Feeling like a hypocrite...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At Vortex springs in Fla, we were molested by some eels that would got all up in our stuff, per the operator there they were looking for Cheeze wiz. they associate divers with cheeze wiz. the compressed can fits in a bc pocket.

When I was in my teens I would rather smash something than make something. I mocked people who cared.

In my twenties I was struck by the thought that it was easier to break an egg than to care for one (destruction vs production) and that the latter was something to be far more proud of. I think this was due to my association with some amazing and grounded people (mainly farmers). I really wanted to be like them but was (at that time) incapable because I lacked discipline, compassion, and the ability to put others above myself. My wants and needs came first, even though they had no basis in anything meaningful. They just came out of how I felt in the moment - whimsy, an inflated sense of self importance and boredom.

In my thirties I developed a philosophy for living, but it was largely intellectual. A lot of my actions did not match my stated beliefs.

In my forties I began trying to live as I believed. They have been the hardest years because, unlike previous periods which all allowed me to stroke my ego in some way, these have not. They involve reining in impulses, thinking how my actions effect others and bumping up against my own shortfalls. In the past I could point my finger at others but now I find it pointing back at me.

I don't often wear my beliefs on my sleeve for the world to see partly because I don't think anyone else really cares that much and I know how hard it is to actually put ones money where ones mouth is. Kinda difficult to brag about something one continually struggles with. But I certainly don't ascribe to the philosophy of no philosophy. It is better to try and fall short sometimes than to never try at all.

I once tried to catch a lobster and broke his long pointy thing. I felt bad about injuring it, but on the boat another diver came unglued at me for touching it. to me a lobster is food and the only thing saving him was a park rule about it. It is still only a justification, I should not have touched him and the other diver was justified, and I am responsible at some level for causing botht the lobster and her pain. but of course she is responsible for how upset she got. I think we are all individuals and we are all the same being. seperate parts of the same God. and we eat animals, and they eat each other all part of the workings of the world.

I agree that we are all part of The Mutual Eating Society and that consuming other critters is not a bad thing (with exceptions for those whose take is illegal or which are rare or unsustainable. However, I think it is important to uncenter ourselves when we look at any living system and realize that it is not there just for us (unless you're a fundamentalist who believes in a literal interpretation of the Bible). I do mainly night dives during the summer months and see thousands of lobster. I Marvel at their behavior, but only rarely think of them as food (I haven't taken one since 1975, but I do eat ones my buddies take). When we stop thinking of other creatures in terms of their value to us, and consider their intrinsic value as co-residents on this Earth, I think we have reached a stage of enlightenment. I am by no means what one would call an animal rights activist... I think some of them are as looney as the ones who kill, kill, kill.

Bill, we stopped eating squid and Octopus after a few communications with them. I truely do agree that we are all co-inhabitants of the earth. I rarely express my full beliefs here. I also eat all of the lionfish I kill, it feels too wrong to kill one and leave him or feed him to another creature. But that is for me.

I think you're over thinking it. Sharks are different than our interactions in quarries. I just fed a smallmouth bass a crayfish today. It's hard to resist. The smallmouth bass follow us around all day. You can almost tough them. They act like fish when night diving in fresh water that seem to somewhat sleep on the dive platforms. It's really weird how close they let you get within inches of them.

I find the best responses form DrBill as usual. I have no trouble killing things for food for those I need to provide food for. We are part of the food chain after all. I do not however feel right about killing things for any other reason. Yes I think twice about stepping on a spider! I personally would not support taking a living thing to feed to another living thing without more justification than boredom or entertainment. I don't have the right to dictate what others do as long as it is within the law.:idk: Interesting discussion and I am glad you have got more people thinking about it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom