fear of losing mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

echopkb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a newly certified diver, done two ocean dives. I go through hypothetical scenarios in my head with things that can go wrong and see myself working through it using what I have learned and hopefully will remember if and when the real life problem occurs.

The one scenario I cannot work through is losing my mask. Done a lot of pool work without a mask and I handled it well. But a pool is a controlled, familiar environment. Open water is a completely different unforgiving environment. Carrying an extra mask and wearing a hood are both good ways to be prepared and would reduce the anxiety. I also thought of tethering the mask to my octopus necklace or BC. Also wonder how a mask behaves off the face and if there is adequate time to reach out and grab it before it sinks. Good exercise for the pool.

Most people will tell you they have hundreds of dives per even slightly dislodged mask. About as likely as experiencing a flat tire while in motion - it happens, but not very often. Even when it does happen, people are almost always just fine. Don't drive or dive as far at the edge of the envelope as an F1 driver, and you will be fine. It's great that you have practiced being, maybe even swimming a while without a mask; do this until it's not a big deal to you. If you want to cover this base well, carry a spare mask and practise getting it out, orienting it properly and putting it on so that it does not leak. Don't tether the mask to yourself, you want to keep your setup simple and uncluttered.

I've been diving since 1992, and the only lost masks I've seen were dropped while doing floating surface intervals - but it's possible. It's very rare, but an inadvertent kick or other minor collision can knock off your mask or a strap could break. You should always have a buddy close at hand to assist you, such as grabbing your mask. If it happened to me, I'd calmly pull my spare (which I carry) out of my BCD pocket, put it on, clear it, and evaluate the situation - if I could retrieve my mask, my buddy grabbed it, the DM can get it, or if I should just forget about it. Worst case, your buddy helps you slowly surface and you deal with it on the surface. It should never be a big deal worth your stress or worry.

I've thought about it too. Perhaps there would be time to grab it while still on your face, hold it there and clear it to ascend. It could be kicked off, but that's probably rare too.
I figure if a strap breaks for some reason (I've had that happen a number of times, but always before the dive on the shore), it is unlikely the mask will shoot off your face quickly. If you're close to the bottom in decent viz, I would think you could locate it there--how is your eyesight? glasses, contacts? You can see to some degree underwater without a mask.
Buddy is of course the ideal option, assuming you have one and the buddy is not far away. I know some divers carry a spare mask on the dive just in case. I haven't given it too much thought and keep my spare mask on shore.

Most of the masks that I have seen lost were dropped while boarding the boat. That is why I never take anything off (except fins), nor remove my regulator, until I am sitting down on the boat. I have had my mask swept off my face twice on the same dive while completely flagged during an ascent from the Spiegel Grove. The boat captain warned us the current was strong and that if we let go of the line we would be swept to Cuba before they could find us. Fortunately, I was able to catch the mask and put it back on with one hand while holding on to the mooring line with the other hand.

If you take a technical diving class, and your instructor wants to make a point, you might get your mask pulled off. Remember to keep your back up mask in your right pocket!

If it fits in the pocket with a 10 pound weight behind it.

The one scenario I cannot work through is losing my mask. Done a lot of pool work without a mask and I handled it well. But a pool is a controlled, familiar environment.

The best way to deal with it is simply to familiarize yourself with it by removing your mask in the ocean, just like in the pool. The ocean then becomes the familiar environment and the more you do it, the more comfortable it becomes.

This is something that I was thinking of too when I was finishing my OW course. I got a Dive Rite bellows pouch and a backup mask to keep in it.

My thought on doing it that way is that it's going to be easier for me to grab the backup mask, as I know where it is...and to then see about recovering the lost mask.

One thing to think about...the most common mistake that I've seen is people floating on the surface after a dive with their mask resting on top of their head. That is probably the easiest way to lose your mask and the most preventable (if you want to remove it...keep it around your neck...not sitting on top of your head).

Around here we do a lot of beach entries through surf.
Lost masks are a very frequent occurrence.

Do you wear a hood when you dive?
  1. Put the hood on first, and pull the top portion back and down so the face part is around your neck.
  2. Next put your mask on your bare head in the normal way.
  3. Finally, pull the top of the hood onto your head.
The mask strap is now under the hood.
The mask can not come off without removing the hood,
even if you're hit by a big wave.

I've used this method for years during some hellish surf entries... and never lost a mask.

K

Also, one of my instructors likes to do mask remove and replace during every 3-minute safety stop as practice. If your buoyancy's good during your safety stop, you may want to do that, too. You might want to tell your buddy, before the dive, to make sure you don't float up while doing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom