Farting in the big bathtub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice!!! That relic looks to be from before the days of the chemical heaters that cause people problems with MREs and airplanes now, so it makes sense that the food itself is the issue. I have heard nothing of such a restriction for the last decade or so. Will have to ask the doc if there is still anything on the books on that subject.

Beans and similar foods associated with promoting intestinal gas are comprised of complex polysaccharides. More simply, they are large structures that are not easily digested by the human digestive system. But (no pun intended) the billions of bacteria in your large colon have no problems digesting the polysaccharides from beans or other vegetables. The process of bacterial digestion will result in gas production including methane gases.

It's not the way the food is heated, chemical or other. The way the food is heated has no bearing on the polysaccharides and the dehydration process won't affect the strucure either.

Chemically heated MRE's are very conventiont for boy scouts and camping! Just make sure the tent flaps are open.

When we fart at depth, do we release the normal volume of gas resulting in giant bubbles by the time it reaches the surface - or is our gas already compressed, letting out tiny farts that reach normal size at the surface?

:idk::dork2:
PansSiren - You have presented a very interesting and entertaining thread. We only need 6 or 8 more to get over the 100 hurdle. Can you summarize what you have learned? - Has your question been answered?
What have you learned in 50 words or less?

I usually keep the cummerbund on my BC pretty snug, and I always dive a full-length wetsuit. I have found this is NOT a good plan when exercising the scenario under discussion. This can lead to a head-and-feet-down, backside up trim during your dive. Gotta pop that cummerbund or go inverted to get back in trim.

Reactions: Jax
I'm not bothered by cold, but my wife is, so we're warm water wussies. As a result, I pretty much always wear nothing more than a dive skin (except in the cenotes - then I wear a 3/2). The advantage of this becomes clear, thanks to this thread. No flautulence related bouyancy or trim issues.

Of course, that means I can't use that as an excuse. Damn.

I'm not bothered by cold, but my wife is, so we're warm water wussies. As a result, I pretty much always wear nothing more than a dive skin (except in the cenotes - then I wear a 3/2). The advantage of this becomes clear, thanks to this thread. No flautulence related bouyancy or trim issues.

Of course, that means I can't use that as an excuse. Damn.
So, you can't say, "bad dog, bad dog." ???

Actually an interesting thread on an age old question. We need a grant writer to develop this and acquire funding for a group trip to Bonaire for scientific research into this quandary.

Some facts: Average person farts about 14 times daily.

I guess I am above average :D

Back
Top Bottom