Review Fathom Gemini 010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they make it eCCR, would buy it in a heartbeat.
I hope they never do and doubt they will.
That would defeat one of the best parts of the fathom units: simplicity

I may be wrong but (at least to me) Gemini is better made Sidewinder, hence Sidewinder 2 is in the making with the note of it will be upgradeable to eCCR, I don’t see any reason why not Gemini MK2 becomes available with the option of eCCR configuration. Just like Revo or Flex, user can choose how simple or complex unit they want to dive with.

Wishing they never do that because one don’t find simple enough is flawed logic, it is like one is wishing there shouldn’t be any planes because he/she doesn’t like flying, example can be extended on many other things in life. Long story short, there should be choices available for those who is willing to explore.

I may be wrong but (at least to me) Gemini is better made Sidemwinder, hence Sidewinder 2 is in the making with the note of it will be upgradeable to eCCR, I don’t see any reason why not Gemini MK2 becomes available with the option of eCCR configuration. Just like Revo or Flex, user can choose how simple or complex unit they want to dive with.

Wishing they never do that because one don’t find simple enough is flawed logic, it is like one is wishing there shouldn’t be any planes because he/she doesn’t like flying, example can be extended on many other things in life. Long story short, there should be choices available for those who is willing to explore.
Trust me I'm not a quaker, I enjoy technology. It's simply a philospohical difference among ccr divers. There are pros and cons to both mccr and eccr. For me, I fall on the side that prefers mccr for its general simplicity and that I feel a subset of eccr divers become complacement when they have an eccr saving their butts when they aren't paying attention. I prefer to be in control and believe for me that mccr keeps my mind more focused on running the ccr than if I could be just letting the handest do the work. (I'm intentionally not bringing up the fact that you can run most eccrs as mccrs because that just muddies the waters.
When I was considering a ccr and spoke to my friend who eventually became my ccr instructor and to the fathom designer, we had similar thoughts. Simplicity of design and lack of a ton of proprietary parts was important. So I would not have considered something like a revo. We also spoke about complacency and diver distraction with mccr vs eccr and I felt similarly to them. Other things like dual p02 monitoring and flood tolerance were also important to me and to them.
Clearly the fathom is a SW clone, but imo it's an improvement. I'm not trying to speak for Charlie, but I don't believe his goal is to just keep making sw clones. He saw a smart design that he could put his influence and personal preferences into and make a better unit. His philososphies may have changed over time since I haven't had the same discussion with him in years, but at the time he was a big propoonent of the simplicity and focus on running the unit that comes with an mccr. The sw has become a unit for the masses, but that comes with alot of negatives such as a large pool of instructors that has quite a few crappy ones mixed in, instructors who choose not to discuss the negatives of a sm ccr as your first unit as that would cause them to lose money, and cheap quality parts. Its great if they want to add an eccr model to help push more units to the masses, but I hope that fathom never moves in that same direction.

When is the Gemini 2.0 coming out?🤣
I just guess when the SW 2.0 is already established out on the market and the dive community addresses its shortcomings...

How did you notice/measure CO2 build up?
There were the usual incipient signs of dizziness, accelerated heart beat and difficulty in breathing. I was not able to quantify though, since I was caring out slow diluent flushes whilst ascending.

If they make it eCCR, would buy it in a heartbeat.
I hope this will never happen, since an eCCR version will push the already-significant sale price sky-high... Just look at the Liberty SM.

I hope this will never happen, since an eCCR version will push the already-significant sale price sky-high... Just look at the Liberty SM.
Liberty is too far at the complex end of the spectrum. I like JJ kind of complex, nothing more.

If i was Charlie Roberson or Andrew Pitkin, I would strongly consider make an additional head that can be used with rest of the “non complex” Gemini and reach greater number of users while pushing the SP closer to five digits for the base unit. :p

Why would you hope for fewer options? I don't like my cars to shift gears by themselves but I wouldn't wish for a manufacturer to not offer an automatic because of my own personal preferences.

I dive an eccr chop, but I hope one day they DO make an mccr variant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom