Fast Diver Craft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thankyou for posting the picture and video of the Stidd unit . It is almost a carbon copy of a towed unit invented prior . Stick a motor on it and sell them for $ 50,000 "that is how you do business".

Thankyou for posting the picture and video of the Stidd unit . It is almost a carbon copy of a towed unit invented prior . Stick a motor on it and sell them for $ 50,000 "that is how you do business".
Got any pictures of this carbon copy?
I would love to see it.

Pretty sure there are very few sport divers buying that sidd mill unit,
more than likely its governments spending the money

I knew a kid back in high school who built a submarine with his Mom's Blessing. (She paid for the parts) He bought an old fuel tank from the Air Force scrap yard and went to work. When he was finished, he had a wet sub, powered by electric motors on wings, two seats big enough to wear twin tanks while sitting, onboard diver air supply and a separate air tank to blow the ballast water out and float.

He'd tow the thing out to sea, climb in and submerge. It was so maneuverable, he could do barrel rolls with it! It was impressive back in high school in 1975. I hated him because he had college age diver babes hanging off of him wanting to go for rides in his submarine. Ewww. He wasn't even studly like me. Go figure. A Nerd with his own submarine.

Did it look anything like this,
SAM_8880.JPG20190201_103442.jpg

I would love to see it.

View attachment 817686View attachment 817687
Search patents 80's thru 90's . They are nice guys over at Stidd and invited me to demonstrate my machine at their Marathon , Florida test facility 10 years ago . Today owning a house in Fort Pierce , Florida it could happen with their permission .

Search patents 80's thru 90's
Not interested in searching patents, interested in real pictures,
Now I showed you mine, will you show me yours? (Submarines)

They are nice guys over at Stidd and invited me to demonstrate my machine at their Marathon , Florida test facility 10 years ago .
So you showed it specifically to a military contractor? If your was so good why didn't they copy it?
I think a picture on scubaboard it the least of your problems.

Today owning a house in Fort Pierce , Florida it could happen with their permission .
What does this have to do with anything????

I would love to see it.

View attachment 817686View attachment 817687
Yeah yeah yeah...It did look a lot like that except it had a more rounded screen and motors/props on the front wings. I think he used a cut in half Navigators Bubble from some kind of old bomber. He had two of them, one for each diver, so I think he just cut the bubble in half.

Ah well sheeiit! I'm having flashbacks to the mid seventies. The College Age Diver Babes all flocked to him and that danged submarine when they were supposed to be flocking to me! After all, I was the studly young man (at 16) who was the Safety Diver in charge of signing off on their final dive. Even my very own College Age Diver Babe went for a ride in it. Egads! I think I need counseling. I'm sure he smirked at me when they submerged. Sob.

Yeah yeah yeah...It did look a lot like that except it had a more rounded screen and motors/props on the front wings. I think he used a cut in half Navigators Bubble from some kind of old bomber. He had two of them, one for each diver, so I think he just cut the bubble in half.

Ah well sheeiit! I'm having flashbacks to the mid seventies. The College Age Diver Babes all flocked to him and that danged submarine when they were supposed to be flocking to me! After all, I was the studly young man (at 16) who was the Safety Diver in charge of signing off on their final dive. Even my very own College Age Diver Babe went for a ride in it. Egads! I think I need counseling. I'm sure he smirked at me when they submerged. Sob.
👍
If you have any old pictures, I would love to see them.
I love those old subs and the creativity,
Mine is made from a wing fuel tank.

I did not demonstrate or show pictures to Stidd . Are you a retail or recreational DPV manufacture or only a copy and paste dude ?

Sorry no photo's. Yeah, his was an old aircraft wing tank too. All kidding aside: It really was a fantastic thing for a kid to have done. It looked professionally done and worked that way too. He trailered it to the boat launch sight and launched it there. Then we'd tow it out to the dive site behind the boat and he'd take off for parts in the deep unknown. (With a College Age Diver Babe. AARRGGHH)

Only once that I know of did he have a problem. His ballast tank sprung a leak and he turned Turtle. We figured he had a problem when we saw him surface a quarter mile or so from the boat upside down, bottom side up. Then a head popped up next to it, looked around and submerged again. The sub took off, upside down and throwing all kinds of spray in the air from it's props, headed in our general direction for a while and stopped. Again the head looking around, submerging and the sub took off again, in our direction. He did that a couple of more times before we threw him a rope and pulled him in.

The CADB popped up about then laughing about the upside down ride. She stayed belted in because she wasn't sure she could get back in. He had to keep popping up to locate the boat.

To his credit: He was about sixteen years old and a fairly new diver. When asked why he didn't just pop a Finger Flare and wait for us to come get him, he said he didn't feel it was an emergency worth the boat dropping the anchor and maybe stranding some other divers while he got rescued. He had plenty of air and had it under control. He got attaboys from the Dive Master and the Boat Captain, good jobs and cools from the rest of us and the CAD Babes fawned all over him. AARRGGHH Even when stuff goes wrong, the nerdly kid with the submarine prevails.

I did not demonstrate or show pictures to Stidd . Are you a retail or recreational DPV manufacture or only a copy and paste dude ?

Its seems you have alot to say without wanting to say it, based on this and many of your other posts,

Those pictures are my sub,
It was built in the 60s for inspection in a harbor.
I am in the slow process of fixing and updating and modifying it.
To many other project on the go.

Back
Top Bottom