Feature request for rebreather HUD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, In interests of full disclosure, I am taking my “cave-CCR” cross over training this weekend, so I can only tell you what I have been doing. And yes, I have uses a “3rds” rule as a safe turn point, but I think that has been very conservative considering i have LP hoses on both bailout bottled and could switch to off board dil, if it really came down to it.

I will say that my Dil consumption had improved greatly, but I do try to do a quick check every 10-15m just to make sure my brain is still working. FWIW..know a CCR diver that blew through his DIL in the Peacock system, just half way through the planned dive. I didn’t really pry into root cause, as proper bail out and turning the dive allowed for a safe exit. I am certainly not the most experienced CCR diver, so I still try to err on being overly conservative.
At some point you are just going to need to offboard your dil. Its possible (but very marginal) to round-trip to the champagne bottle in hole in the wall (just an example) on 4L of dil. But thirds? No not really. Way back 7,000+ft into Manatee on a scooter? No way is any plausible little 2 or 3L onboard dil going to work (unless its lp50s like in GUE's JJ rigging).

I offboard the dil for my Meg from the left SM tank. The left onboard "dil" bottle is suit gas (lots and lots of suit gas - enough to cover a long exit with a failed wing). I can plug in the right hand SM bottle in case the left fails or is empty. Doing a BO exit because you smoked through 3L of dil on the traverse in peacock is a sign that someone needs to reconfigure themselves for more ups and downs. While that dive could be done with judicious use of dil including possibly using 32% as dil to help moderate the inject/dump cycles, its better to just have a ton available to handle planned and unplanned use.

There's all sorts of stuff wrong with what happened at Blue Grotto. If I remember correctly, she's still teaching. What a charlie foxtrot. Just like the IANTD dudes in Italy and that dude in Mexico that pulled the hardware from the cave before telling everyone he lost his buddy/former student.

Does it come on automatically in dive mode? Or is there a separate control?

Comes on automatically and is a test question in the pre dive build checklist in the system tools.

At some point you are just going to need to offboard your dil. Its possible (but very marginal) to round-trip to the champagne bottle in hole in the wall (just an example) on 4L of dil. But thirds? No not really. Way back 7,000+ft into Manatee on a scooter? No way is any plausible little 2 or 3L onboard dil going to work (unless its lp50s like in GUE's JJ rigging).

I offboard the dil for my Meg from the left SM tank. The left onboard "dil" bottle is suit gas (lots and lots of suit gas - enough to cover a long exit with a failed wing). I can plug in the right hand SM bottle in case the left fails or is empty. Doing a BO exit because you smoked through 3L of dil on the traverse in peacock is a sign that someone needs to reconfigure themselves for more ups and downs. While that dive could be done with judicious use of dil including possibly using 32% as dil to help moderate the inject/dump cycles, its better to just have a ton available to handle planned and unplanned use.

I do EOL at manatee on 3liters of Dil.

The only time I'm not using my on board bottle for Dil is when I'm diving deep because I'm plugged into mixed gas and want air to flush the helium early on the way back. So, I might have 10/70 in my sidemount bottles and air in my 3liter bittles. When I start heading back, like at eagles nest around 170', I'll plug the air back in.

Dil is makeup gas to get you to the bottom. Then, you're mostly consuming oxygen. You could unplug your Dil if you were diving a square profile.

Manatee is pretty saw toothed, but the loop changes are really temporary. 3 seconds later and you're right back to 80'. I typically don't even bother unless it's the extreme change from 80 to 26 to 80 spot in the cave.

I've done EOL at manatee half a dozen times, always with onboard Dil. I'm not saying it's better or worse, just the way I do it.

FYI, with the optima, I can dive all week on a single fill of 4liters.

Can't do that on the liberty since the bottles are smaller and the CL bigger.

There's all sorts of stuff wrong with what happened at Blue Grotto. If I remember correctly, she's still teaching. What a charlie foxtrot. Just like the IANTD dudes in Italy and that dude in Mexico that pulled the hardware from the cave before telling everyone he lost his buddy/former student.

You're right, I had a quick look at the IART webpage for Salome Wiedmer's qualifications and it returned information:
Instructor Salome Wiedmer can perform the following courses:

offers courses for
CCR_Vision_Level_I_Nitrox
CCR_Vision_Level_II_Deco
CCR_Vision_Level_II_normoxic_Trimix
CCR_Vision_Level_III_Trimix
CCR_Evo_Level_I_Nitrox
CCR_Evo_Level_II_Deco
CCR_Evo_Level_II_normoxic_Trimix
CCR_Evo_Level_III_Trimix
CCR_JJ_CCR_Level_I_Nitrox
CCR_JJ_CCR_Level_II_Deco
CCR_JJ_CCR_Level_II_normoxic_Trimix
OC_Extended Range normoxic Trimix
OC_Advanced Trimix
Gasblender
OC_Cavern Level I
OC_Introduce Cave Level II
OC_Full Cave Level III
Cave_Rebreather Level I Cavern
Cave_Rebreather Level II Introduce Cave
Cave_Rebreather Level III Full Cave
OC_Open Water Nitrox Diver
OC_Advanced Open Water Nitrox Diver
Nitrox Diver
CCR_Hollis_Prism2_Level_I_Nitrox
CCR_Hollis_Prism2_Level_II_normoxic_trimix
CCR_Hollis_Prism2_Level_III_Trimix
Diver Propulsion Vehicles (DPV)
eSCR_Hollis_Explorer_Basic
eSCR_Hollis_Explorer_Level_I_Nitrox
OC_Decompression Diver

JJ no longer lists Salome as an approved instructor (any questions why?).
As far as I know, I don't believe that Salome has reentered the USA after making a statement to the police in Levy county back in Apr.2015.
Her webpage lists that she was still teaching as of September 2017.
Since I'll be at the anuual tec event at Lake Thun on 16 March, I'll try and find out what she is currently doing.
Michael

Some of the requirements for a CCR to be rated as a "Recreational" CCR (or "Type-R" in PADI speak) is that the unit have a wet-switch system to turn it on in event of submersion with the unit off (dude falls off a boat etc) and that there be a mechanism to signal a buddy of an alarm situation.

I do EOL at manatee on 3liters of Dil.
If your CLs are big enough and/or you don't run min loop volume then sure. But to the champagne bottle on <200L? That ain't happening. And for sure not in the 10,000ft of new stuff

Rjack, when do you want to go?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom