Feet during giant stride ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miked

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Perhaps an odd question.
I was asked it last week by a new diver, and I had no real solid answer.

The question was "what, if any, is the recommended position for the feet when entering the water using a giant stride?"

All I could say was that it helps avoid a faceplant if your leading foot ( the one you "stride with") is is somewhat "toes up" during the stride, but regarding the trailing foot, or either foot the half second later when they hit the water?????

What is taught?? What is done???-or do most people justy "let it happen ???

Thanks,
Mike

Hmm, I just look forward with both feet pointing straight out. Take a step while looking straight out. I think my other foot/leg hits the water with my knee first as I step forward and slip into the water and the weight of me/gear gravity does the rest.

Everyone probably does it slightly differently based on how strongly they step out into space. The distance above the water also affects how much time we have to make an adjustment, between the initial stepping motion and when we hit the water.

The only way I actively control my giant step, is that I've trained myself to bring my thighs together before I hit the water when stepping from a high gunwale. It isn't my feet I'm worried about at that moment.

I agree with dF... big drops, bring your legs together! I think your back foot should probably be pointing down as you kick when you hit the water. Good question though though cause I usually "just let it happen"

I like to keep the stride position until I'm in the water. I find it lets my legs and fins take the brunt of the entry and helps me keep my BC in position. I keep the heel of my hand on my reg with the fingertips on the mask. The other arm is across the chest securing eveything else. Works for me.

From any height I think it's best to have the legs together with one foot in front of the other, both approx horizontal, the idea being to create as much drag with the fins as possible.

never really thought of the rear leg... if it's a long drop though, I usually bring my legs together...

I just step out. During the rescue class we were reviewing this by chance and the instructor said I was doing it wrong. he said to just step out & don't push off with the rear foot. I also think my trailing leg's knee is what hits the water. Still not sure if I really do it perfectly, but it seems to get me in the water OK.

i seldom wear my fins when giant stiding. i like to put the straps around my wrist, and put on feet in the water. i have seen too many slips and falls on boats. the next thing i do is swim under the boat looking at it from below. this is to be sure i go to the right boat at end of dive.
none of above applies when drift diving of course.

I probably shouldn't, but it causes me to laugh my ass off when I see someone doing a giant stride without...well...the giant part of the stride...and do a face plant...Of course...I do wait to see if they are ok first...well...I only laugh a little until then:)

i seldom wear my fins when giant stiding. i like to put the straps around my wrist, and put on feet in the water. i have seen too many slips and falls on boats. the next thing i do is swim under the boat looking at it from below. this is to be sure i go to the right boat at end of dive.
none of above applies when drift diving of course.

Can't see how walking to the exit point with booties on would reduce the risk of falling...I feel it may actually be more of a risk
...not to mention the risk of losing a fin. You have a longer and wider surface area with the fins to make you more stable. But I do see divers do it, but they put their fins on right before doing their entry
...Just seems like extra work that is unnecessary when you wait to get in the water before putting fins on.

Have you ever had your fins fly up and hit you in the face when you hit the water....and...and...knock your mask off or something...Sorry...but I would laugh at that too...of course after I knew you were ok:)

But...if it works better for you then it's all good...If you don't like walking to the exit with fins, you may want to try to put them on right before entry. Just food for thought...

Back
Top Bottom