FEB 05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver_Jan:
Claudette,

Nice Report!!! Let me know next time you are going to night dive the Canyon and I will drive up from the OC to dive with you. I love night diving there. I keep trying to convince my OC dive buddies to give it a try!

Great meeting you in San Diego last weekend. I hope you will make the February mtg.

Hugs,
Love to have you drive up and dive with us, Jan! I'll post a thread next time we're going. Timing on this one was serendipitous, but usually we pick a particular time and I'll start a thread. We go about twice/month at night, Fri or Sat.
(It'll be OUR little secret until OC folk find out :wink: )
Claudette

Date: Feb 5th, 2005
Dive Location: MarineLand, Long Point Reef
Wave height: 2 feet
Tide information: Low tide 7:12PM, 1.8ft

dive #1:
Time: 9:15AM
Bottom Time: 47 min
Max Depth: 66 ft
Vis: 23-29 feet
steep thermocline at 60ft

Dive #2:
Time: 12:15PM
Bottom Time: 64 min
Max Depth: 56 ft
Vis: 15-22 feet, visocline at 52ft

Comments:

6 of us dove on the 1st dive (rossjc, aerodog, andy, headhunter, jim mccabbe, and myself); rossjc was my buddy

On the 2nd dive, it was myself, headhunter, jim, and pasley. Pasley and I buddied up.

In between dives we spotted 2 whales surfacing right where we were diving! I wish we saw them underwater...

vis was good on both dives, but much better on the 1st... on both dives we entered off large boulders near the point to the west, instead of the normal cove entry...we all put fins on before entering the water, waited for a wave to recede, and quickly kicked out on our tummys.. it worked pretty well - since I went first, it was fun watching everyone's slightly different technique!

Everyone made it in successfully, no washing machine incidents today! And eventually everyone turned their air on. Christian and Jim successfully used their depthfinder to measure visibility to the nearest inch. No more unsure vis with these guys!

species spotted include a 3ft lingcod I came face to face with, cabezon, several scorpionfish, a small sculpin, island kelpfish, a very large octopus, 3 sea lions, a diving cormorant at 60ft, lots of blacksmith, juvie sheephead, an enormous school of smelt (with diving pelicans following them), many spanish shawl, dozens of lemon nudibranchs, and my first Diaulula sandiegensis sighting (white nudi with 4 black spots). Lots of usual suspects.

Jim, thanks for bringing the goodie bag and gatorades...Josh, sorry you couldn't do a 2nd dive, we'll do it again soon...

A great day to dive at marineland! Rumor has it donald trump bought the property a few days ago....

Scott

Met up with about 16+ divers from SOCDC this morning at the Laguna Hills mall. Due to there were some new members to the group, we decided to split the group in half. Louis took one group with the newcomers to Shaw's, while I took the rest to Cress St. For some odd reason, I decided to park on Mountain, for that puts you right over the Lifegaurd tower. After gearing up and descending down the stairs, I see that was a very wise choice. It appears that what was once a sandy beach under the steps at Cress St is now gone and a very large reef is exposed creating 'entry' havor\c for would be divers.

Seven of us entered the water without any difficulty. Minimal waves, mostly ankle slappers at that with an occassional 1-2'. No swell to speak up. We all did a very long surface swim out to the third reef without any trouble. We dropped down right on top of the cave. Kurt and Steve immediately entered the cave in seach of bugs. Bugs were found, along with three large moreys! Lars, Chris, and I followed. John and Lance went their own direction. On the way out of the cave on the back side, two large octopuss were spotted sharing a crevice with more large bugs. We all 'popped' out of the cave and continued our dive in search of bugs and photo opportunities. We basically saw all of the usual suspects in addition of TWO very large Lingcod!!! (I bet they were looking for those Octopuss for they weren't blue like they usually are after they have eaten).

Water temp was a nice toasty 57 degrees Suunto; Max Depth: 47' for 70 minutes. Kurt and Steve had about 80 minutes (Just wait until I get my HP 100!). Viz: 8-20'

Not sure how the group faired at Shaw's. Kurt's gf kayaked up to Shaws and Cresent and reported back that she saw at least 30 divers between the two coves. Yikes!!!

The morning was followed up at the local burger joint for good food and dive talk. Bumped into a group of divers that I know from the LA area. Always good to see and talk to fellow divers from all areas.

I will not be diving locally tomorrow morning, for I will be on a boat with SOCDC to Catalina. I will report once I get home.

Monday is the *first monday* of the month, which means that we (SOCDC) will be diving Monday Night. If you would like to join us, meet at the Laguna Hills Mall between Macy's and Kings Fish House at 6:30pm.

HBDiveGirl:
Love to have you drive up and dive with us, Jan! I'll post a thread next time we're going. Timing on this one was serendipitous, but usually we pick a particular time and I'll start a thread. We go about twice/month at night, Fri or Sat.
(It'll be OUR little secret until OC folk find out :wink: )
Claudette
Claudette,

I met another diver today that was hanging with my LA friends. He lives in OC, but works in Hollywood. I mentioned to him about diving Redondo, he says he's IN! So when you post the thread, I will let him know. I do know too that http://www.reefseekers.com has free night diving and squid dives at Redondo usually on Wednesdays.

Looking forward in diving with you soon.

Diver_Jan:
Claudette,

I met another diver today that was hanging with my LA friends. He lives in OC, but works in Hollywood. I mentioned to him about diving Redondo, he says he's IN! So when you post the thread, I will let him know. I do know too that http://www.reefseekers.com has free night diving and squid dives at Redondo usually on Wednesdays.

Looking forward in diving with you soon.

FYI, all night diving at Redondo is free. Along with the rest of the california shore. Happy diving! - Scott

Date: February 5, 2005
Dive Location: Redondo Canyon
Time: 9 AM
Bottom Time:50 minutes
Max Depth: 82
Vis: 15 - 25 feet
Wave height: 1 foot
Temp at depth: 56
Surface Temp: 59
Comments: "Poacher" as in funny-looking 4 inch fish seen 'crawling' along the muddy cannyon bottom at 60fsw. It was thin, speckled brown lizard coloration with prominent white-ridge above eyes, two dorsal fins (one with a black spot), BIG pectoral fins (looked like a beige moth seen from above) and the first three rays of the pectoral fins were little prehensile-looking 'fingers' that the fish used to 'walk' around quickly on the bottom. Paul Humaan's book (pp. 132-135) says they have bony, armor-like plates, but I wasn't fast enough to check. Sat still in my light, but stayed just out of reach when I tried to touch it. Very interesting looking little fish!
We had hoped to introduce our new dive friend, Deborah, to mainland shore diving, but her HP hose had an emotional crisis and decided it just couldn't take the pressure anymore...(and we thought friends who carry extra HP hoses were going a little 'overboard'....we could have saved a dive this time...sigh.) So, with much waving and "parting is such sweet sorrow" protestations, Carlos and I were off to the Canyon...again!
Now for something completely different: Divers going North in the Canyon instead of South...wow. However, it turned out to be the best day-dive we've had here. The exhausted swimming crabs were hidden away sleeping it off, but there were many elbow and Dungeness crabs and spidery brown decorator crabs (2 inches across), many patches of fresh squid eggs amongst the tattered old decomposing patches, sarcastic fringeheads hunkered in Astrea shells, many fantail sole and other flatties, 99 empty-bottles-of-beer-on-the-mud and a free octopus in every one (nearly!), including a tiny octo that stuck it's eyes out at Carlos, squeezed out of the bottle like toothpaste-with-eyes, bunched it's arms tightly under itself and tip-toed across the mud!! (I kept imagining the tinkling of tiny piano keys as it flashed patterns and kept tip-toeing...) Sunlight kept things pretty light with good 20+ viz, even at 80fsw, so it was startling when the world Got Very DARK. Looking up, I thought we were under a 60 foot boat! But it was a HUGE school of little fish that blocked out the sun (da-da-dum!). Very cool. Rising out of the canyon, Carlos was ambushed by a playful little sealion that swooped under him, turned back and zoomed back at and around him. Stayed around us for several minutes as we followed the dredging pipe back to the beach. Some dense sand dollar beds added final pointillistic punctuation to a perfectly pleasant plunge....(couldn't have said that at the time cause my lips were a little chilly.)
And...lesson learned...we purchased spare HP hoses as we re-filled tanks.
Extra post-dive bonus: A little California Grey Whale very near shore at Ave E in Redondo Beach! Looked like about 14-18 feet long, lolling just outside the surf, spouting, showing flukes, then head, then pectorals. A group of common dolphin swooped in close, hung around, and then swam on. It went out and in couple of times, and a passer-by said it's been seen here for a few days. It was gone 30 minutes later, so perhaps it'll find it's way out and Northward. It was a beautiful sight.
(Hey, maybe that's what was stirring up the mud last night and ruining viz at the South end of the canyon!! I can dream, can't I??)
Thanks yet again, Carlos, for doing the nearly impossible: making diving even more fun!
Claudette

After a somewhat dry January (for diving anyway) this was a great dive with very nice vis. The entry off the point for the first dive was like getting into a swimming pool, since it was closer to high tide.

The second dive was closer to low tide, so you had to really watch for man eating urchins and ankle breaking rocks. :11:

Great day for a couple of dives!

Christian

Date: Feb 5th, 2005
dive #1:
Time: 8 ish
Bottom Time: um not sure
Max Depth: 94 ft
Vis: 5-15 feet
Buddy: Gary

Had an interesting dive at the pinnicles....

It felt good to get back in the water again.

Found a cute toy shark and a pair of kids goggles.

Ana

wrinkles:
Had an interesting dive ....

Found a cute toy shark ...

Ana...what a kawinkydink...Claudette and I were diving Redondo Canyon yesterday...and I found a toy dolphin at about 70'... Do you think they (shark & dolpin) knew one another.... :eyebrow:

Glad you're back...

carlos

Back
Top Bottom