FEB 05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley:
Claudette
My apploigies. Brain dead after the dive. And yes it is a very fond association. But from before my wife of 30+ years.
No apology needed at all, Melvin! Thanks for writing a great report and being there to dive. "Colette" is a rare name, and I think it's lovely that it came back to you in that meditative post-dive state of mind. Just ignore all the 'charming' PHD's slinging barbs your way...they'll eventually appreciate the more important things in life. :satisfied (They are cute little puppies, though, aren't they??) Be nice, fellas!:05:

divebuddysean:
Speaking of names Melvin:

Who's Shawn, and who's Peter?
I have got to quite using spell check. I type whats I mean, and it changes it to other things, and I don't catch it before I copy it over. Yeah, I meant those intrepid PHD's .

Dive California:
Ana...what a kawinkydink...Claudette and I were diving Redondo Canyon yesterday...and I found a toy dolphin at about 70'... Do you think they (shark & dolpin) knew one another.... :eyebrow:

Glad you're back...

carlos

Hmmm :06: great question. Only way to know if they did is to reunit them and see....Hope to dive with you soon. :crafty:

Ana

Date: 2 - 9- 05
Dive Location: Redondo Canyon
Time: 7 pm
Bottom Time: 37
Max Depth: 86
Vis: 25+
Wave height: 1
Temp at depth: 57
Comments: Great dive. Buddied with greg, headed out, viz looked good. Dropped into about 30 feet, headed west to 80' then south. BIG torpedo ray, lots of the usuals, fringhead, juvie horn sharks, sculpins, lots of octos out. Viz was very very good, better than I expected, probably better than 25 (how much do you need at night?). Lots of trash from the recent runoff. But makes good habitat - octo peeking out of a Coors can :)

Coolies ChrisM!!! Hmmm...wonder what Redondo will be like this weekend. I might stop by to assist with a class. Depends on weather. Or, I may hang here in the OC. Decisions, decisions. I'm chomping at the bit to dive Redondo again at night. Are the squid basically gone now???

C' ya!

Hi Jan, I don't think the squid even came this year (or last). I still have yet to see (in three seasons) maxbottomtime's famous "squid soup" Ask max to post the pics, amazing

Be forewarned though, Redondo is a GREAT night dive and generally a CRUMMY day dive. THe trash hides the critters at night, during the day it's just trash

Chris

Date: February 10, 2005
Dive Location: Redondo Submarine Canyon
Time: 5PM
Bottom Time: 46 minutes
Max Depth: 82 fsw
Vis: 25-35 feet
Wave height: 2.75 inches, set waves: 10 inches
Temp at depth: 57
Surface Temp: too gorgeous to notice
Tide information: looked pretty low
Comments: All day long the weather whispered, "Rain's coming...the time to dive is now..." E-mails, cell calls, and just plain ol' esp got Scott R. and me to the Vet's parking lot for the cloud-obscured sunset over a satin-smooth ocean. We walked into a sea seemingly holding its breath before the coming storm. Descending exactly onto the edge of the canyon at 40 fsw, we looked back into the chalky blue shallows and forward into the clear black depths: Visibility in the canyon was an emphatic 25 to 30 feet. It was shift-change for the residents, with few animals out at first, but more appearing by the minute as we headed North at 80 feet. ChrisM's octopus had relocated from a Coors can to a Coca-cola can...sarcastic fringeheads were everywhere: in shells, bottles, and cans, under clumps of kelp, even under a black plastic bag. The bottom was alive with flatties from 1 inch to 1 foot. Moon snails, Astrea snails, and Kellets whelks cruised the mud, leaving straight trails in the twilight. A large sealion circled us 3 times, reflective eyes flashing off our lights. I watched as it shot for the surface, its black silhouette against an arching water-sky of translucent dusty-blue...we've all seen this dozens of times but still my breath catches at the beauty. Bottom-huggers: A foot-long pink California scorpion fish and a 4 inch roughback sculpin. Just a little low on air, we scaled the steep slope to wander the 40 foot contour line back South, then cruised over armored sand stars, crabs, and sparse sand dollar beds back to the beach. We resisted until the last possible psi moment, but finally slipped from water to air, enjoying the stillness and a reflective surface. It was a quiet twilight dive, so relaxing that Scott said he almost felt like he was sleeping and dreaming during certain moments. The gentle rain began as we left the parking lot.
It's always amazing down there, and sometimes we get to see it....

Diver_Jan:
Coolies ChrisM!!! Hmmm...wonder what Redondo will be like this weekend. I might stop by to assist with a class. Depends on weather. Or, I may hang here in the OC. Decisions, decisions. I'm chomping at the bit to dive Redondo again at night. Are the squid basically gone now???

C' ya!
Hi Jan, If the rain takes some breaks, I'm ready for Friday and/or Saturday night dives. (I'm happy to dive in a light rain, but I sort of wallow in self-pity if I have to change back into 'dry' clothes in a downpour...silly, it's all in my head.) Let's talk tomorrow and see how the weather's looking. I've seen exactly one squid on each of 4 night dives this season, and none at all on 4 other dives. Most of the egg patches are disintegrating now, but Carlos and I found several large fresh egg clutches last weekend at the extreme North end of the canyon, just south of the dredging pipe, at around 70-80 fsw. Missed seeing the clouds of actively mating squid we saw in December 2003...maybe next year. Many more octopus visible if you dive later at night, say, around 8:30 or 9:00 PM.
Happy decision making!
Claudette

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom