Favorite LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zerj

Reaction score
I am new to SCUBA just certified a couple of weeks ago now it looks like it is time to blow a large chunk o cash on my own gear. Actually make that two since my wife dives as well.

Anyway are there any LDS's to avoid or that you would strongly reccomend?

Most likely I would buy from one of the below as they are the 'most' Local of the bunch in my area.

East Coast Divers - Framingham
Central Mass Scuba - Worcester
Mass Divers - Natick
North East Scuba - Chelmsford
Aqua Shack - Marlboro

Thanks
Mike

I've had issues with Mass Diving before, and I try to avoid them; although I know there are some that use them and are very happy [in fact one of their employees is present on this board]. Mass Diving is just pretty expensive, and they hold the attitude of you should feel honored that they will allow you to do business with them.

East Coast Divers I've not dealt with before, but there is also a representative from that shop here as well.

I've done some business with Northeast Scuba. Some things I like, some things I don't like. I only go in there now if I can't get what I need anywhere else.

Now if you want to travel a little farther, I'd have to recommend Aquatic Escapes in Londonderry NH [just off exit 4 on 93] or Discover Diving in Atkinson NH [on 121, just off 125 and just over the border from Haverhill]. Both shops have good prices and you also avoid MA sales tax.

I've been quite happy with United Divers in Somerville, but you have to make sure you don't get one of the newer employees helping you. I deal with Rock, Mike, or Margaret. Rock is the GM, Margaret is the owner's wife, and Mike...well, Mike is just a cool guy.

Incidentally, if you have a drysuit that needs repair...United is a great choice. Margaret does excellent work.

I really like the relationship I have with MASSDIVING. I get really good fills and great advise. When I buy 30 fills at once They are only 3 dollars a fill. I have purchased much of my equipment from them. They provide some great service and support for those items. I have also purchased gear from other shops nearby, on-line and direct from company's depending on what I want or need. Shop around and hagle some. :) But it never hurts to have your favorite shop nearby.

leisurepro.com has some great deals

zerj once bubbled...
Anyway are there any LDS's to avoid or that you would strongly reccomend?

I'm probably the wrong person to be replying about LDSs, as anyone who has been witness to my rants will attest. I have a habit of firing dive shops when they piss me off. My LDS philosophy in a nutshell is that I'm using them for advice and service - I'm looking for customer service and compatable dive philosophy above all, then price, then location.

I think most of my problems with dive shops stem from many dive shop retail workers being male and having a hard time respective a young, agressive female who knows what she wants, will ask for it, and is not a warm water whimp. I hate to play the gender card, but there is definitely still a sterotype in the diving retail world.

<novel>
Therefore, here's my run down of local LDSs I've associated with: (these are my opinions, you're mileage may vary.)

Atlantic Divers - Lynnfield
Never bought anything from them, air fills are cheap, gear prices average to high, might think of sending friends to them for training, but not especially keen of their sales mentality.

Cape Ann Divers - Gloucester
Only bought a flag and air from them. High prices. Often too busy to answer any questions or do good customer service. Limited gear lines. But convenient air station - although notorious for $6 short fills (I'll let MSilvia continue that rant!)

East Coast Divers - Framingham (edit to note that I used Brookline store)
Bought my wetsuit from them. Average prices. Great return policy -- I did actually return my suit for a different size after diving it. I have stopped using them due to serious lack of professionalism.

Leisure Pro - Manhattan/internet
I buy almost all my non-life support equipment from them now. Can't beat the prices. I think I might buy my next computer/gauges from them.

South Shore Divers - Weymouth
I'm taking my Advanced with them this weekend. I have had long chats with the owner and like his philosophy - also I have not heard a single bad review of them. I now drive 1.5 hours to get to this shop. I'll write more about my experience with them after the course this weekend.

United Divers - Somerville
Bought reg set, computer, 2 tanks, BC and some accesories from them last year. Was very happy with them THEN. Prices average. BUT the new retail guy (Rob) is to be avoided. Not a very personable or professional, not a compatable dive philosophy with mine, smacks of "Diving-It-Chuck". There is not always good communication between the retail personal - and not all of them completely understand the gear that they sell. I will soon be calling the owner at the Providence store to see if he can save my faith in his establishment. Re-did check out dives with them last summer after not diving for a while - I liked the instructor I had then, but their current training director is a bit disoraganized. They don't know what classes they are teaching 2 weeks in advance.
</novel>

Okay - so I'm rather opinionated. My advice to you is visit some shops and "interview" them. Prioritize whether your criteria, weighing price, location, customer service, philosophy, lines carried, etc. Keep in mind that stores can vary season by season due to which employees stay with the store (turnover rate), just as courses vary from instructor to instructor.

Good luck and happy shopping.

Seeing as you wont answer my PM's, I am calling you out to explain what exactly your problem is with East COast Divers, Framingham.

I have been there for three years now, I am the store manager (not too much of a secret there), and I would like to know what we ever did in an unprofessional way. I would really like the oppurtunity to reconcile this. If there is anything I can do, let me know. I would like to hear about your issues with us...

Thanks...

As far as your issues with United, two of my best friends are now working/ managing the Somerville store, and I am wondering if you have been there in a while. Because, they have only been there for about six months now. Also, the owner doesnt spend alot of time in either store...

If you're willing to drive just a little further than Worcester, poke your head into Inland Divers out on rt. 9 in Leicester. Prices aren't bad, and the folks there know their stuff....

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
Seeing as you wont answer my PM's, I am calling you out to explain what exactly your problem is with East COast Divers, Framingham.

I don't recall ever getting a PM from you, but this winter I was wicked busy at work, and neglected SB a bit - maybe it fell through the cracks. PM me with a work phone I can reach you at and I'd love to chat.

Since you asked in the thread- here's more details:
I edited my post to reflect that I used the Brookline ECD - on oversite on my part in my above post. I've heard much better things about ppl's experience with Frammingham.

My exact gripe that leads to my conclusion of unprofessionalism - is being ignored in the store. Whenever someone else walked into the store, one particular employee would stop me mid-sentence and deal with the customer/delivery man/other employee, even if another employee was available and just hanging around. I know I tend to ask more questions that the average newbie that I was last fall - but when I'm about to drop $700, I think I have a right to ask questions.

Also, it's other small things - such as not returning phone calls or opening 30 minutes late when I called the night before wanted to pick-up an item I order first thing in the morning.

<rant>
I expect good divers to be detail-oriented people; therefore, I expect the people (and shops) I get my advice from to be detail-oriented people. When I see disorganization with returning phone calls or getting staffing in the AM, I become skeptical of all advice in general. But then again, I think I have very high standards for dive shops -- potentially unrealistically high standards... but a girl can still search, can't she?
</rant>

As for UDI, that's a longer story. And yes I am refering to recent visits. The entire philosophy of the shop has changed with the new staff -- whether this is a good or bad change, I don't think I'm qualified to judge. I'll leave it that I received very conflicting information from gear I bought from this store. But I really want to like UDI, the new training director is really nice - but, I think that their philosophy no longer aligns with mine.

In conclusion, I have no strong "recommends" nor strong "avoids." I advise divers in the market for gear or anLDS to call their own to shop around - here are the data points from what I found - go collect your own. If you find something similar to what I did then that could help you be more resolute in a decision to use or not use a shop.

So how's the weather? :coke:

mer once bubbled...
BUT the new retail guy (Rob) is to be avoided. Not a very personable or professional, not a compatable dive philosophy with mine, smacks of "Diving-It-Chuck".

Who's Rob? I'm in there a couple times a week and have never met or heard of him. Could you be referring to Rock? Theron Rock is the new general manager of the store, and while it took some getting used to him and his personality, he is a very personable and knowledgeable guy.

United also has an excellent repair staff. People from all over the country send stuff to Margaret for drysuit repairs.

You also are unlikely to find better maintained compressors, since they are also an air compressor business (United Compressors or something).

Back
Top Bottom