Feature Request: Shearwater dive computer time offset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
With daylight savings coming soon, and dive travel picking up again now that covid seems to be an acceptable risk, I'd really like to see a "time offset" field added in settings. With this, I could either keep my Shearwater computers on local standard time and use the time offset (e.g., -1 hour) as a DST flag. Or keep my Shearwaters on GMT and use the time offset as a time zone offset, so when I cross the date line, all I'd have to change is the time zone offset, instead of also updating the day on my outgoing and return trips. Just like the way some many regular computers do.

Or would be really nice if the Shearwater App just auto updated the time and date when you connect to it.

This way all you do is a quick bluetooth connect and it just auto updates everything for you based on your phones current location time zone and date.
Probably a more efficient way.

I normally forget about the date on Day 1 when downloading to my Mac or filling my logbook on trips, and sometimes I don't download until I'm back home.

GPS time would solve this issue.

I can't see SW spending any time and energy on this when it's so piss easy to change the time anyway lol
Realistically, how often would you even have to do it? Twice per trip, when you get there then back when you go home? Changing your offset feature would take as long as changing the time anyway, maybe longer because you need to work out what actual time zone you're in first. No offence but the more I think about it the sillier it sounds, each to their own though mate so good luck to you :happywave:

I don’t even bother to change the time for DST. It is really so important if it’s just an hour?
Some people it is important. Usually have no un-opened emails either! haha. OR you can go the other way and dive for 40 years and not log anything. :p Just wasn't important to me or my Dad, who started me. He learned in the Navy.

Or would be really nice if the Shearwater App just auto updated the time and date when you connect to it.

This way all you do is a quick bluetooth connect and it just auto updates everything for you based on your phones current location time zone and date.
that would be the nicest thing, it's an easy couple lines of code to sort out

Some people it is important. Usually have no un-opened emails either! haha. OR you can go the other way and dive for 40 years and not log anything. :p Just wasn't important to me or my Dad, who started me. He learned in the Navy.

I keep a clean email inbox but I don’t bother with logging anymore since I went tech. Just not important. I’ve got transmitters and everything’s on the computer log if I want to look at something.

I think the Teric already does this??? I didn't have to set my time, I just connected to bluetooth and it was sorted...

I think the Teric already does this??? I didn't have to set my time, I just connected to bluetooth and it was sorted...
Yup - if the option is checked in settings in the SW Cloud app, my Teric and Perdix AI will both sync to the time and date on my iPhone when I connect to them via Bluetooth - couldn’t be easier! You can also turn DST on/off in settings on the Teric itself (not the Perdix AI).

Attachments

• F2781FD7-6C2D-4E14-AA37-BAFACE246DEF.jpeg
    F2781FD7-6C2D-4E14-AA37-BAFACE246DEF.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 46

Back
Top Bottom