Feeling like a hypocrite...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Id LOVE to see THAT game of catch :p

There is a fellow who writes pieces about ethics for GUE's Quest magazine. I don't read most of them, to be honest . . . but a while back, he had an article that asked the question of whether it is ethical or moral to choose the animals we support or protect, based on how attractive or appealing they are to humans. I hadn't thought about that, but when the article forced me to reflect, I realized that I DO get more excited about protecting dolphins, or penguins, or spotted owls, than I do some kind of slug I haven't seen before.

We have a plastic turtle in our OW hot spring. I am always careful to inform my students while it may be OK to pass this plastic one around, it's not appropriate in the real world. ( There is also a plastic alligator, but I don't think they will play catch with a real one.:D )
What do you tell them about the lobster?

I agree with those that have said it doesn't matter what it was before, it is an eco system now.

I also agree with dumpsterdiver (now I'm scared)

When you dive, do you hope to see fish acting naturally or see them reacting to your actions?

There is a fellow who writes pieces about ethics for GUE's Quest magazine. I don't read most of them, to be honest . . . but a while back, he had an article that asked the question of whether it is ethical or moral to choose the animals we support or protect, based on how attractive or appealing they are to humans. I hadn't thought about that, but when the article forced me to reflect, I realized that I DO get more excited about protecting dolphins, or penguins, or spotted owls, than I do some kind of slug I haven't seen before.
And thats why people want to protect the not endangered dolphins, while the endangered sharks dont seem to be so important :(
Its also why hunting bambi is bad but breeding and mistreating cattle is fine..

In our local quarry one of the entrances is an old road bed we call the beach. Lots of minnows hang out right at the edge in very shallow water. As you come in from a dive the bass will sometimes follow you in. As you walk out of the water the minnows run from you. You hear the bass gulping up minnows behind you. Suppose I could try to climb the rock walls with tanks on rather than using the road bed.

Back to being serious, if lots of people do it and it is a small quarry it could impact on things. I know a quarry that forbids knives to protect their fresh water clams which filter the water.

Well, it's a lot better than the Cheez Whiz I've seen snorkelers feed our local fish in a marine reserve! You might be interested in the article I just posted in the Marine Life and Ecosystems forum called "DO Feed the Animals." I generally prefer folks NOT feed animals whether the food be natural or unnatural as it can affect which individuals survive and pass on their genes. However, I also realize that by doing night dives with bright video lights, I am offering assistance to a lot of hungry fish out hunting food that night.

Lynne poses a good question (as usual)... why is it we humans focus our protective efforts largely on so-called marquee species? It is human nature of course to want to protect what we love, but to do so often requires that we protect the other members of the ecosystem within which they function... including the yucky ones! When I was in the Philippines most divers were focusing their cameras on the marquee species like the beautiful nudibranchs. I spent most of my time filming the common species that actually had the greatest impact on ecosystem functioning.

Yeah, it's a tough subject. We kill bugs that enter out homes, figuring it's not THEIR place and we don't want them there. We set mouse traps. On the other hand, there was a time when our house wasn't there and it was ALL their place. We swat and spray mosquitoes, etc. SOME very few of us even collect shells! I guess it's the species' populations and what we do to really affect them that counts. I also guess that includes pretty much everything we do...

Back
Top Bottom