Fatality Cabo San Lucas March 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I did some reading on Analox's web site, and some searching for dealers. Leisure Pro sells the tester for about $360. The manual from the Analox web site says the sensor life is two years. I could not find a price for a replacement sensor. I dive once or twice a year. My last dive trip was a year ago. If I go to the Grand Canyon (instead of Cayman -- still undecided) in June, I won't be diving again before fall, if then. I could buy this thing, use it on one trip, and then have to replace it, or its sensor, for my next trip.

I'd like to see these things on the dive boat or at the dive dock, so I could pay $10 for a week's worth of tank testing, rather than spending $360 for something I may use once or twice before it expires. Dive operators that offer nitrox let me use their nitrox tester. Why not let me use a CO tester? If they charge a few bucks to use it, it would more than pay for itself.

(I still might get one before my next dive trip. I just don't yet know when that will be.)

A little less here - Analox EII CO Carbon Monoxide Analyzer

How can you be sure the CO analyzer on the boat or at the dock is functioning properly and calibrated? My life is worth way more than $360. Even if I only went on one dive vacation a year, I would have bought one. I pay $200 a year for DAN insurance for my wife and me, have been for years and never needed it. IMO, a CO analyzer is much more important as it can prevent an accident.

Ayisha:
May I suggest that as many people as possible contact DAN and ask them to advocate for dive shops to have inline CO monitors with automatic shutoffs and portable CO analyzers for the clients to use? They need to know that divers are concerned and there are viable solutions to prevent needless deaths and illnesses due to CO poisoning.

The shop in Cozumel where the bad gas came from in October had 4 inline CO monitors and Brendan is still dead. Nothing replaces a personal CO analyzer. Nothing.

Yes, I know Rob. That's why in my initial emails to Dr Bird, I had told him that an inline CO monitor did not prevent your friend's death and strongly suggested that all the CO Clear's that they are installing in Coz have an automatic shut-off. This time I asked him if DAN could advocate both for inline CO monitors with automatic shut-offs everywhere AND portable CO analyzers.

If I buy compressed air from a dive shop, I can reasonably expect that it will sustain life. If I buy gas for my car, I can reasonably expect that it will not blow up my car. I don't test the gas (or the brakes after they're replaced or inspect an airplane's mechanics before flying, etc.). That's what I'm paying a professional for. I think it's a slippery slope where we take responsibility for the contents of something we buy from a company specializing in providing it.

I know there is a concern about whether the analyzers at a dive shop are calibrated correctly and recently, and that is a valid concern. Divers routinely trust O2 analyzers at dive shops as well. I only patronize shops that I trust and I normally only deal with shops that fill EANx and mixed gases, so I'm pretty sure that they have good, clean, dry air. Trust but verify - whatever that means to you.

I don't trust any compressor, including my own. I analyze every single cylinder every single time. But that's just me.

Oh, and for what it's worth, a friend of mine analyzed his 100% O2 cylinder that oxygen analyzed at 100% but also gave a 17 ppm CO reading on 2 different CO analyzers. So just because a shop fills EANx and mixed gasses doesn't mean anything. The oxygen or other gasses may be the source of contamination.

I have sent the following email to DAN:

Dear Folks:

There has been discussion over the years on Scuba Board about the importance of testing breathing gas for carbon monoxide. Portable testers are available, but are expensive, especially for the vacation diver who might only dive for one week a year. Dive shops and boats that offer nitrox always have O2 testers free for divers to use. Why should they not also have CO testers for their clients to use?

I realize that DAN does not have regulatory authority or enforcement powers, but DAN does have the power of the "bully pulpit." A campaign by DAN for dive shops to buy CO testers and make them available for divers to use (either free or for a reasonable fee) would go a long way in creating a climate where this would become the expected norm.

CO incidents are rare, but when they occur the consequences are severe, and often fatal.

I'm writing to urge DAN to take a strong position advocating as standard good operating practice that dive shops carry and make available CO testers for their clients to use.

Thanks,

<my name
my email
my phone number>

That's what I'm paying a professional for. I think it's a slippery slope where we take responsibility for the contents of something we buy from a company specializing in providing it.
I'd agree if I thougth the average fill station and all empoyess were worthy of trust. I don't, but it's easier to just test all tanks than try to figure out who is trustworthy, ignoring personal feelings for other customers.

I know there is a concern about whether the analyzers at a dive shop are calibrated correctly and recently, and that is a valid concern. Divers routinely trust O2 analyzers at dive shops as well. I only patronize shops that I trust and I normally only deal with shops that fill EANx and mixed gases, so I'm pretty sure that they have good, clean, dry air. Trust but verify - whatever that means to you.
With Analox personal analyzers, you can see O2 to 20.9 and CO to zero followed by a bump test. I think those are pretty safe to trust. For other CO analyzers, I want to calibrate personally or have it done at the factory - not a shop.

This the lowest price I've seen in the States as of late at $325.

EII CO- Portable Carbon Monoxide Checker
Very nice! :thumb: Free shipping too! Sweet. :dance3:

I have sent the following email to DAN:
Please do rag on DAN. They know me and my feelings all too well for me to write again. I think they have really dropped the ball the way they have handled this risk in recent years and need to catch up.

First my condolences to the family for their loss as nothing that will be found or can be found will ever be able to replace their loved one. If it increases awareness or helps to mitigate future incidents I am all for them raising awareness about it. However I do find it very irresponsible to assume a specific cause including CO Poisoning from thousands of miles away and name a specific dive shop that may or may not have been involved unless there are facts or evidence supporting that. If there are any facts or evidence, I have not seen or found them in any story, article or posts that provide details on them. This has led to all kinds of conjecture and rumor on this forum, as well as other forums and comments on this story which has, and will continue to harm the reputation of the shop, whether or not they were involved at all. I understand this is a forum where we discuss accidents and incidents and there will naturally be some speculation, but to name a specific dive shop that has denied any involvement is wrong. I have the feeling that many people reading this and commenting already assume the dive shop in question is guilty or has some involvement and is not reputable. I don't have all the facts, so I can't empirically say either way. However it looks like they have stated they were not involved and the family and news reporters have not specifically mentioned how they believe they were involved. My question is for all of those assuming the dive shop mentioned was involved or were somehow at fault, if the facts to come back they were not at all involved, or that CO poisoning wasn't involved, or if no evidence is found that implicates them, will all of you come back here and everywhere else you posted and indicate the shop must be a reputable company and that they were unfairly accused. My guess is that you will not, nor will the reporters, who more then likely have no clue about diving, which is unfortunate.

What I can tell you is that I choose the shop in question, after a lot of research and emailing back and forth with them and many others, to certify my 10 year old son this last summer and I will tell you empirically that they took safety and maintenance very seriously. As an example, junior open water divers (those under 12) are restricted to a maximum depth of 40 feet. This shop told me in no uncertain terms, he can not go below 40 feet, and while we were diving, anytime we even got close, the dive instructor and dive masters who were no more then a few feet from him/us would immediately signal that we were close to the max depth and ask us to ascend a few feet so that we didn't even get close to crossing it. In every aspect of the certification, safety was the main focus of the operations. There was a portion during the certification where we hit some low vis that wasn't really bad, but spooked my son a little. He gave the up sign and there was no hesitation as the instructor immediately began the accent process, with the safety stop. I asked why we didn't take just a minute to try and calm him, and the instructor responded that he wanted to instill and reinforce in my son that he had the right to call the dive at anytime, for any reason, without question or hesitation, if he did not feel comfortable, which went a long way with me. I did, and would again, trust the life of my child under their care. With that being said, my wife, son, and I had the conversation, when he expressed interest in diving, and all came to terms with the fact that we had to accept the danger and risk in it, and all understand that while the risk is small, there may be a time where him or I may not surface in a good condition, or may not surface at all, and we accept that risk as part of the activity we have chosen.

I ask each of you to consider, if you were someones dive buddy and they did not come up for whatever reason, and you were instantly blamed, would you feel that was fair?

The parties mentioned are welcome to join the discussion.

I agree with KC Mike. Has their been any news on the incident, or has it already fallen out of the news? Unfortunately, guesses and hypotheses are all that are left when there is very little fact.

Cruiser, I think the dive op that was initially accused of the fill, or someone close to the op has chimed in on earlier posts.

Ps. I'm still buying a CO analyzer.

Back
Top Bottom