Feet during giant stride ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok, I hate giant strides, as I have seen far too many people get hurt doing it. However, some boats insist that you do a giant stride and only a giant stride..

To which I will do a medium "hop" with both feet... and for reasons I don't understand.. they never complain...but do a back drop, and I get yelled at.

For the record.. if next to the water, just do the giant step..if higher up.. bring the legs together...but it will still be my entry of last choice.

An interesting point - how high are most giant strides? Normally from a boat they're only a few feet, though I have been on two liveaboards where the drop was more than 10 feet. My highest was during a quasi-commercial diving course in the UK, where the drop was 16 feet. That's getting to be quite a lot!

When the drop is just a very few feet it's often fun to do a "back flop", just fall over backwards so the tank hits first. Good for shallow water, as you barely submerge.

Giant stride from a low deck or platform (<4', fins on, hold mask and reg, step off, legs still spread slightly.
Giant stride from a high deck or platform (>4?' fins on, hold mask and reg, step off, legs still spread slightly but try to insure my trailing leg does not twist.

When I go boat diving on a boat I know has a high step off point, I just bring my Omega Flip fins, they make for a very easy entry.

I was never taught anything about foot position during a giant stride. Foot angle is largely irrelevant for the purpose of giant stride entry. Just look straight out toward the horizon and take a big step while holding on to your mask. The stride creates an inverted V that provides a large amount of surface area, slowing entry into the water and preventing the weighted diver from plummeting toward the bottom. Skip it if you want to submerge quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom