FB Find - Sherwood Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robpiat

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I found this local for cheap and thought it might be a good learning project. A buddy of mine offered to rebuild it with me but not sure what parts kit I need. It looks from prelim research that alot of the sherwood regs share common rebuild kits. Can anyone ID this and advise on a rebuild kit? This will never be used for open water diving. Just a pool set.

aNflKOX.jpg

mtd3B6B.jpg

SC8196M.jpg

jINRCLY.jpg

For me it looks like a SRB5700 or SRB 7700 (is imprinted on the 1st stage) Oasis with a Minimus Octo SR3108
You would need a 4000-15 Service Kit for the SRB5700/7700, and a Service Kit for the SR3108, which I cannot find on the current Price List or the ones from the last eight years.
Probably you would be fine with the Service Kit 4000-9 for the Octopus and Hookah Regulators.
Apart from that I doubt that this reg is a good one to start learning working on servicing.
It has a some particular features like the Flow Restrictor Screw, which you have first to check if it still let air through. Also the 'floating' piston with the Disc Springs is pretty special and the adjustment of the Minimus can be tricky.
You definitely will learn something, but that reg is maybe a bit too special to generalize what you have learned.
I would rather start with a SP MK2 -R190or one of its clones........

Thanks for the wisdom. It seems to work OK on a tank. I don't have an intermediate pressure gauge here though. I'll probably just clean it up and set it aside.

Thanks for the wisdom. It seems to work OK on a tank. I don't have an intermediate pressure gauge here though. I'll probably just clean it up and set it aside.

Those first stages are extremely hardy. If you want something for a pool and only you are going to use it, then don't mess with it! Chances are it will continue to work adequately for a long time. If it starts to free flow, look up how to remove the second stage and tighten up the seat a little, that will probably buy you another 10 dozen pool dives.

Unfortunately service kits are not available for these older Sherwood first stages, I had to retire mine!

Unfortunately service kits are not available for these older Sherwood first stages, I had to retire mine!

What?
Why......?

Attachments

• sherwood_service kits 2020.pdf
    905.5 KB · Views: 365
axxel57 alluded to this but you need to understand something about Sherwood regs. If you look, there is one special "port plug", the black rubber one in your first photo, that you need to know about. A small stream of bubbles are supposed to "leak" from it at all times. This is a feature of SW regs (Dry bleed) to keep the spring chamber dry. To my knowledge, SWs are the only regs that SHOULD leak, at least at that port. This is a unique feature of SW regs, it works great but will drive you nuts trying to "fix" the leak if you don't understand it is supposed to be there. Otherwise, SW regs are solid, dependable regs that are easy to rebuild.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom