Farting in the big bathtub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:idk:

I want to know if the current decompression algorithms consider the effects of farting?

Well, since the gas in question is not dissolved in the blood (at least I hope not!) then they wouldn't have to take flatus into account.

However, dive boats are may be kind enough to provide a hang bar for the increased buoyancy, or a diver can hold onto the anchor line.:D

Is it possible to fart during a verticle ascent without triggering the ascent rate alarm on your computer?

Should you get the DPV certification or is there a seperate FartDiver certification?

Is it possible to fart during a verticle ascent without triggering the ascent rate alarm on your computer?

Should you get the DPV certification or is there a seperate FartDiver certification?

Gives a new reason to not ascend faster than your bubbles.

Average person isn't at 20-30m, with all air-spaces and contained gas compressed by 2-3 times volume...

I just don't remember farting on a dive. Urinating yes. Farting.. nope.

Pressure makes no difference when farting...and you have no idea what you're missing. I've had some of my best farts at 50-60m.

I fart all the time when diving... It's odd feeling the air bubble move in my wetsuit along my back..

So anyway, farting is the releasing of gas when it reaches a certain volume within your body.. So, as you descend the gas in your colon is shrinking. Lets say you've got a big fart ready at the surface and drop to 80'. Now you have a small bubble in your colon. Do you lose the urge to let one rip? As you dive, your body produces more gas and the bubble reaches the point that it must be released again. Basically the same size bubble as the original, but more dense. So when you let one go at depth, shouldn't it actually consist of more air than the one you had prepared at the surface?

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

Actually, change of pressure after eating beans IS a problem. Army pilots are forbidden to eat the MREs (Meals, Ready-to-Eat) that contain beans if they are to fly within . . .cannot remember, 12 hours? 24 hours?

I don't recall seeing that in AR40-8(if you find a reference, please let me know), but there are certainly some genres of food that most guys will avoid before they relegate themselves to sit in an aircraft they may be unable to exit for any reason for up to 8 hours. Mexican is certainly one of those types of food. Flatulence generally is the least of people's worries in that situation unless you are referring to flatulence with lumps in it.

After a few days in Santa Rosa, NM dining on local cuisine, breaking the seal on a drysuit after a dive can certainly be a religious experience. I generally try to inflate the suit as much as possible once I get to the surface, then bleed that air back out of it on the swim to shore/dock/stairs/etc.

As it pertains to NASA and the subject of this this thread, I do remember reading somewhere that they fed the Mercury astronauts were fed a tightly controlled diet for almost a week before their missions to control the production of excess digestive gas. Apparently, the air supply to their suit went in at the waist, and they were afraid of the guys being overcome by other things that were introduced to the suit's air supply at the waist.

I don't recall seeing that in AR40-8(if you find a reference, please let me know), but there are certainly some genres of food that most guys will avoid before they relegate themselves to sit in an aircraft they may be unable to exit for any reason for up to 8 hours. Mexican is certainly one of those types of food. Flatulence generally is the least of people's worries in that situation unless you are referring to flatulence with lumps in it.

After a few days in Santa Rosa, NM dining on local cuisine, breaking the seal on a drysuit after a dive can certainly be a religious experience. I generally try to inflate the suit as much as possible once I get to the surface, then bleed that air back out of it on the swim to shore/dock/stairs/etc.

As it pertains to NASA and the subject of this this thread, I do remember reading somewhere that they fed the Mercury astronauts were fed a tightly controlled diet for almost a week before their missions to control the production of excess digestive gas. Apparently, the air supply to their suit went in at the waist, and they were afraid of the guys being overcome by other things that were introduced to the suit's air supply at the waist.

Actually, it is written on the MRE's themselves.

I fart all the time when diving... It's odd feeling the air bubble move in my wetsuit along my back..

So anyway, farting is the releasing of gas when it reaches a certain volume within your body.. So, as you descend the gas in your colon is shrinking. Lets say you've got a big fart ready at the surface and drop to 80'. Now you have a small bubble in your colon. Do you lose the urge to let one rip? As you dive, your body produces more gas and the bubble reaches the point that it must be released again. Basically the same size bubble as the original, but more dense. So when you let one go at depth, shouldn't it actually consist of more air than the one you had prepared at the surface?

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

You keep referring to the gas as air. If so can a person or his buddy use them as a redundant or alternate air source? :coffee:

Edit. I just pictured an air share drill. Yikes.

I don't recall seeing that in AR40-8(if you find a reference, please let me know),

Actually, it is written on the MRE's themselves.

Damn, you can find anything on the Internet! :shocked2:

010-7.jpg

You keep referring to the gas as air. If so can a person or his buddy use them as a redundant or alternate air source? :coffee:

"I'd suck a fart out of a donkeys ass if that's what it took[...]" so apparently it can, assuming that equine flautulance is at all comparable to human...

Back
Top Bottom