Fear of Narcosis!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My deep dive test is to throw a couple very quick math problems at them with my fingers. Then I tie off a line and we go from the 90 ft platform to a ridge at 100 ft. It's close to 30 yds out. Then I hand them the reel and have them bring us back in, untie the reel, and hand it to me. We then head for the ascent line up to a 50 ft platform. Somewhere between handing the reel to me and starting our ascent I pull an OOA. I've already task loaded them with the reel and now an OOA. Gives me a very good idea as to how narced they are. We then air share up the line to the 50 where we retrieve the stage bottles, deploy them, and finish the dive using simulated deco stops.

My deep dive test is to throw a couple very quick math problems at them with my fingers. Then I tie off a line and we go from the 90 ft platform to a ridge at 100 ft. It's close to 30 yds out. Then I hand them the reel and have them bring us back in, untie the reel, and hand it to me. We then head for the ascent line up to a 50 ft platform. Somewhere between handing the reel to me and starting our ascent I pull an OOA. I've already task loaded them with the reel and now an OOA. Gives me a very good idea as to how narced they are. We then air share up the line to the 50 where we retrieve the stage bottles, deploy them, and finish the dive using simulated deco stops.
Will it show how narked they are or will it just show they are a person not good at dealing with being task loaded?

Will it show how narked they are or will it just show they are a person not good at dealing with being task loaded?

I agree. I think it is very difficult to tell how narced a person is unless they are your regular dive buddy and you know their dive habits/skills/tendencies inside and out. Then you may be able to pick up on some small changes but I'm not 100% sure about that. Now if a person is off in la-la land then it's probably pretty obvious.

I think it's especially tough to tell with students. They are already in an environment they are not familiar with. How can anyone be sure their actions are due to narcosis and not just being nervous which would be normal anyway, especially if they are given several things to deal with at one time.

I think judging narcosis in anyone is really just a "best guess". Probably the best way to tell in any individual is to take a chamber ride in one of DAN's research projects.

Avoid depth, if something or someone is giving you grief topside
if you are suffering Delirium tremens
if you have had a session at Alice's Restaurant
and are predisposed towards anxiety or paranoia
or if paying for the dive precludes you from paying for something else

I just had a revelation. If you suck the nitrous out of a can of whipped cream you get a taste of what it's like to be narced . . . and you understand what Knowone is saying. :rofl3:

I was tempted to post this earlier but diddn't want to sound like a jerk.
I did the deep dive for my AAW down to 110 feet on saturday. In the predive I discussed with my instructor that it would be "nice" if I could experience being narked so the dive was set to do just that. I removed/replaced my mask . swapped from main to alternate second stage and partially removed and replaced my BC. Not a darn thing.
Im glad to see that I might have been a bit narked and just diddn't notice.

Narcosis is a funny "beast" and effect people in diff ways. I am also a believer that mindset also effects narcosis. If you "know" you are going to narc you most probably will. That said, at some point at depth you will start to narc in some shape or form.

There are obvious ways to get around narcosis like using other gasses (nitrox if you narc in shallow(read 100ft) water, or trimix for deeper dives). The more regular you dive deep the less the effects will be, up to a point. I try and do build-up dives, each going deeper if I have not dived deep for a while. Cold and low vis also play a role.

I would suggest doing a deep air or recreational trimix courses if you plan on doing more regular deep dives and need a better understanding of narcosis.

Safe Diving!!

Both actually. They have already been pretty heavily task loaded on the Advanced Skills, UW Nav, and Night/Low Vis dives. So much so that if I don't feel they could handle the task loading for the deep dive the course would be suspended or that dive postponed until they show me they could handle it. You have to remember the AOW course I teach - I wrote it. It is not a taste or a tour of advanced dives. It can also be failed.

Narcosis is awesome. In the right doses, of course. don't let people intimidate you! Yes, you will experience narcosis, but it's nothing like you might imagine. Most importantly, you will have a chance to gradually experience this phenomenon. It's so subtle that most new divers - in my experience - don't even notice it until you start asking them and really prod them to start paying attention to it. Don't worry, it's all manageable and while narcosis demands a healthy dose of respect, it's nothing that should keep you from diving.

Hi there

I asked myself the same question after my first deepdive where I did a swimthrough in the end (which is one I don't do anymore because it's just too small for me when I think about it again ;-))

So don't worry because this is one of the reasons why you are going down there with an instructor who is trained for situations like that. If you don't feel comfortable with the situation you can always "tell" your instructor and you will find a solution. Sometimes you also have to get used to the depth. Most of the time I'm down there again for the first time after a long break I get to feel it again. But don't worry and just enjoy it. Take a reef or a rope as a reference and focus on your breathing... that's it ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom