fear of losing mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NERD2 is available though, and there's at least one see-through HUD computer in the making.

NERD2 is available though, and there's at least one see-through HUD computer in the making.

So is the NERD2 only for rebreather? I'll be crossing my fingers for another HUD in the making. If I recall, mine was about $1,000. Here's to hoping. :)

So is the NERD2 only for rebreather? I'll be crossing my fingers for another HUD in the making. If I recall, mine was about $1,000. Here's to hoping. :)

The one in the making is a) no WAI and b) unproven tech, early adoption, etc. NERD2 is not only for rebreathers: OC tech/rec, WAI, compass, all for mere $1.5K.

The one in the making is a) no WAI and b) unproven tech, early adoption, etc. NERD2 is not only for rebreathers: OC tech/rec, WAI, compass, all for mere $1.5K.

Ok. Just watched a video. Expensive!

I am a newly certified diver, done two ocean dives. I go through hypothetical scenarios in my head with things that can go wrong and see myself working through it using what I have learned and hopefully will remember if and when the real life problem occurs.

The one scenario I cannot work through is losing my mask. Done a lot of pool work without a mask and I handled it well. But a pool is a controlled, familiar environment. Open water is a completely different unforgiving environment. Carrying an extra mask and wearing a hood are both good ways to be prepared and would reduce the anxiety. I also thought of tethering the mask to my octopus necklace or BC. Also wonder how a mask behaves off the face and if there is adequate time to reach out and grab it before it sinks. Good exercise for the pool.

When I first trained, I was dreading removing my mask. I was really scared that the water would sting my eyes like crazy. Once I did it, I realised it was fine and I became far more relaxed about it. Sea-water stings far *far* less than the pool, as there's no chlorine, and it's a very rare thing to actually loose your mask. Also get your buddy/instructor to take a few minutes at the start of an OW dive to practice clearing and removing. Once you've done it a few times and managed fine without it, you'll feel more at ease :)

You'll be fine!

That said, if you want to carry a spare mask with you in order to feel comfortable, get a small cheap one and tuck it in your BCD pocket - doesn't do any harm, and if it lets you relax and enjoy the ocean, then I'd call that a win. Later on, once you feel more confident, you can always drop it from you kit and just keep it as a spare.

Probably all of the lost masks I've seen happened going through the surf or while doing a giant step off a boat while holding onto too much stuff :wink:

I didn't read the entire thread but didn't they have you swim without a mask in the ocean on your original dive course? Things are blurry, sure, but it's not like you are blind. I suppose the salt water might bother some people's eyes and reading your instruments might be a bit difficult :wink:

Probably all of the lost masks I've seen happened going through the surf or while doing a giant step off a boat while holding onto too much stuff :wink:

I didn't read the entire thread but didn't they have you swim without a mask in the ocean on your original dive course? Things are blurry, sure, but it's not like you are blind. I suppose the salt water might bother some people's eyes and reading your instruments might be a bit difficult :wink:
I'm a bit fuzzy on how this skill was done as it's been a while. I don't believe any of the instructors had students do no mask swim in the ocean (could be wrong). At the pool the instructors always held onto the student when they did the no mask swim. Not sure if they were told they could close eyes or not--think their eyes were open.

I'm a bit fuzzy on how this skill was done as it's been a while. I don't believe any of the instructors had students do no mask swim in the ocean (could be wrong). At the pool the instructors always held onto the student when they did the no mask swim. Not sure if they were told they could close eyes or not--think their eyes were open.

This is from another SB thread

PADI confined and open water skills list

"from the 2012 PADI Instructor Manual of the performance requirements for each CW dive:

Dive 4 Performance Requirements
Underwater:
1. Swim without a mask for at least 15 metres/50 feet, then replace and clear the mask."

When my girlfriend took her PADI OW course a couple of years ago the instructor only had her remove her mask while underwater, in the ocean, and replace it. While we were diving at Playa del Carmen a few years ago a woman who was on her final check-out dive was required to swim a ways (20-30 feet perhaps) without her mask so perhaps this particular skill is up to the individual instructor. I didn't know that my girlfriend didn't actually swim without a mask until I asked her a few minutes ago. The above quote says "CW" so presumably it could be a pool, but 50 feet would be a rather large pool unless you turn around.

This is from the same thread, but is noticeably different:

"Dive 4
Underwater:
5. Five point descent - no visual reference (no deeper than 18 metres/60 feet).
6. Hover using buoyancy control, without kicking or sculling.
7. Remove, replace and clear the mask.
8. Five point ascent"

I suppose removing and replacing the mask could be done with the eyes closed as long as you don't need to turn around in a pool :wink:

This is from another SB thread

PADI confined and open water skills list

"from the 2012 PADI Instructor Manual of the performance requirements for each CW dive:

Dive 4 Performance Requirements
Underwater:
1. Swim without a mask for at least 15 metres/50 feet, then replace and clear the mask."

When my girlfriend took her PADI OW course a couple of years ago the instructor only had her remove her mask while underwater, in the ocean, and replace it. While we were diving at Playa del Carmen a few years ago a woman who was on her final check-out dive was required to swim a ways (20-30 feet perhaps) without her mask so perhaps this particular skill is up to the individual instructor. I didn't know that my girlfriend didn't actually swim without a mask until I asked her a few minutes ago. The above quote says "CW" so presumably it could be a pool, but 50 feet would be a rather large pool unless you turn around.

This is from the same thread, but is noticeably different:

"Dive 4
Underwater:
5. Five point descent - no visual reference (no deeper than 18 metres/60 feet).
6. Hover using buoyancy control, without kicking or sculling.
7. Remove, replace and clear the mask.
8. Five point ascent"

I suppose removing and replacing the mask could be done with the eyes closed as long as you don't need to turn around in a pool :wink:
Based on the standards you quote, I would figure an instructor holding onto a student would not qualify as "swimming".
I know I wouldn't want to swim 50' in chlorine eyes open. Would actually like doing it in salt water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom