FEB 05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank O:
Come to think of it we did see at least 3/4 of that, so I can't say the life was too muted.

On Sunday I saw yellow and black bars go by in the particulate matter at one point, but didn't get a positive ID. Are treefish seen at Marineland?

There are treefish and black-n-yellow rockfish at marineland, although I've usually only seen treefish in crevices; I've seen brightly-colored juvies sitting on walls. The black-n-yellow rockfish also like to hide but are out and about a little bit more.

Scott

scottfiji:
There are treefish and black-n-yellow rockfish at marineland, although I've usually only seen treefish in crevices; I've seen brightly-colored juvies sitting on walls. The black-n-yellow rockfish also like to hide but are out and about a little bit more.
Could be. Whatever this guy was, he was beating a hasty retreat.

Date: 2/15/2005
Dive Location: Veterans Park, Redondo Beach
Time: 7:30pm
Bottom Time: 39 min
Max Depth: 87'
Vis: 2' - 20'
Wave height: 2'-3' shore break
Temp at depth: 55

8 divers made it out for the weekly DiveVets night dive. Scottfiji and Mgmonk (Gannon) showed up a little later than the rest of the group due to work, but at least they made it.

Dropped down as a group of 4 with the plan to head West into the canyon. Vis was terrible at 20', but we came to dive. My buddy has one of those new high tech watch/computers that's air-intergrated and has a digital compass. Since he was designated to lead, we all hovered patiently as we watched him spin around a bit. I quickly knew the compass wasn't functioning correctly when he started to lead us East, back to shore. We regrouped and I took over navagation with my trusty traditional compass.

Vis did not break until we got down into the canyon at around 70'. After that it opened up and we had a great dive. Lots of Budwiser cans all over the bottom along with small horn sharks, octopus, perch, cusk eels and other creatures. We made our way back up the canyon as we headed South and turned around as we hit the 30's with less than 10' vis.

The trip North was in 5-10' vis but it was fun to come up on little critters without notice. We bumped into one lone squid along the way, who stuck around to play with the light for a few minutes. As we headed back to shore, one diver in our group bumped into a legal lobster in 15' with about 2' vis. Lobster are very uncommon in the sandy shallows of Vets Park. I've only seen 5 in the last year or so. He was happy since bug season is coming to an end next month.

Great dive considering the conditions. Probably the last beach dive this week thanks to the rain forcast.

Date :2/15/05
Location: Cardiff, North side of river outlet in front of campground.
Time: 9:30 PM
Bottom Time: 42 minutes
Max Depth: 32
Vis: 4-8 (maybe 10 in spots)
Waves: 3-4 foot sets
Temp: 59 by my citizen watch (really means 57 or so)
Tide: Tide was still high and not changing (high tide was 4:30)

Comments: Vis was less than we hoped for and the surge was very strong at times. There is nothing like holding a lobster for your buddy to measure while being tossed around in 2 foot vis upside in the surge....What a blast! There were a ton of small lobster, grabbed about twenty and kept only 2. Saw a few small halibut 3 dungeness crabs (no measuring device or I might have took one).
That site would be awesome with good vis and small waves, the rock structures provide lots of small cave and there is allot of eel grass. Also good amount of kelp in the area.
All in all, a fun lobster dive.

Rich

Date :2/16/05
Time: 6:30 PM
Bottom Time: 22 minutes
Max Depth: 20ft
Vis: 3-5ft
Waves: 3-4 ft sets
Temp: 59
Tide: Close to low tide

Comments: This spot has a wicked shore break, steap angle to the beach. Got to know what you are doing here. Vis was less than we hoped for and the surge was very strong at times (10ft back and forth). My buddy Jeff (aka Frenchy) was hunting for bugs. I got one, but I think it bit me so I let it go. It was very difficult to follow him as the viz was so bad and he was using my C4. Not much light there, in fact, I had to cover my light to see where he was. Saw some fish, a Scalpin, some rock fish and that was about it. The exit is pretty dangerous. Do what you can to avoid a faceplant onto the beach. The site would be awesome with good vis and small waves. The rock structures provide lots of small caves and there is allot of eel grass.

Roy (thanks Rich for posting your report, lots of similarity that I could copy.....)

"PHD": The degree that keeps on giving! Man, you guys are some kind of tough...hoods off to ya'.
Could we order up something a little gentler for Heisler on the 26th?
Thanks for the picturesque post...good visuals.

ShakaZulu:

Comments: This spot has a wicked shore break, steap angle to the beach. Got to know what you are doing here. Vis was less than we hoped for and the surge was very strong at times (10ft back and forth). My buddy Jeff (aka Frenchy) was hunting for bugs. I got one, but I think it bit me so I let it go. It was very difficult to follow him as the viz was so bad and he was using my C4. Not much light there, in fact, I had to cover my light to see where he was. Saw some fish, a Scalpin, some rock fish and that was about it. The exit is pretty dangerous. Do what you can to avoid a faceplant onto the beach. The site would be awesome with good vis and small waves. The rock structures provide lots of small caves and there is allot of eel grass.

Roy (thanks Rich for posting your report, lots of similarity that I could copy.....)

ShakaZulu:

worry wart! it was fricken easy maybee a 1.5 ft shore break that you had to time...

Also On roys report, we didn't got to bird rock, it was actually Big Rock Reef

Well, due to the rain, Steve Schirmer and I decided to dive Deadman's instead hoping for better viz than Woods. We were greeted by a light rain, then it subsided as we geared up. Waves were 2-4', however, far and few between making it a fairly easy entry. Steve noticed a 'rip tide' so we entered further west (closer to the reef) than we usually do. Swells were moderate. Due to the 'Rip Tide' it seemed like it took us forever to get out to the drop down point. We actually went past (south) of the drop down point putting us off course a tad. Once reaching the bottom, the viz opened up across the sand. Probably 10+. Spotted a couple of stingrays, calico sea bass, bait fish along the way. After swimming a long time across the sand we finally hit Deadman's in the middle of the reef at about 50' fsw. Viz decreased immensely to about 8' if that. Saw quite a few large bugs, some small ones too. Steve has a keen eye for finding eels. Saw about three tonight, one of the largest we have seen to date. One fellow was about 12" in circumference. Length had to have been a good 5' or better. Lot of blacksmith out and about, along with giribaldi's, greenlings, scorpion fish, chestnut cowries, and black eyed goby's. Speaking of black eyed goby's, I spotted one resting inside of a scallop. Too cute. hmmmm... checking the temp on my Sunnto, it states 73 degrees F. IS that possible??? I know it was sure chilly at the surface! All in all, a nice dive. Beautiful night with the sky scattered with clouds and occasional light rain. Hopefully the rain will go away so we can continue diving for the weekend!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom