Favoring tech-flavored rig setups from the beginning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe a trivial question, but why long hose and bungee necklace setup are better than the default configuration of short hose and octopus in D-ring, and since better why is it not embraced?

In addition to rongoodman's comment, it's also because tucking a long hose in your jacket cumberbun creates a weird bow (stealime as it may be) but a weird bow non-the-less across your front side. The shoulder straps prevent you from cleanly keeping your excess hose tucked on your side, and even worse, the lack of proper fit with stock BC's means your long hose may often come untucked and flap around.

Considering when the system was developed, fairly recently in the history of modern scuba, it's still really early to expect it to catch on at a mainstream level.

Maybe a trivial question, but why long hose and bungee necklace setup are better than the default configuration of short hose and octopus in D-ring, and since better why is it not embraced?

The benefits of the long hose have already been explained. For you, the additional benefit if you are going to proceed later to tech, is that you will get used to dealing with it and doing donating gas with it, so you will not have to replace and relearn at a later date.

The first rig I owned was a BP/W with regs with a long hose. I did recieve some negative comments on the whole bit from clueless DMs and the like, but I'm really glad that's what I had and still have.

But once you are diving with a rig like that, make sure that if you take recreational level courses, that the instructor is familiar with that sort of stuff.

Are you asking about details, or about entire configurations? Some people are advocating going straight to sidemount, especially if you are considering cave diving. I personally think that adopting a backmount configuration that is doubles-compatible (i.e. backplate and wing) is a great way to give yourself a straight path into tech diving. Should you eventually decide to dive small cave, you can then transition to sidemount very easily.

There's plenty of articles, hints and tips available to browse online that can help 'flavor' recreational diving with tech methodologies and principles. In particular, many webpages outlining a 'DIR' or 'Hogarthian' approach to recreational diving equipment configuration.

Whilst 'DIR' remains a just single philosophy on technical diving, it does lend itself towards transition at the 'tecreational' levels. Sources that deal with this will inform of many good refinements that can be put into a recreational rig; long-hose, bungee back-up, kit stowage, use of bolt-snaps etc etc. A few Google searches will reveal some good websites that lay out these approaches clearly.

A recreational diver doesn't have the extensive personal experience to evaluate multiple (occasionally opposing) tech philosophies. DIR is effective at simplifying this introduction. That said, as the diver gains personal experience and progresses into actual technical diving, they should retain an open mind and encompass a wider breadth of opinions.

I think you have got some very good answers to your questions re: configuration.

BP/W
Long hose/bungie back-up
blade fins
pockets

Without going too far off topic let me just add that training and attitude are of equal or more importance. The way you think about diving, the reasons behind the configuration, the planning, awareness, team mentality can not be introduced too early. Finding a qualified instructor/mentor who is capable and willing to teach these things from the begining is worth whatever added cost may be involved. This type of diving is not equipment driven, it is thought and training driven.

Maybe a trivial question, but why long hose and bungee necklace setup are better than the default configuration of short hose and octopus in D-ring,
As several have mentioned, the primary advantages are a) donation of a 'working' regulator in an OOA situation, and b) ready accessibility of the back-up for the donor. I personally find the configuration to also be c) safer for the diver in the event that their second stage is knocked out of their mouth by another diver, i.e. their alternate is right beneath their chin, and there is no frantic searching for it somewhere in the (Bermuda) triangle, d) more streamlined, and e) easier to swim with a buddy, either as donor or receiver, when a long hose is used for the donate reg. But, that may just be me.

One functional alternative to the 'long hose' part (the hose length and cost seems to be, for some, a sticking point in considering such a configuration), which still provides 4/5 benefits, is a configuration that a number of university scuba programs seem to be adopting - the diver breathes from the alternate / octo on the longer (40") hose as their principal second stage, and puts what would have been their primary second stage (on the shorter hose) on a bungee, positioned below their chin. I really like that configuration (and even proposed it as a change in our shop OW training standards - we decided not to adopt it across the board because many instructors still dive what would be considered a more traditional rig). In such a set-up, the alternate is still 'clearly marked' - the same yellow hose / yellow purge cover / yellow second stage housing / whatever is used - and the alternate still resides in the 'triangle' that is frequently described and taught in OW. In fact, the second stage is very visible to an OOA diver, at the very top of the triangle (in the diver's mouth), not obscured somewhere toward the lower corner.
FlyingSquid:
and since better why is it not embraced?
I agree that the timing of introduction of the set up has been a factor, as is simple lack of awareness of the configuration (among many divers and instructors). But, I also see it as a matter of inertia and complacency. The likelihood of an OOA situation requiring donation of an alternate is really quite low. Many divers intentionally use (and get away with using) lower performance (aka less expensive / cheap) second stages as their alternates because they don't think they will ever actually need them (and usually don't). A number of these divers also, for whatever reason, don't seem to notice that the alternate frequently a) extends out to the side or below them, even while the second stage hose is clipped to their BCD, or b) comes out of the clip / mouthpiece holder / whatever they are using altogether, and dangles below them, gently bouncing along the reef or the silty bottom. Since it is hard to document real problems with OOA air-sharing with the traditional configuration - because the instances are rare to begin with - there is no impetus to overcome either the inertia of having started that way, or the complacency of continuing to do it that way. This is the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' approach. Nothing is necessarily wrong with it. Personally, as I have aged I have come to favor the 'I ain't gonna wait for it to break.' approach. But, again, that is just me.

Without going too far off topic let me just add that training and attitude are of equal or more importance. The way you think about diving, the reasons behind the configuration, the planning, awareness, team mentality can not be introduced too early. Finding a qualified instructor/mentor who is capable and willing to teach these things from the begining is worth whatever added cost may be involved. This type of diving is not equipment driven, it is thought and training driven.

I second your comments. Years ago I was talking to a retired college professor about my plans for grad school. When I told him I was thinking about going back to the school I did my undergrad at, he said, "Don't you dare! That's intellectual incest!" It is so easy to get all your certs from the same dive shop, the same couple of instructors, and dive with the same folks. If you want to get better, you need to seek out people who are better then you are.

My favorite instructor was a cave diver. He used a technical setup for every dive including the 20' mud hole. As students we saw him practice what he preached and he never hesitated to explain why he did what he did. Just being exposed to that kind of diving was enough for me to adopt some of the technical techniques and "habits" that many OW divers are not familiar with. I can't say it enough. If you want to get better, dive with people who are better then you are.

Your equipment choices will be determined (to some degree) by your region, the other people you dive with, and the pathway you will pursue.

If you wish to pursue a pathway like this: Rec <=> Tech then you couldn't go wrong with a Hogarthian rig. It is a platform that you can build increasingly more complex dives on while at the same time being able to scale down for simple recreational dives.

If your anticipated pathway is more like this: Solo <=> Team then your rig may emphasize other, more salient features such as redundant air sources and alternate regulator configurations. The key being something that one can successfully solo dive with while also being able to easily use for team dives. The same ability to transition towards technical diving may not apply.

It may seem an insignificant difference, but I think far too many people think in terms of moving from Rec to Tech (which most people don't do in a long term way) instead of looking at how they will move within various aspects of recreational diving (which is far more likely).
Most people I know transition between tropical diving, cold water diving, photography or videography diving, buddy diving and solo diving - all at the recreational level. They should be choosing rigs and philosophies that serve most, if not all those avenues.

Color scheme is extremely important. Recommended ratios by surface area:
  • Stainless steel, mirror finish = 7%
  • Miscellaneous colors = 3%
  • Black = balance

In addition to everyone else's comments, I'll point out that making joke replies to people's comments about your unusually long hose just never gets old... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom