Feburary ABWA wetsuit dive date discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm always there :D

Michael - You should expound on what this event is for those who don't know.

b.

ps. You ain't getting me in a wetsuit :rofl3:

Ok, ENOUGH from you "Mr. 7.5 Minutes Away".....

Every year on the first weekend (Supposed to be the first.) of February, I try to organize a "dive" that consists of everyone doing their first dive in a wet suit. Then that Saturday night, Clay and his wife organize a "get to gather" that consists of food and socializing at their house. (She's a great cook and a lovely lady. Great people to be around.)

Well, I'll talk to Clay but, I figure if you don't go wet, you don't get food. :wink: :rofl3::rofl3:

Michael

Well, I'll talk to Clay but, I figure if you don't go wet, you don't get food. :wink: :rofl3::rofl3:

Michael
Food will not be witheld due to dryness. It is tradition to dive wet though. When we first started this, No one I knew had a dry suit.
How about if you dive dry you have to bring the keg. Just Kidding.

Its really all about getting together and having a good time. Maybe even a beer or 3. Or rum. Or Tequila, Etc. After diving.

we could not call it the 3RD ANNUAL FEB. ABWA DIVE now could we.

[snip]

I am also going to get some t-shirts made for this event so I need suggestion for that as well. I was thinking a diver in a wetsuit shivering would be a good start.

Wetsuit dive there in Feb.?

when you make the T-shirts, you should call the the "ABWA Shrinkage Festival"

Brrrrrr this sounds like something off of survivorman. Brock here is a chance for your lil girl to do another experiment of the effect of hypothermia from cold wetsuit divers. I'll pitch in and be your control diver that stays warm in the dry suit.

Either day on the weekends of the 13th-15th and 26th-28thh or good for me. Gotta work the others. If I miss it though, I'll enjoy the reads.

Kenny

Last edited:
I care not which weekend, as I will not be joining the dedicate few to freeze to death...

but Feb 14th is a day that some folks might have a conflict with.... just something to consider....

I could be bribed into making the dive in my bikini....only if it was a very, very short dive (5 min LOL) and if I had a really warm place to go to afterwards. Otherwise, I'll be wearing the thickest wet suit I own (a 7mm)...

In Alaska, we have this thing called the Polar Bear Plunge...I think it's held in Seward. In the dead of winter, people get all dressed up in costumes and they dive into the water! I guess this is kinda similar...only with warmer water :)

Whatever date y'all decide is good with me...I work M-F, so I have every Sat an Sun off...truthfully, Sun is always better than Sat, though...because I get off work at 7am on Saturday, and I'm just always dead tired when I finally drive home Saturday night after diving all day.

You mean to wear a t-shirt in the water instead of the 7mm? :shakehead:Now that would be cold!

What? you gotta dive at least once. That's what Denise did. One dive and then start hitting the bottle. :wink:

Michael

Define dive. :wink:

Food will not be witheld due to dryness. It is tradition to dive wet though. When we first started this, No one I knew had a dry suit.
How about if you dive dry you have to bring the keg. Just Kidding.

Its really all about getting together and having a good time. Maybe even a beer or 3. Or rum. Or Tequila, Etc. After diving.

I would say if you dive dry, you owe beer.

So far Brock is the smartest one by saying he would stay dry. I'm short behind, lol. I'll toss some warm bags of saline on the stove and even take it easy on everyone and use a small gauge cath. Lol.

On a serious note, I'll have a nice 80,000 BTU heater to provide some warmth. Only charging a buck a minute. Lol

Kenny

So far Brock is the smartest one by saying he would stay dry. I'm short behind, lol. I'll toss some warm bags of saline on the stove and even take it easy on everyone and use a small gauge cath. Lol.

On a serious note, I'll have a nice 80,000 BTU heater to provide some warmth. Only charging a buck a minute. Lol

Kenny

LOL! It was cold enough on Saturday that I contemplated asking Jed to come back to ABWA (he stopped by and visited me while he was working for Regional Paramedic Services) just so I could crawl in the back and get warm...ambulance heaters get really, really hot :) Warmed NS would have been nice at that point LOL....

Thankfully, Stephen at ABWA finally got the heater working...there was a large huddle of shivering, wet suit wearing, dive students surrounding it....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom