fast way of drying a wetsuit- anybody got a tip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoupart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey,
I was wondering if there's a quicker method of drying out a wetsuit then leaving it to hang up. One of my friends told me he likes to put his in a dryer for a few minutes, but not too long to damage the bubbles in the neoprene.
Does anybody have a recommendation?

You could hang it up and blow a fan across it. Same way they dry carpets. Increases evaporation.

Hmmm, that is a GREAT idea. Think I'll try it :)

Mark

The sun works just fine for me. I wash mine off, drape it over a chair in my back yard and
within a few hours it's dry. Why the need to dry it so fast? It works when wet too... :)

I would -not- put it in the dryer though.

Spin cycle of a washer works. It doesn't dry it like a dryer but it does take the excess moisture out of it.
Also heard of using an old hood hair dryer. The kind that you would still see in beauty parlor. Just take the heating unit off the chair and rig it to blow air through the wet suit..PVC works great.

Sunlight damages everything. The less you get on your gear the longer it will last.

Wouldn't the spin cycle of the washer reduce the life of the neoprene? Like creasing it?

Mark

build a cheap stand out of 2" pvc pipe to form a wet suit "hangar". attach a hair dryer or like fan to the bottom of the stod which should be open and turn on low heat and air flow...Dry in no time with no smell.

mweitz:
Sunlight damages everything. The less you get on your gear the longer it will last.

Wouldn't the spin cycle of the washer reduce the life of the neoprene? Like creasing it?

Mark

Just did a search on "drying" a wet suit in the washer and nobody says anything about creasing or anything else caused by a washer. There are actually a couple of threads that say they put their wetsuit through a complete cycle in the washer but I think I will pass.

I would be hesitant about any mechanical or heat methods being used to dry a wetsuit.

On a top loading washer I'd be too worried about the suit getting tangled on the agitator causing damage.

On front loading washers and dryers the sound of the zipper slapping against the drum probably wouldn't be good for the zipper or the drum, and even if not an issue the racket would drive me crazy.

I like idea of a fan blowing across the wetsuit, it's probably the safest "hurry up" method I've heard of.

a friend of mine built a bootie and glove dryer with pvc and a pc ventilator.
will work for a suit as well, you just need more pvc.
unfortunately the link is in german, but he speaks english if you need to contact him for info. the link with photos:

http://www.taucher.net/tips/tips_detail.html?nummer=152

quick translation of the text with programm:

Füssling and glove dryer

" much diver " wet or damp Füsslinge are tired of these and version of a Füssling and glove dryer thinks here to put gloves on for everyone.

Components:
1 pipe Ø 12 cm
2 pipe Ø 4.5 cm
2 pipe Ø 4 cm
1 aging PC power supply ventilator
4 wood plates
8 screws
1 cable
1 12 V power supply unit

Production:
For the production it is if of advantage one can handle a drill and a saw a little. Of course one also should V power supply anschliesst bring the necessary knowledge like one unite PC ventilators to one 12. Copy otherwise dear children don't; and the parents ask)

Probably there is not to say very much to the tubes. Simply tailoring to the desired length. Holes drill, fit together ready.

The wood plates on the sides have already to be produced a little more difficult. You consist of 2 wood plates each per side of these per one you shifted to a reducer. Screwing together and fitting together after this. I had the possibility of the fetching washtub walk pieces making lathe at one. Their ev should here. improvising something.

For the end the PC ventilator still must V power supply unit be attached to one 12. Is also here valid not copy if one has no idea? In no case the ventilator to 230 V anschliessen !!!

underwater daphne PM-ed me that she wouldn't be offended if I manually translated the instruction. Yes, she used a computer translation program! :wink:

Here it is... your mileage, translation style, units of measurement, and outlet voltage may vary:

Bootie and glove dryer

For those people that dive a lot and are sick and tired of trying to pull on wet or moist booties, here is my version of a bootie and glove dryer.

Parts needed:
1 tube 12 cm diameter
2 tubes 4.5 cm diameter
2 tubes 4 cm diameter
1 old PC power supply ventilation fan
4 wood sheets
8 screws
1 electrical cable
1 12-volt power supply

Construction:

When putting this together, it’s better to have some skill in using an electric drill and a saw. Of course, you should also have the necessary knowledge of how to connect a PC fan to a 12v power supply. Otherwise, dear children, don’t do this and ask your parents to help. ;-)

As far as the tubes are concerned, there’s really not much to say. Simply cut them down to the desired length. Drill holes, attach together, and you’re done.

The wood sheets on the sides are a little more difficult to make. They consist of two wood sheets per side, of which one is accurately cut into the shape of a connecting piece. Then screw them together. I was able to cut the connecting piece on a lathe. You may have to improvise a little.

Finally, the PC fan has to be connected to a 12v power supply. Be careful – don’t do this if you don’t know what you’re doing. In any case, don’t connect the fan to a 230-volt outlet!

underwater daphne:
a friend of mine built a bootie and glove dryer with pvc and a pc ventilator.
will work for a suit as well, you just need more pvc.
unfortunately the link is in german, but he speaks english if you need to contact him for info. the link with photos:

http://www.taucher.net/tips/tips_detail.html?nummer=152

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom