Favorite LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique:
there are two sides to every story.
--Matt

Actually, the number of sides is always one more than the number of persons involved, PLUS 1. The "+1" is what actually happened. :eyebrow:

Wish I could echo the comments about ECD but when I was beginning the certification process last year (May) I decided to try them out. My wife had just bought her stuff at the Scuba Store in South Attleboro and I wanted to see if ECD could do any better with pricing. I told the salerep I was just getting into the sport and wanted to purchase entry level mask, fins, snorkel, gloves and boots.

The guy immediately began providing the highend for each of these pieces. He just didn't want to listen to what the customer was saying. I told him at least twice that I was not even sure if I would be staying with the sport so I wanted safe gear but not the best. Guy just didn't listen. I ended up going back to the place my wife bought from. I'm assuming the guy was on commission. Too bad because since then I've bought 3 complete dive outfits for myself, my wife and daughter. I'll be looking for a drysuit this fall but these people won't get my business.

CAD has been good and bad depending on time of day and what day. Saturday afternoon is definitely not a time to visit these people.

I bought a backup light from North Atlantic Scuba and they were just excellent to deal with: very knowledgeable and willing to spend time with you.

Same two shops two very different experiences. I think our post have just cancelled each other out. I find all but one employee at South Attlboro to be pleasant but I find not one of them very knowledgable. Of course when I last filled my tank and asked them to slow it down a bit so I could get a good fill it was pointed out to me that a 100 should actually be a dollar more. They sold me a fill card knowing full well I use alum 100s but the minute I ask them to do it right (and I actually didn't say it that way, I was very polite and humble) they tell me how they are actually doing me a favor.

Believe me when I say I'm not crazy about the South Attleboro store but they win by default. I'm fairly close to them.

The best thing about them is one of their instructors Bob M.

PG Dive.

Great customer service. Good prices. Great customer service. Down to earth owners and staff. Great customer service.

Note: I put a lot of stock in customer service.

It always strikes me as fascinating that some dive shops stay in business year after year - in some cases decade after decade - with such consistently bad customer service issues. One shop in particular comes to mind.

Just goes to show you that no matter how much you may turn off a portion of your customers, there are still enough average joe snorkellers out there to keep almost any dive shop afloat.

matt_unique:
In terms of training I'm sure you are referring to Butch with the "horror story" feedback.

Butch was one of several people who related one of several stories. None of them inspired confidence.

I've heard numerous things, but it's all second hand info I can't personally verify, so I won't relate the stories here.

MSilvia:
Butch was one of several people who related one of several stories. None of them inspired confidence.

I've heard numerous things, but it's all second hand info I can't personally verify, so I won't relate the stories here.

Good point GM - 3 sides to every story is most accurate.

My personal experience has been very good with Northeast Scuba and Tom. I dive with buddies who received training from him and feel the same.

I think this is a great thread to learn about experiences with local dive shops. Too often business owners forget that customer service actually does matter and will affect the bottom line.

--Matt

MSilvia:
Not bad, but I just got a zipper repair for free from PG Dive (on a drysuit I bought there), and they gave me a loaner to use while I waited.

That is a nice bonus. I did not ask Inland Divers about a loaner....

--Matt

matt_unique:
My personal experience has been very good with Northeast Scuba and Tom. I dive with buddies who received training from him and feel the same.

As I said, I've heard mixed reviews. I'd certainly encourage anyone to shop around and form your own opinions. This thread is a good resource, and a nice starting point, but what's good for one person may not necessarily be good for another. Check out several shops that sound like they might meet your needs, and figure out what you like and don't about each.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom