Fast Moving Coral Disease Alert on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NW Dive Dawg

SDI / TDS Solo Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I know this was first discussed in the Fall of 2022......but here is the latest today from Bonaire Insider.

That certainly looks like SCTLD, hope that is wrong.
Map: https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/...d5b16&extent=-68.8017,11.9105,-67.4545,12.493

30 Bari Reef
31 Front Porch

32 Something Special, caution
33 Town Pier, infected
34 Calabasas, infected
35 18th Palm, infected

36 Windsock, caution
37 Corp Meiss, caution
38 Bachelor Beach, caution

39 Chez Hines
40 Lighthouse Point

Avoid areas of caution and infection.

If SCTLD, then, trying to limit spread by the quarantine measures suggested by STINAPA, is a pipedream. If lucky, these measures might, at best, slow the rate of spread a bit.

Have the scientists even figured out whether this is a virus, bacteria or fungus yet?

Been alerted to it on other Caribbean islands as well, a lot further south than Bonaire

From the AGRRA website. Bonaire has had some negative submissions but has many pending submissions being evaluated. On the map, you can click on a submission and see the photo(s) that were submitted for evaluation. Many of us have seen white coral diseases for many years that are not SCTLD. I'm not at all sure I could accurately identify SCTLD Coral Disease Outbreak - AGRRA

1679925900669.png

From Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease (SCTLD) - Coral Disease & Health Consortium

Etiology​

The cause of STLD is an area of active research. Studies have found the disease to be transmissible between individual corals and between species via direct contact and via a waterborne agent. This, coupled with successful treatment with antibiotics and it’s clustered distribution as it spreads throughout the Caribbean, suggests that some communicable agent is contributing to SCTLD infections, although whether as a primary or a secondary pathogen remains unclear.
At the time of writing, the precise cause of SCTLD remains unknown. There is no histological evidence of bacterial communities consistently associated with diseased tissues; however, microbiological data suggests the potential involvement of the bacterial group Rhodobacterales. Early evidence from transmission electron microscopy has also detected the presence of wide-spread viral particles present in the chloroplasts of the algal endosymbionts, which may be contributing to the disease, though further work is needed to confirm their involvement in SCTLD pathology.

For the very interested, a recent sophisticated study implicating a variety of bacteria in the etiology of SCTLD. The second link is a brief summary from NOAA A meta-analysis of the stony coral tissue loss disease microbiome finds key bacteria in unaffected and lesion tissue in diseased colonies - ISME Communications, Meta-analysis finds key bacteria linked to stony coral disease outbreak This may help explain the apparent efficacy of antibiotic/epoxy paste in the treatment of SCTLD shown by some.

The NOAA strategy for SCTLD https://coast.noaa.gov/data/coralreef_noaa_gov/media/docs/NOAA_SCTLD_Strategy_2020.pdf

This gif animation shows a patch of disease. This last month I have been monitoring the growth of this patch of disease at the Something Special dive site. So far the growth has been slow and it is the only patch I have seen at this site in town. My wife and I are restricting our diving to only one site per day and soaking all gear with fresh water, complete drying and sun exposure before diving another site.

I wonder if they are doing pathogen sampling of rinse tubs at resorts and if they have thought of having a disinfectant rinse basin at each station.

Incidentally, at the same site, there is sometimes a strong current. I have seen a few divers with very high-end camera gear doing macro photography holding location by gripping living coral heads with their hands.

Mike Godsey
Weatherflow.com
iwindsurf.com

Attachments

• Godsey Coaral Disease.gif
    Godsey Coaral Disease.gif
    1 MB · Views: 98
Primer on coral diseases

Back
Top Bottom