It's not like you are going to be cutting every other dive short taking care of LOA situations.

Terry, those are all good points, but I think I'm inclined to agree with Miketsp. First, because somebody ought to account for the LOA diver's buddy, anyway - and because you shouldn't take off leaving your own behind without letting them know what's going on.

I wouldn't assume that somebody who is low on air is on the edge of panic if we don't immediately head for the surface, or that their own buddy - who ought to be going with them anyway - isn't capable of providing the air needed for the LOA diver to end the dive safely. There should be time to sort out who's who underwater, and to figure out who ought to be leaving with whom for the surface. I think taking the little bit of time that should be required to do that is probably the better and safer thing to do all around. If the LOA diver's buddy really has gone missing, you might as well know that before surfacing.

Stirling:
Terry, those are all good points, but I think I'm inclined to agree with Miketsp. First, because somebody ought to account for the LOA diver's buddy, anyway - and because you shouldn't take off leaving your own behind without letting them know what's going on.

Good point on finding the LOA's buddy. Mine would have been right there anyway, since we're always within a few feet of each other.

Stirling:
I wouldn't assume that somebody who is low on air is on the edge of panic if we don't immediately head for the surface, or that their own buddy - who ought to be going with them anyway - isn't capable of providing the air needed for the LOA diver to end the dive safely.

I would have guessed that if the diver didn't go to his buddy first, there must be some reason.

Terry

String:
If you need a babysitter you should pay for a babysitter. Unless explicitly buddied WITH someone a divemaster should be an underwater tour guide. Anyone who requires looking after or instruction should pay extra and have their very own.
The dive conduct should be managed by the buddy pairs involved.

The DM *was* my buddy. I don't need a babysitter, I need a buddy. Presumably, on a paid charter, when paired with the DM, the DM should act accordingly. IMO, being a a good tour guide includes pointing out interesting reef features and wildlife, not setting the pace by being so far ahead of the group...

My question regarding this certain 15% of DM's stems from my belief that a good DM pays attention to the group. Yes, they are tour guides, but for my $80 per tank, they better be taking care of business to make sure things go smoothly while leading the tour. It's hard to do this if you are motoring away from the group...

If he;s your buddy then he is responsible for you in so far as the buddy system works therefore you should be close.

I still cant see why hes expected to fix other peoples screwups as well as part of the package.

Back
Top Bottom