FEB 05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank O:
Hey! Nothing got donated to the sea deities, and no shin scrapes. I've had much dicier entries from these rocks ...

A recurrence of strobe problems ... DS-125 wasn't firing when level was controlled by manual controller. So I had to set it to full or 1/2 and then go from there. Did a few shots of tube worms. But my take on the results at best would have to be -- now where's that backscatter removal tool?
Ah, electronics immersed in salt water. Remember the old days when we could dive without batteries? :D

I'm not posting a "real" report, since I was doing rescue class rather than a regular dive. If anyone is thinking about Laguna, it's not as bad as it was. Shaw's was getting 3 ft. surf with occasional 5-footers. Surge was moderate. Viz was 8-10 ft.

Frank O:
Hey! Nothing got donated to the sea deities, and no shin scrapes. I've had much dicier entries from these rocks ...

A recurrence of strobe problems ... DS-125 wasn't firing when level was controlled by manual controller. So I had to set it to full or 1/2 and then go from there. Did a few shots of tube worms. But my take on the results at best would have to be -- now where's that backscatter removal tool?

Ugh, you took your camera off the rock entry? Got bigger cojones (or better insurance) than me :)

Chris

Claudette, I can not dive this coming Friday or Saturday, for I will be on a boat (early b-day present) and getting my nitrox certification. Perhaps the following Friday? The 25th??? Are you going to the Picnic in Laguna on Saturday (26th?)??? If so, I will see you there! You will be in my neighborhood!!! Grins...

Scot M:
I'm not posting a "real" report, since I was doing rescue class rather than a regular dive. If anyone is thinking about Laguna, it's not as bad as it was. Shaw's was getting 3 ft. surf with occasional 5-footers. Surge was moderate. Viz was 8-10 ft.

Scott,

That is good to hear about the viz, since I am 'supposed' to lead a night dive Monday night. I forgot that it is Valentines Day, so will see how many people, if any, show up!...or if the Rain sets in.

Date: February 13, 2005
Dive Location: Marineland, Pebble beach entry, reef SW of fishing point
Time: 0815
Bottom Time: 1:07
Max Depth: 45 fsw
Vis: 3 - 9 feet
Wave height: Lulls: flat. Sets: 3-4 feet of ugly
Temp at depth: cool
Surface Temp: cool
Tide information: about 2 hours past 1.1 low tide.
Comments:
Carlos and I staged a well-timed, between-the-sets entry off Pebble Beach at Marineland (Didn't realize this was to be a graded event, so no letters were assigned...just good to get on the correct side of those boulder-pounders.) Descended off the rocky fishing point into 3-5 foot vis. Heading 120 degrees to look for pinnacles and reef. Just about found the first one with my head....but it got better. It really did get better once we found the trail of rocks and stuck to them. Up close, with bright lights, life was beautiful: Nudibranchs (Spanish shawl, sea lemons, little orange dorids), octopus, giant feather duster worms, 3 colors of pink coryanactis anemones, a thick patch of 3-7 inch tall tube anemones (4+ anemones per sq.ft), thick golden gorgonia, garibaldi, giant keyhole limpets, 1 small lobster, scallops, brilliant red sponges, painted greenlings and the other usual fishy suspects. When the rocks stopped and the sand began, viz went to egregious and we spun a 180 for return.
BEST PARTS:
Horn Sharks: a slender two-footer snuggled into a sandy crevice, (fully exposed, only its snout was tucked under a little ledge,) and a bulgey big one (3.5 ft+) in full view tucked under a ledge. Seems they don't hide as deeply when the viz stinks?
Perfect textbook navigation and partner communication...it's so fun when it works! Lots of exploring, never lost each other, saw lots of cool stuff.
Riding the surge between the rocks...even when Tank met Rock concussively and surge decided to hold me there for a couple of cycles before I could wriggle out backwards. (It 'looked' like I could fit!!)
Walking out smoothly between some real thumper sets...whoa! Grade: G for grateful.
THX Surround-sound effect as the crash of the set-waves echoed off the cliffs.
Seeing so many friendly, happy diving folk in the parking lot and on the beach.
The sun was shining as we surfaced, which was very welcome as my feet were 67-minute popsicles until the ugg-boot/sunshine therapy session was completed.
Enjoyed our favorite UltimateViewStarbucks deco stop and called it a great day.
Thanks, Carlos, for a rewarding dive.

HBDiveGirl:
Up close, with bright lights, life was beautiful: Nudibranchs (Spanish shawl, sea lemons, little orange dorids), octopus, giant feather duster worms, 3 colors of pink coryanactis anemones, a thick patch of 3-7 inch tall tube anemones (4+ anemones per sq.ft), thick golden gorgonia, garibaldi, giant keyhole limpets, 1 small lobster, scallops, brilliant red sponges, painted greenlings and the other usual fishy suspects.
Come to think of it we did see at least 3/4 of that, so I can't say the life was too muted.

On Sunday I saw yellow and black bars go by in the particulate matter at one point, but didn't get a positive ID. Are treefish seen at Marineland?

Frank O:
Come to think of it we did see at least 3/4 of that, so I can't say the life was too muted.

On Sunday I saw yellow and black bars go by in the particulate matter at one point, but didn't get a positive ID. Are treefish seen at Marineland?

I've spotted Treefish around Marineland. I tend to see them more at the outer reef vs. along the reef coming from Longpoint. Christmas Tree Cove has alot of treefish, if you get the chance to dive there.

Sunday at Marineland was a photographer's dream. Look at these Blacksmiths...I think.

http://masstransitfilms.com/marinevis.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom