Fear of the number?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasherry

Contributor
Reaction score
How do you get past the fear of the depth number? When someone says I went to 90 feet... Or the planned depth is 80 ft... It makes me get scared, nervous. I seem to be very aware of additional dangers that could occur that may not be so bad if they were to occur at 30 or 40 ft. This has been one of my fears since I started diving and I need to get past it. Of the people we dive with I seem to be the only one with this irrational fear.

One thing I was thinking of is maybe on land, outside in the yard maybe marking down different distances so I can visualy see how far 40 ft really is. I think in my head it seems like more than it really is?

I am also planning on taking a CPR course and probably 1 or more of the following continuing education classes.... Deep Diving, Navigation, Night & Limited Visibility Diving,

Never exceed your comfort level - no matter what. You didn't say how long you've been diving but you'll probably find that experience will ease your fears. Getting the training is a great idea, too.

In the meantime, listen to that little voice when it tells you something is a bad idea. Almost all the accidents in scuba come from people who don't.

I think with practice and experience the number will be less important. Your additional training will introduce you to different depths and you'll see that you have to do the same things no matter where you are: you still need to be a good buddy, control your buoyancy, monitor your air supply etc. A good dive plan including air management are essential and you'll really get to apply those things that you know already!

It can be a little daunting, but you'll have a great time and you'll get comfortable as you get experience...remember, getting in the shalllow end of the pool the first time was a bit weird, too!

I would make sure you are confident in the shallower depths and with all of your dive skills (and yes, I mean ALL) before adding more things to think about. Dive as much as you can - even it is only in a pool to keep your skills fresh.

Have fun!

At what depth does this come into play?

A dear friend of mine had a similar problem. We dived with her down to her personal limit several times, then started to exceed that depth by a few feet until she was comfortable there. It was a gradual expansion of her comfort depth. You are in no hurry. Go slowly. If you get uneasy, back off. You'll get there.

scubasherry:
How do you get past the fear of the depth number? When someone says I went to 90 feet... Or the planned depth is 80 ft... It makes me get scared, nervous. I seem to be very aware of additional dangers that could occur that may not be so bad if they were to occur at 30 or 40 ft. This has been one of my fears since I started diving and I need to get past it. Of the people we dive with I seem to be the only one with this irrational fear.

I had a time where I was definitely apprehensive about 90 feet. Those feelings are well-founded because the gas supply and deco clocks run much faster down at that depth, you're starting to get to depths where CESA isn't so much of an option, and there's that much less margin for mistakes in gas management and such.

Plus at 90 feet you start to deal with narcosis, and particularly if you're in cold water you can get a definite paranoid narc at that depth or deeper. I used to notice that I'd get really apprehensive and twitchy about things going wrong when I was actually at 90 feet which was just free-floating anxiety caused by the narcosis -- once I ascended to 70 feet it all cleared up. That can result in apprehension and fear before a dive to a planned depth of 90 feet because you can come to associate that with apprehension and fear when you're at depth. It helps to try to realize when its just the N2 talking...

And beyond that, more training and more experience, keeping your deep dives shorter and don't push your limits too hard. I found that taking a DIRF course really helped out a lot, and in general I'd suggest approaching deeper recreational dives as technical dives and getting some training from tech divers.

Walter:

A dear friend of mine had a similar problem. We dived with her down to her personal limit several times, then started to exceed that depth by a few feet until she was comfortable there. It was a gradual expansion of her comfort depth. You are in no hurry. Go slowly. If you get uneasy, back off. You'll get there.

Solid advice, Walter. :)

Walter:

Usually anything more than 50 throws me. I have dove deeper than 50 but only twice.
What I am finding difficult is going on vacation (tropical) and diving.... what this means out on a boat with a mixed range of divers who are usually ok with everything. I know I can stay above everyone at my comfort zone with my buddy but I just have to get past the bad feeling that comes in my gut when planning a dive that is deeper.

Right now I have the summer to practice here in Michigan. I plan on trying to dive at least a couple times a month durning the summer in local lakes.

reefraff:
Never exceed your comfort level - no matter what. You didn't say how long you've been diving but you'll probably find that experience will ease your fears. Getting the training is a great idea, too.

In the meantime, listen to that little voice when it tells you something is a bad idea. Almost all the accidents in scuba come from people who don't.

I was certified last year Laborday weekend.

I do listen to that voice... sometimes I think I am TOO in tune with it. Maybe I need to tell it to stuff a sock in its mouth once in awhile. I have called several dives for myself which is frustrating.

lamont:
I found that taking a DIRF course really helped out a lot, and in general I'd suggest approaching deeper recreational dives as technical dives and getting some training from tech divers.
What is a DIRF course?

scubasherry:
What is a DIRF course?

DIR "Fundamentals". It teaches you what you didn't learn in OW courses. Basically teaches you to get your gear straightened out, streamlined, nice horizontal trim, nice controlled ascents, good buddy skills etc. etc. Not that you can't learn this stuff outside of DIR. If you post in the DIR Forum someone should come along that's a DIR diver and answer in more detail. DIR means "doing it right".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom